Chinese Wrestling - Single leg

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Chinese Wrestling - Single leg

Postby XiaoXiong on Sat May 31, 2014 8:04 am

Working with Eric Paulson student Johnny Hendricks, I saw a lot of stuff from their Greco was the same as bagua.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Pipefighter,PhD on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 pm

CSW is pretty cool. Searching Paulson freestyle wrestling will yield some results. But greco has no acknowledgement of the legs, either standing or on the ground. That is a major hole if you're talking martial arts. Even Couture touches the legs in the ufc, which makes his application 100% not greco. All US greco guys compete in other forms of wrestling before they get to the olympic level.

I like Eric Paulson's quick kills. Shuai Chiao builds directly into that kind of stuff. Greco really doesn't

There is no room in a "single leg" or "leg seizing" discussion for Greco. In Greco Roman you cannot leg seize, inner hook, outer hook, inner twist, outer twist, inner sickle, outer sickle, leg block, leg break, leg spring, sharpen, heard, sweep, fireman's carry, double leg, single leg, hand block the leg, front cut, grape vine- or any of it's follow up tilts or pins, or anything else involving anyone's legs, ever. It kills me that greco get's recognition in martial arts. Simply marketing. Paulson isn't a greco guy either.

Shuai Chiao is a much more involved art than Greco ever was.
Last edited by Pipefighter,PhD on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang wrote:In order to make anything truly belong to you, you have to take it apart, understand it, put it back together any way that you want to.

"If you have an ugly wife you have to be good at hopping"
Pipefighter,PhD
Mingjing

Postby Dajenarit on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Shuai Jiao life! ;D
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Not much technique discussion in RSF lately.

Let me throw in another "single leg" by using your leg to get your opponent's leg. My teacher used this move in a challenge fight (he initiated the challenge) against a Judo master in Beijing 东交民巷 many years ago.

Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Wang laoshi, your channel is really helpful. Thanks for uploading.
Last edited by Ian on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 pm

That single leg variation looks sweet. Where are you trying to impact the leg to knock it up? Side of the knee? Muscle above it? Or is that even important?

Thanks for posting.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 pm

shawnsegler wrote:Where are you trying to impact the leg to knock it up? Side of the knee? Muscle above it? Or is that even important?

There is a pressure point on the inside of your upper leg. But the main thing is not to cause pain but to "bounce" your opponent's leg to be off the ground.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:04 pm

johnwang wrote:
shawnsegler wrote:Where are you trying to impact the leg to knock it up? Side of the knee? Muscle above it? Or is that even important?

There is a pressure point on the inside of your upper leg. But the main thing is not to cause pain but to "bounce" your opponent's leg to be off the ground.

Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like something that would require some finesse to apply.

Thanks!

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Its probably OT but do swai jow guys train off the knees? If so then wondering if there much adaptation of the moves or if there are new movesets added or just do what comes natuturally?
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:03 am

dspyrido wrote:Its probably OT but do swai jow guys train off the knees? If so then wondering if there much adaptation of the moves or if there are new movesets added or just do what comes natuturally?

The "knee strike" is part of the "leg skill". What's important is to use your hands movement to cover the knee strike. If your opponent moves that leg back faster than you can get his leg, you just attack his other leg.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:17 am

johnwang wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Its probably OT but do swai jow guys train off the knees? If so then wondering if there much adaptation of the moves or if there are new movesets added or just do what comes natuturally?

The "knee strike" is part of the "leg skill". What's important is to use your hands movement to cover the knee strike. If your opponent moves that leg back faster than you can get his leg, you just attack his other leg.

Allow me to clarify my question as I was probably not clear. I think you are referring to the knee cover like at 1:47 in the following.

What I was wondering is if shuai jiao was also trained like in the following clip (forward to 0:44)

I don't think there is any grappling off the back in sj but since mats are being used I was curious if off the knees was practiced in sj. If so I was interested in how it would look and whether it had similarities with stand up or if there where different moves.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 pm

dspyrido wrote:What I was wondering is if shuai jiao was also trained like in the following clip (forward to 0:44)

No! In SC if any 2 points (such as 2 knees) of your body besides your feet touching the ground, that round is over.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 pm

johnwang wrote:No! In SC if any 2 points (such as 2 knees) of your body besides your feet touching the ground, that round is over.

That clears it. Cheers!
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Pipefighter,PhD on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:52 am

One thing Chinese wrestling single leg has that western wrestling single leg does not:

Finish with standing leg lock.

Pretty easy to get when your opponent is thinking about his landing, or expecting you to crash on him and you still have his ankle, still standing.
johnwang wrote:In order to make anything truly belong to you, you have to take it apart, understand it, put it back together any way that you want to.

"If you have an ugly wife you have to be good at hopping"
Pipefighter,PhD
Mingjing

Postby yeniseri on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:08 pm

I think that Western wrestling did not develop 'single' leg over the ages but I have seen it used with some of the better know wrestlers who, despite being "jammed up', were able to pull off the technique.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan