Clear Tai Chi?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Clear Tai Chi?

Postby JoeWood on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Do any of you gentlemen have first hand or even second hand experience training/seminar/demo with Richard Clear? I am new to the world of internal martial arts and am interested in branching out from my karate regiment. So is this guy legit? Why or why not?

Here's a link for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb4GxGDCVAI

I have viewed a handful of his material, however he has more videos on his channels than I care to sift through.

Thanks,

Joe
JoeWood
Anjing

Re: Clear Tai Chi?

Postby XiaoXiong on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:21 pm

I've had him recommended. It seems that his ideas can be useful, I am not that familiar myself, but I would check it out.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby JoeWood on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:32 am

Thank you Jess. I was lurking on this forum for about a week waiting for my account to activate. Your posts have been especially helpful for my understanding of some of the basic concepts of internal martial arts.

I watched through Mr. Clear's push hand tutorials. It is definitely different than any other push hands clips I have seen, however, it gives me a good idea on how to start building a foundation of new skills to integrate into my martial training.

Joe
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby XiaoXiong on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Hey Joe, check out the video I just posted in the Great Taiji Stuff thread, with Mark Rasmus. He's got some good stuff I think.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby chud on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:20 pm

There have been several threads on him over the years, I think the summary was that he did spend some time in China with some good teachers, but some here don't like his style of marketing. I like his videos though.
Good clear instruction (no pun intended). ;D
chud
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Ive met Richard and can say he has some skills. Go see him rather than listen to what some net rabble says.

Enough said.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby JoeWood on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:53 am

Jess,
I watched the first one you posted in the other thread. Great resource, thanks!

Dr. Dugas,
My gut feeling was that Mr. Clear is the real deal. I just wanted to take in some net rabble as a second opinion. Thanks for your input.

Joe
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:10 pm

He has Clearly had some great teachers, but I am unClear about his focus. For me he seems to teach too much stuff, but if you are going to live on teaching martial arts, sometimes you might have no choice to do something else. But he seems to have a great enthusiasm and some good teaching skills. Judging from his vids, he goes from Clearity to Clearity. ;D

Bad jokes and puns intended. :D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby JoeWood on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:31 pm

*UPDATE*

I just got back home last night from a 3 day intensive Chi Energy healing workshop with Richard Clear at his school. The dude certainly has a unique feel/quality in his body. I got to push hands with him for a few minutes, he felt ghostly & rock solid at the same time. He let me feel his abdomen while he sank chi and it literally felt like his entire guts dropped out into the floor.

The nature of this workshop exposed me to "empty force" but the application was anything but martial. I felt it inside my own body and used it to feel inside other people's body to clear energy blockages and such. It was very much a practice requiring you to be receptive, every time I thought about blocking someone out while they were working with/on me neither of us could feel anything. I felt enough to see the progression from what we were working on to using this kind of method to physically make somebody move. There were a few times when I felt like my partner touched/lightly slapped/gently pushed me when I could clearly see both of their hands several inches away from my body.

I was also impressed with a few of his students that have been training with him for 4-5 years being able to demonstrate a degree of the same sort of body quality that he has (nowhere close to his level). I did not get the chance to spar with anybody while I was there and the guys that I chatted with gave me the impression that they don't do much contact sparring but they do tons of push hands.

To sum it up, I experienced a whole lot of the kind of shit that you don't generally run around telling everybody that you know about because they'll think you're f'ing nuts! The soft power quality that one can gain from his training methods seems legit and I was able to see a distinct progression in skill level between the guys that have been there for 1-2 years and the ones that have been there 4-5 years. I didn't meet anyone that had been training with him for longer than 5 years but he said he has guys that have been training under him for 10-20.
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:36 pm

To sum it up, I experienced a whole lot of the kind of shit that you don't generally run around telling everybody that you know about because they'll think you're f'ing nuts!

yep ;)

let me try this.

now that you've felt something different does it change the way you might
have viewed some of clips posted here?

just curious
windwalker
Wuji

Postby JoeWood on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:20 pm

windwalker wrote:yep ;)

let me try this.

now that you've felt something different does it change the way you might
have viewed some of clips posted here?

just curious

Heck yes!! I had 11+ hrs on the road driving back home and spent a lot of time reflecting on some of the clips that you and others have posted recently. I haven't had time to go back and watch them again tho with Thanksgiving coming up. I have a decent foundation now for this kind of practice and already have a few people lined up to do some energy healing work on.
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:54 pm

;)

Last edited by shawnsegler on Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:58 pm

JoeWood wrote:Do any of you gentlemen have first hand or even second hand experience training/seminar/demo with Richard Clear? I am new to the world of internal martial arts and am interested in branching out from my karate regiment. So is this guy legit? Why or why not?

Here's a link for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb4GxGDCVAI

I have viewed a handful of his material, however he has more videos on his channels than I care to sift through.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe, I have not met Clear himself, But I did get to do some push hands and push hands with striking with one of
his guys Jeff, Jeff has like 40 years of taiji so I don't think it's all from Clears. I think it's from Uncle Bill's William De Thouars.
Who from what I heard is real good. Any way's yeah, Their good! Would recommend...
Last edited by willie on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby JoeWood on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:24 pm

shawnsegler wrote:;)

I'm sure that's what I looked like on the last hour of my drive home! ;D
JoeWood
Anjing

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:50 am

JoeWood wrote:I just got back home last night from a 3 day intensive Chi Energy healing workshop with Richard Clear at his school.

Hi Joe, what's your interest in this? Does it relate to your martial arts? Just curious.

Thanks
Michael

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan