Grab

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Grab

Postby Ian on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:20 pm

daniel pfister wrote:Choice 3. We should try hard not to block/deflect yet still make contact with the person's arm while absorbing and redirecting their energy.

How do you "not deflect, yet redirect their energy"?

deflect
cause (something) to change direction by interposing something; turn aside from a straight course.

I put up some clips in the videos section, and you're welcome to check out my youtube channel. But this disagreement won't be resolved by looking at clips because I readily admit it's something very hard to see when done anywhere near full speed.

There are no clips on your channel of you working against punches.
Ian

Postby dspyrido on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:59 pm

bartekb wrote:solving this problem will be not going into punch range with a boxer - but then is it not the range where shuai jiao excell above other grappling styles?
Damn I wihs there was some Shuai Jiao school near where I live :( Internet discussion its just going in circles:)

I'm guessing you are referring to the nice little slip and punch to the face picture you posted but keep in mind - a boxer will aim for a target like the head or torso. They dont win points hitting arms and 16oz gloves dont give you much control. A grip fighter will aim for a limb (normally arm) control first as a setup to the next move. This puts their range at a slightly longer than the (pure) boxer.

Of course this generalization all depends on the skill of the fighters involved.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby daniel pfister on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Ian wrote:
daniel pfister wrote:Choice 3. We should try hard not to block/deflect yet still make contact with the person's arm while absorbing and redirecting their energy.

How do you "not deflect, yet redirect their energy"?

deflect
cause (something) to change direction by interposing something; turn aside from a straight course.

Very important distinction. To be more clear perhaps I should have said "make contact with the person's arm while absorbing and then redirecting their energy." When we catch a ball we normally do not say that the ball's course is "deflected." Deflecting it would be batting at it in the air or holding your arm up at such an angle that it glances off of it. Catching something coming directly at us requires some degree of yielding, so that we are slowing the ball's force by making contact while we are moving in the same direction, however briefly. (I have caught a baseball by simply stopping it with my palm, and it hurt quite a bit.) If it's a punch, the catching energy gives you a bit of time to then flank the opponent often attacking/controlling the extending joints.

I think the main point is that we're initially not trying to change the direction of the force and yet still make contact. That's what we call yielding.

If this distinction isn't made and understood, then there really is no advantage to practicing push hands or most of the unique IMA energies, and we'd all just be better off studying wing chun, BJJ, or shuai jiao with JW. :P

I put up some clips in the videos section, and you're welcome to check out my youtube channel. But this disagreement won't be resolved by looking at clips because I readily admit it's something very hard to see when done anywhere near full speed.
There are no clips on your channel of you working against punches.

I am happy to work with people that throw punches, the energies involved are the same. What I won't do is put up a clip of me asking someone to throw a punch at me and showing my response because that would be a far too manufactured situation than what I'm looking to train, and I doubt it would change anyone's mind as it is.
Last edited by daniel pfister on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Alas most so called internal artists think of themselves as the batter not the catcher
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 pm

daniel pfister wrote:Catching something coming directly at us requires some degree of yielding,..

When someone punches at your face, how do you "catching it coming directly at you" and "yield"?
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:12 pm

johnwang wrote:
daniel pfister wrote:Catching something coming directly at us requires some degree of yielding,..

When someone punches at your face, how do you "catching it coming directly at you" and "yield"?

Learn Taijiquan. ;)
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby Ralteria on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Someone mentioned catching a baseball barehanded a while back ( not the reference in this thread). The way you hold your hand/body doing that is very similar to how one holds bricks and stays "sung"(another recent reference).

Indecently, its still a deflection.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby daniel pfister on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Again, if we cannot distinguish between a catch and a deflection then we also can't make a distinction between IMA practice and other MA practices.

Put it another way: IMA/TCC ppl believe there is a clear distinction, while others do not. No amount of clips will change that belief IMO, and there isn't much point in discussing the matter further.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan