Filipino styles

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Filipino styles

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Ven Fish with the backhand of realness. IPPON!

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Ken

Are you refering to the technique where they grab the blade itself bare handed? That one worried me too. It was explained to me that if one uses a very tight grip so the blade doesn't slip in your hand, then you wont get cut. :o
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Yes - several variations were shown on that one. There were a couple of others as well.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 pm

AllanF wrote:If you mean that teachers have a huge respect for the man out of what he has achived and then that respect being further enhanced by the fact that he works just as hard if not harder than people half his age, the fact that he is humble about everything he has achived, then yes i suspect he did get special treatment...does that mean he isn't deserving of his black belt and his 3rd dan? ::)

Looks like you missed the point but hey if what you say helps you sleep at night then no skin off my back.

BTW this is not the first time I have heard of market worthy martial artist brand being fast tracked (or offered & then rejecting the accelerated path) through the ranks to a black belt status. Hell look around the net and you will find that there have been honorary black belts given out posthumously. Kind of like the pope gives out sainthood. But if you believe in the importance of a belt or sainthood then who am I to shatter the dreams. ::)
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 pm

dspyrido wrote:BTW this is not the first time I have heard of market worthy martial artist brand being fast tracked (or offered & then rejecting the accelerated path) through the ranks to a black belt status. Hell look around the net and you will find that there have been honorary black belts given out posthumously. Kind of like the pope gives out sainthood. But if you believe in the importance of a belt or sainthood then who am I to shatter the dreams. ::)

In Judo, 8th degree and up is usually honorific.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
dspyrido wrote:BTW this is not the first time I have heard of market worthy martial artist brand being fast tracked (or offered & then rejecting the accelerated path) through the ranks to a black belt status. Hell look around the net and you will find that there have been honorary black belts given out posthumously. Kind of like the pope gives out sainthood. But if you believe in the importance of a belt or sainthood then who am I to shatter the dreams. ::)

In Judo, 8th degree and up is usually honorific.

Same as in many other styles with a formulised ranking sytem. The problem does not lie in the relevance of the grading (although this can be abused to) but on statements like "woooowie look at the number of stripes on his red/black/lavender belt. Plus he wears a pink gi or red silk suit. He must be good. Oh and he did it in just 3 weeks. He is awesome."
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby AllanF on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:20 am

dspyrido wrote:
AllanF wrote:If you mean that teachers have a huge respect for the man out of what he has achived and then that respect being further enhanced by the fact that he works just as hard if not harder than people half his age, the fact that he is humble about everything he has achived, then yes i suspect he did get special treatment...does that mean he isn't deserving of his black belt and his 3rd dan? ::)

Looks like you missed the point but hey if what you say helps you sleep at night then no skin off my back.

BTW this is not the first time I have heard of market worthy martial artist brand being fast tracked (or offered & then rejecting the accelerated path) through the ranks to a black belt status. Hell look around the net and you will find that there have been honorary black belts given out posthumously. Kind of like the pope gives out sainthood. But if you believe in the importance of a belt or sainthood then who am I to shatter the dreams. ::)

FYI i couldn't give a rats ass about belts but while DI is a "brand" as you put it he is also a fanatical trainer, and when he started BJJ he pretty much studied it full time. That is the whole and only point that it truly relevant. Ergo the respect people have for him. A Brand can get you in the door and even get you a *cough* belt but it can not get you 'earned' respect. In addition it is testament to the man that he at the age of 59 and given his extensive knowledge and skill in various other arts that he should attempt to start BJJ in the first place not only that but even now in his 70s he still trains like a beast. Doesn't that mean anything to people? -shrug-

However that is way off topic.

a nice clip of Mark Wiley and Herminio Binas.

And Tatang Illustrisimo

Last edited by AllanF on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
AllanF

Postby TrainingDummy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:35 am

dspyrido wrote:Rays stuff is awesome but what's a double kill?

Where you both "stab" each other in a vital area at the same time during free sparring.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 am

kenneth fish wrote: I also felt that they tended to become very programmed within their own art and drills - to the point where if you were doing something outside of their program they did not know how to respond. .

Yes, that is a familiar problem with how the arts are commonly taught. And it is entirely unnecessary - as soon as people have a reasonable ability to do some drill or combo, they should quickly transition to learning to break out of it, or break it down as well as deal with unpredictability. There are far too many other important aspects to learn without wasting time on minutiae that have little application.

Personally I started with Balintawak about 12 years ago or so, but didn't 'stick' with it! I started again with Rene Latosa's system about 6 years ago since being on the left coast. His entire teaching approach avoids repetitive and predictable drills. Plus I got to pick up a whole new bunch of sound effects to make when hitting people!

Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:16 am

AllanF wrote:And Tatang Illustrisimo

And all those Ilustrisimo clips in one convenient video! Excellent.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I have tens of hours of tatang with tony and Edgar
These are real gems
They are the real deal
For you guys in the states I have seen film of Christopher ricketts son who moves just like tony
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Pipefighter,PhD on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Teazer wrote:. Plus I got to pick up a whole new bunch of sound effects to make when hitting people!

Hahahah!

Code: Select all
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=d39eea649c28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=945_1389 ... comments=1

If the teacher explains the purpose of the drills, they can have a lot of value. But if you have already been in some street fights with blunt objects involved it can be really confusing playing around with hitting each others sticks. I was in a class full of black belts to begin with so i was playing catchup and didnt get the drills for a while. My instructor finally explained to me that we never really aim for the stick in the drill. We aim for the hand, but hit the stick next to it to feel the contact without breaking fingers. We aim for the head and he blocks. We dont aim for the stick. He also explained that the drill was not to be followed in a fight, it was only there to build eye-hand speed, good form and posture. And following up a drill like high/low/full box with some free form strike/block drills helps to avoid getting in a drill rut.
Eye hand speed really drops immediately when you arent training regularly though, even if you think your still that sharp...

Also, grabbing the side of the blade tightly while your other hand is around your opponents thumb or wrist is a valid way to keep the blade out of your abdomen or throat, and innosanto didnt invent that technique. That does leave your opponents other hand free to punch you, but i'll take some strikes while i work a throw/trip and keep both hands on his edged side. We're trying hard to break his thumb at that point anyway, right?
johnwang wrote:In order to make anything truly belong to you, you have to take it apart, understand it, put it back together any way that you want to.

"If you have an ugly wife you have to be good at hopping"
Pipefighter,PhD
Mingjing

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:50 pm

Here's some lovely knife stuff from Alvin...even though it's Indonesian.

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Nice
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Ken, in Toronto it wasn't with Nanoy was it?
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan