My Shifu's Yang Taiji

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

My Shifu's Yang Taiji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 pm

MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: My Shifu's Yang Taiji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Is this your current teacher? I would love to see his XYLH.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Yes, it is. I don't think that he has a XYLH video up. He said that when it cools down in the autumn he'd dig out his traditional clothes and let me film him with a better camera.

He also has a 20 posture Chen form that he has begun teaching me (to replace the 83 and 71 forms that I "learned" before). The movements are at the same height as his Yang Taijiquan because he said that 90% of all Chen practitioners have knee problems due to low postures, difficult training or incorrect training. I cannot move him when he sinks "down", so I think I'll just do what he says. =P He said that he will teach me one posture per day. If I want to, I can go back and apply it to the 83 and 71 forms, he said, and make those effective. He studied at least four of the major branches and said that each one has a lot to offer. In the end, they, and XYLH and Bagua etc., are all one and the same, he says. Furthermore, he can kick my arse with all or any of them. Who am I to argue with that? :D

Oh, and this Yang form is basically a combination of the other three Taiji styles he learned, including Sun, plus possibly a bit of Bagua for good measure. The Chen form was slightly influenced by XYLHQ as well. That's all that he practises. Nothing very elaborate.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Screw the "traditional uniform". Film him dressed like every other middle aged man in the park on a Summer morning - in boxer shorts and sleeveless t-shirt, with a cigarette dangling from his lips.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Haha. Luckily he dresses better than that (okay, he does sometimes wear boxers..) AND he doesn't smoke! :D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Sean on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:24 am

I like it. Looks very compact. Thanks for sharing that!
Sean
Wuji

Postby Ralteria on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:52 am

Ditto. Obvious central movement. All start at once, all end at once. Very cool, IMO.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:11 am

I like it! But forget him……. - what the hell are the women doing at the start? Is that dancing? Is it qigong? Is it occupational therapy? So hard to tell these days….
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:44 am

Graham, Zumba rules the woman world today! , :)

Maartens teacher - I like his form very much
I would vote for it, as one of the best form video presentation on the net.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:53 am

GrahamB wrote:I like it! But forget him……. - what the hell are the women doing at the start? Is that dancing? Is it qigong? Is it occupational therapy? So hard to tell these days….

Obviously they are Baguazhang masters! Duh!
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 am

wiesiek wrote:Graham, Zumba rules the woman world today! , :)

Maartens teacher - I like his form very much
I would vote for it, as one of the best form video presentation on the net.

That's high praise indeed! I'll pass it along.:)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:56 am

..but form performances are a dime a dozen on the interweb. Far, far better to have some footage up of him slapping you around.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Compact middle frame interpretation. Very nice. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:07 am

Andy_S wrote:..but form performances are a dime a dozen on the interweb. Far, far better to have some footage up of him slapping you around.

Perhaps, but that would eat up training time and be very one-sided. In the near future we'll make an attempt to capture some good stuff on film, including training with my gongfu brothers.

Until then, I thought I'd quickly share this video of my Shifu's Taiji interpretation for your perusal. He is part of an until now "undiscovered" society of TCMAists (especially Cheng Shi Baguazhang) in Guilin, which is not a famous place for Gongfu at all. They fight [well] and are easy to get on with. I highly recommend stopping by if any of you are ever in China. The air quality and mountain scenery are also in a different league compared to the North (and indeed a large part of China).

I also reckon that other smaller cities in China may also harbour untold numbers of bad-arse masters. That being said, the quality in masters drops off considerably with those younger than their late forties in most cases, though some young talent exists. The bottom line is; get to China if you want to study Gongfu. It's still here! For now...
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:24 am

He did the standard "24 form" in his own unique way. i liked his version/presentation.
neijia_boxer

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan