Mysterious taiji power

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Mysterious taiji power

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Modesty and humility are rare virtues in the martial arts world these days! :/
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby XiaoXiong on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Pipefighter,PhD wrote:
XiaoXiong wrote:Dunno never tried. I don't jump people or whatever. I do throw people around pretty well. Mostly they seem to think that I'm really good at wrestling when we do stand up. Many have asked about my experience, but when I tell them what I've been doing they're like wtf?? It's often like they either don't believe me or don't believe that what I'm doing should work so well or that I should be that good. The Muay Thai and Kali coach is an Eric Paulson guy under Johhny Hendricks, and he got really mad, and won't wrestle with me anymore. So yeah mostly people just seem to think they should be better, or I shouldn't be that good.
Jess

I'm sorry, which eric paulson guy got mad at you and refuses to roll because you said your bacground with wrestling is actually IMA? Or he refuses to roll because you are using IMA in rolling?
This is very confusing to me as a wrestler, catch wrestler, with some time in Paulson's system. I'm curious what exactly happened that made a Combat Submission Wrestling coach with MT and Kali experience shy away from you. Especially if you are saying that you beat him rolling so he refuses to roll with you any more. Please, describe the encounter!

Well first he and all his students couldn't take me down in free sparring and I got some good takedowns some was mad. He started cheering for people whenever they'd spar with me. Then we were rolling in jits and I got a good closed guard with a nice hand deep in the collar. He stood up in my closed guard and when I grabbed for the choke he slammed me on the mat, which knocked the wind out of me and is strictly forbidden, then he punched me in the balls and talked some shit to the effect of, " remember that I always win". I don't see a lot of virtue in modesty. I like honesty better. Honesty is my key virtue. After all the first thing the Buddha said not to do was lying, not killing or stealing or cheating or imbibing, but lying is the first thing. Humility and Modesty are not necessarily lies, but they aren't necessarily honest either.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 pm

XiaoXiong wrote: It's often like they either don't believe me or don't believe that what I'm doing should work so well or that I should be that good.

Maybe this is why you keep attracting haters.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Ian on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Pipefighter,PhD on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 pm

XiaoXiong wrote:Well first he and all his students couldn't take me down in free sparring and I got some good takedowns some was mad. He started cheering for people whenever they'd spar with me. Then we were rolling in jits and I got a good closed guard with a nice hand deep in the collar. He stood up in my closed guard and when I grabbed for the choke he slammed me on the mat, which knocked the wind out of me and is strictly forbidden, then he punched me in the balls and talked some shit to the effect of, " remember that I always win".
Jess

Regarding the slam, just to get it out of the way, a lot of "illegal in a bjj tournament" techniques are practiced in practice. Not everywhere. But i think every leg and ankle lock i like involves heel hooking and knee reaping, and i use these and a number of others in practice when i cross train in mma haunts, and they use them on me. But we are friendly, so i have no fear of knee injury, and neither do they. Machado schools seem to do this more than Gracie schools that i've experienced, BUT I AINT NO BJJ GUY, so that isnt a conclusive statement. But CWS guys should be well versed in leg work and slamming, and doing that in practice is not bad form.

Regarding everything else; if that is true, I think Eric Paulson would be pretty displeased to know that someone carrying one of his ranks is behaving like this, and would probably respond strongly against the local coach that gave him that rank. Those are serious claims to make! An instructor punching a student in the balls while rolling?? That should be dealt with. You should contact Eric and complain. Unless there is more to the story? But i would make sure i was addressing the situation completely if i were going to bring up a situation that would embarrass a system and master before i posted it online.

There could be some dick head Kali/catch/cws guy out there. I know a bjj blackbelt who was told in public by Royce Gracie, "you would have gotten this belt 5 years ago if you werent such an a.s.s.hole" so yeah, i know there are some bad apples out there, but seriously.
Tell the main guy rather than post online how some anonymous Paulson trainee got whipped by you and refuses to roll with you and punched you in the balls. Thats pretty harsh words to throw out there. Even at this point as far as wrestling goes, challenge matches are still the way for us to settle things. Sounds like you need to settle things!
johnwang wrote:In order to make anything truly belong to you, you have to take it apart, understand it, put it back together any way that you want to.

"If you have an ugly wife you have to be good at hopping"
Pipefighter,PhD
Mingjing

Postby XiaoXiong on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Actually it was in jiu jitsu class, and I did complain to Pedro. He wasn't really supportive, but thinking about where he came from at Helio's school, I just let it go.
Jess
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:31 pm

I love how a thread with title "Mysterious Taiji Power" came to talking about being slammed from closed guard and punched in the balls. -bow- ;D
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby XiaoXiong on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:36 pm

It was actually a good experience. I often look at bjj like ok this is a game, not real self defense, but that particular moment changed my perspective permanently. We all knew not to do that. When he broke the rules willfully, I remembered that it should be real self defense, and its up to me to make it such.
Jess
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am

XiaoXiong wrote:It was actually a good experience. I often look at bjj like ok this is a game, not real self defense, but that particular moment changed my perspective permanently. We all knew not to do that. When he broke the rules willfully, I remembered that it should be real self defense, and its up to me to make it such.
Jess

Bjj I think in its truest form is pure self defense that can be used in sporting matches not a sport that can be used in self defense.

Rickson gracie has a new organization that addresses this issue.
Rickson talks about invisible power. Pretty interesting in my opinion.
Last edited by bruce on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Dmitri wrote:I love how a thread with title "Mysterious Taiji Power" came to talking about being slammed from closed guard and punched in the balls. -bow- ;D

kind of reflects the whole site where no real examples of IMA in use are talked about in depth
as much as the bjj, mma, what ever.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Sean on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Which real examples of IMA in use?
Sean
Wuji

Postby XiaoXiong on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:00 pm

Well the bjj and stuff is being done openly by lots if people so it's easy to talk about. Taiji is harder to talk about. It's Taoist like that, so yeah. Nature of reality is what is.
Jess
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:55 pm

on an "internal martial arts forum" seems like it would be the other way around.

The difference wasn’t necessarily my posture, but the way the shoulder allowed me to connect to him more powerfully than with the broad surface of my chest. The shoulder represented a narrow point through which I could direct my “base” or my weight—neither word is appropriate, yet they are closest I can think of without using the word “energy”—a term I despise because of its mystical martial arts connotations.

http://jiujitsumania.com/technique/acce ... e-visible/

the "mystical martial arts connotations" are for the most part the way its explained within the cultures those arts come from,
they'er not "mystical" there.
Of course words like "energy" from this culture, used in this way don't quite
explain it as does the word "force" when used in other contexts.
like what he talks about.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:40 am

punching intentionally the groins usually ends internal discussion ;)
but
in the same time is the livin` POOF, that X.X., has been using mysterious taiji power , and JJ instructor just showed that he is hopless ! /and is asshole btw/
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:38 pm

I know, right? It's hard to believe that any martial artist would lack personal integrity, eh? ;) ::)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bugang on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:36 pm

ors wrote:OK Jess!

Here is his teacher, Li Jingwu:

Do you think that they do the same thing, or not? If they do the same thing, why the reactions of their partners differ so much? If they don't do the same thing, which one is better?

Örs

I would say it's about the same thing, the first vid is hard jin, the second softer jin with some external movement added (because of a less experienced/connected student). I felt what's happening in the first clip many times, especially the "An" is well known to me. No doubt she pushed his root.
*Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other Plans*
Bugang
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan