got a new toy coming

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

got a new toy coming

Postby vagabond on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 am

i've never really done any training with knives. i'm thinking i can pretty much just treat it as if my hand were empty, as it's small enough i should still be able to use my hand to grip, etc. but, any suggestions for drills, etc?
Last edited by vagabond on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
vagabond
Huajing

Re: got a new toy coming

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:38 am

That looks like it's actually TSA-friendly, since they finally relaxed their damn IDIOTIC original restrictions...

*EDIT*
Ah, I take that back. Looks like that was just a proposal and the actual rules are still as IDIOTIC as ever. I.e. ANY knives prohibited (other than plastic or "butter knives"), and yet at the same time I can bring scissors with 4-inch blades, or a 7-inch long screwdriver. WTF, as always. :-X -argh-
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 am

possible rope dart?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby vagabond on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:55 am

hah! thanks Bill, but i'd rather keep it simple. Dmitri, that's why i got it. i wanted something small and not unreasonable or scary looking, that would serve as well for breaking down boxes as anything else.

i plan on getting a blunt edged trainer made up for it, so any suggestions would be welcome. i know some of you have done kali, silat, escrima y daga. hook it up!
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:15 am

vagabond wrote:that's why i got it. i wanted something small and not unreasonable

Careful man, I think TSA will confiscate it... They have their own definition for "unreasonable"...

This is "a knife" by their standard:

I'm not joking.

I wouldn't risk it with them...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby vagabond on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:34 am

i'm not getting on a plane any time soon . . .
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Jianhua on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:23 pm

vagabond wrote:i've never really done any training with knives. i'm thinking i can pretty much just treat it as if my hand were empty, as it's small enough i should still be able to use my hand to grip, etc. but, any suggestions for drills, etc?

Get some training if you plan to use this for more than cutting boxes. Drills won't help without partner practice. If the knife comes out into the mix it's possible for it to be used against you. If you absolutly must use it to protect your life your assailant should not know you have it until its too late. If you have not done so already, familiarize yourself with local laws regarding knives and self defense with a weapon.

Peace!
Jianhua
Mingjing

Postby chud on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Dmitri wrote:That looks like it's actually TSA-friendly, since they finally relaxed their damn IDIOTIC original restrictions...

*EDIT*
Ah, I take that back. Looks like that was just a proposal and the actual rules are still as IDIOTIC as ever. I.e. ANY knives prohibited (other than plastic or "butter knives"), and yet at the same time I can bring scissors with 4-inch blades, or a 7-inch long screwdriver. WTF, as always. :-X -argh-

Last time I travelled TSA confiscated an apple peeler that I had in my backpack.
That's right, an APPLE PEELER.
So TSA is just as loony as ever.
chud
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Yeah truth about TSA being ridiculous. As a waiter there are certain things I'm generally never without, a lighter and a wine key being the top among them. After I had the third wine key taken away I stopped carrying them but it's certainly stupid. Shawn threatens stewardess with a corkscrew screaming "take this plane to Cuba!"

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Hey sorry vagabond, didn't mean to start a derail... Hopefully it'll get back on topic now.

(I'm no expert in that area so I can't offer anything of substance on-the-topic... so I'll be quiet now. :-X)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:10 pm

*Presumption of Unlawful Intent [P.L. 265.15 (4)]: "The possession by any person of any dagger, dirk, stilleto, dangerous knife or any other weapon, instrument, appliance or substance designed, made, or adapted for use primarily as a weapon, is presumptive evidence of intent to use the same unlawfully against another".

*This presumption can not be used for a razor blade, box cutter or knife that is not designed, made or adapted for use primarily as a weapon. Without the presumption, independent evidence such as manner of use, circumstances of possession, or statements obtained, are required to make out probable cause that the weapon was possessed with intent to use unlawfully.

*if the individual arrested for CPW 4 (1), (2), (3), or (5) has ever been convicted OF ANY CRIME, the offense becomes CPW3 (D Felony). P.L. 265.02 (1)

*DAT ELIGIBLE? CPW 4 offenders can be DAT'ed (if otherwise eligible). But remember, a previous conviction can disqualify if the offense becomes a felony as specified above.
http://attackproof.com/laws-regarding-knives.html

not to side track the thread
might be something to think about.
Its a toy, until its used.

web site might be interesting
for those interested in this aspect.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Pipefighter,PhD on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Jianhua wrote:
vagabond wrote:i've never really done any training with knives. i'm thinking i can pretty much just treat it as if my hand were empty, as it's small enough i should still be able to use my hand to grip, etc. but, any suggestions for drills, etc?

Get some training if you plan to use this for more than cutting boxes. Drills won't help without partner practice. If the knife comes out into the mix it's possible for it to be used against you. If you absolutly must use it to protect your life your assailant should not know you have it until its too late. If you have not done so already, familiarize yourself with local laws regarding knives and self defense with a weapon.

Peace!

+1
I would also suggest you be really careful who you train with. Thinking you have skill when a knife is involved because you trained under some wanna bee can have fatal consequences. Better to feel fear and respond with fury than to feel inappropriate confidence and get a real shock. Better to learn 1 effective technique well than 50 dis arms, none at the speed of a fight.
If your gonna drill solo and not get training, drill getting to your knife in under 1 second. Throw a ball at the wall, draw your knife, catch the ball. Practice grip strength on the knife and stab wood, gently at first so you don't cut your fingers.
Stay safe. It's a mean world
johnwang wrote:In order to make anything truly belong to you, you have to take it apart, understand it, put it back together any way that you want to.

"If you have an ugly wife you have to be good at hopping"
Pipefighter,PhD
Mingjing

Postby vagabond on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:58 pm

daggers, dirks, and stilettos all have two sharpened edges. hence in the eyes of the law this is none of these. not being automatic (or folding for that matter) and having a single bladed edge under the length of four inches this knife is perfectly legal to carry and conceal, whether it be deemed a tool or a weapon, in the state of connecticut and most others. i won't be taking it to massachussets, new jersey or california. thank you all for your concern.

my first weapons training, iaido, came at the age of twelve from a man who was a veteran of several styles of karate, weapons instructor to the CT staties, and a sniper for north haven swat. my first priority is not to put anyone's eye out, you can all breathe again. does anyone here know anything about knives that doesn't also pertain to statutes or worrying?

thank you, pipefighter, for keeping it relevant
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:53 pm

vagabond wrote:but, any suggestions for drills, etc?

-Find a trainer version, preferably steel, of the knife you own. E.g. this is what I use, because I own a Delica

-Structured drills leading up to sparring. Eye protection and mouth guards. Steve Morris' knife DVDs are great for ideas.

Last edited by Ian on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby Alexatron on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 am

Dmitri wrote:
vagabond wrote:that's why i got it. i wanted something small and not unreasonable

Careful man, I think TSA will confiscate it... They have their own definition for "unreasonable"...

This is "a knife" by their standard:

I'm not joking.

I wouldn't risk it with them...

Good lord looks as if you've been doing too much Giant Hand Conditioning!
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan