Circle Walking, meditation?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Circle Walking, meditation?

Postby ParryPerson on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:15 am

*newbie please don't flame ...to bad*

I was just walking the circle (well.... ovalish looking circle thing haha) and I was thinking about everything I needed to keep correct, a arm would fall without me knowing it, my shoulders would bunch up and I'd remember to keep rounded, I'd start breathing through the mouth and correct it, my back would curve up and I'd correct it, I'd use the ankle to try and turn myself instead of the waist, I'd try and correct it, my mud step is always out of wack still so I'd keep trying to correct it.

And at the end I thought "Jeez with me thinking about all this stuff while walking how can I meditate on..."

"oh"

I know I want to get to the point where I don't have to "think" about it all, but isn't concentrating on something like this... meditation?

Maybe my lightbulb newbie moment was a busted flashlight moment....haha. Thoughts? Corrections?
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Re: Circle Walking, meditation?

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:19 am

It is not meditation in the classical sense of focusing on feeling states or energy, or emptiness, but you are certainly concentrating and creating new pathways in your mind.
Keep paying attention to detail, it will spill over into other areas of your life and you will get a lot out of it. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 am

I also thought, if this is hard to think about with just walking thrown into the mix making it so much more difficult for me... how hard would it to be moving like a fighter and thinking?

At first I didn't see the point of circle walking, martially, other than training for terrain footing? But I think I can see some major benefits, even if I'm (probably) stretching them a little.

EDIT: Thanks for the post mix
Last edited by ParryPerson on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 am

Actually, circle walking is just as much about developing connections in your body and a way of moving as it is about footwork.
In a couple years you will be able to see palpable changes in your structure when you do martially related activities.
Its really an amazing process :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:16 pm

ParryPerson wrote:I know I want to get to the point where I don't have to "think" about it all, but isn't concentrating on something like this... meditation?

Both taijiquan and bagua can be a kind of self-hypnosis. The movements, doing them evenly are hypnotizing. You really dont need to focues on anything else then the movement. Awareness of movement and a kind of dedication to the moment of "now", will be meditative eonugh.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:36 pm

ParryPerson wrote:*newbie please don't flame ...to bad*

I was just walking the circle (well.... ovalish looking circle thing haha) and I was thinking about everything I needed to keep correct, a arm would fall without me knowing it, my shoulders would bunch up and I'd remember to keep rounded, I'd start breathing through the mouth and correct it, my back would curve up and I'd correct it, I'd use the ankle to try and turn myself instead of the waist, I'd try and correct it, my mud step is always out of wack still so I'd keep trying to correct it.

And at the end I thought "Jeez with me thinking about all this stuff while walking how can I meditate on..."

"oh"

I know I want to get to the point where I don't have to "think" about it all, but isn't concentrating on something like this... meditation?

Maybe my lightbulb newbie moment was a busted flashlight moment....haha. Thoughts? Corrections?

Is n 't this an example of training [with] intention. Intention, no intention: No intention is the real intention.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby gretel on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Sounds to me something like Buddhist mindfulness meditation, specifically mindfulness of the content of thinking. You're not just thinking those corrective thoughts but you are aware that you are thinking them. Also probably mindfulness of feeling and movement in the body. Certainly concentration. Not on a single fixed object but on a flowing, moving object.

gretel
gretel
Great Old One

Postby Inner_man on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Its about training the mind and body "to connect". All the internal arts have this in common. Training the physical body with the right intention (mind), relaxed breathing and proper guidance is the path we all travel but it takes time so be patient - its worth it.

We were all noobs once and have literally been through what you are experiencing now, so keep practising - and dont be afraid to ask

Welcome to the long and winding road. I hope this helps
"Deja Moo" - When you think youve heard this bullshit before..........
Inner_man
Mingjing

Postby count on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:07 am

Internalizing the action, like walking or riding a bike, your body takes over to make the adjustments and corrections for you. Than you are in the "now" and ready for action. You don't think about balance or coordination, you just adjust to the road and traffic.

Every thing is a meditation. The key to any meditation is not doing it. It's how much you can hold on to after your done. It takes consistent practice over time before, in the words of Bruce Lee, I do not hit, it hits...".

Best advice, keep thinking about all the details during practice.

Last edited by count on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby David Boxen on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:49 am

Parry,

How slowly are you walking the circle? I suggest that the slower you go the more opportunity you give yourself to feel everything that is happening and make the necessary corrections along the way.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby mixjourneyman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:29 am

David Boxen wrote:Parry,

How slowly are you walking the circle? I suggest that the slower you go the more opportunity you give yourself to feel everything that is happening and make the necessary corrections along the way.

This is extremely useful advice. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan