Chang Taiji Palm Shape

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Chang Taiji Palm Shape

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:17 pm

In Chang Taiji, the palm shape may be different from the other Yang Taiji. In Chang Taiji, the palm shape is like the "clay roof tile" that

- 4 fingers touching to each other,
- all fingers bend slightly inward, with
- tiger mouth open wide.

This is a very important guideline used in Chang Taiji for the following reasons:

- Your 4 fingers are unified as 1.
- It's harder to have individual finger to be jammed.
- That's exactly how you will grab on your opponent's wrist.

Do you think this guideline is also important in your Yang Taiji? Your thought?

Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Chang Taiji Palm Shape

Postby Ralteria on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:00 pm

I've been taught several hand positions for Taiji, but not that one. I can see why that position would be important in Chang's Taiji as it emphasizes throwing applications, no?

I was taught several hand shapes. Some emphasized grabbing, others hooking, smashing, chopping, etc. All had at least a slight curve to hollow out the hand in someway which is very good for grabbing. Most (not all) had the fingers spread at least slightly. I've found that spreading the fingers is good for developing hand and forearm strength. Good tendon strength for opening the hand helps to balance the strength in closing the hand and keeping the wrists healthy.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:43 am

In order to grasp, prevent from grabbing, having a strong "bridge' that can counter grabbing, one needs hand positiong to hit, throw, maneuver, etc so any palm shape that can counter or incorporate such strategy should be the template. When I first learned Yang style "form" then a few years later learning a 2 man paired training, I noticed the latter had more pivoting, moving out of way and more importantly. stepping up movement (as in Sun shi taijiquan) so I patterned what I do now based on those movement than what people do in form. I still do the form but with a different mindset.

Keep in mind that I now have a big belly, a bald head and use a walker or crutches! ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:25 am

It sounds like the Chenjia palm, i.e., roof tile palm. In your Changjia palm do yo bring the base of the thumb over to form a hollow palm? It fits the opponent's elbow perfectly.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby ittokaos on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:53 am

Ron Panunto wrote:It sounds like the Chenjia palm, i.e., roof tile palm. In your Changjia palm do yo bring the base of the thumb over to form a hollow palm? It fits the opponent's elbow perfectly.

yeah, what Horshack said.
ittokaos
Mingjing

Postby SCMT on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:40 pm

ittokaos wrote:
Ron Panunto wrote:It sounds like the Chenjia palm, i.e., roof tile palm. In your Changjia palm do yo bring the base of the thumb over to form a hollow palm? It fits the opponent's elbow perfectly.

yeah, what Horshack said.

yup

Also seen that in something similar in a version of Bagua, sorry I do not remember the style
Last edited by SCMT on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby edededed on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Liang bagua uses walongzhang (瓦攏掌), i.e. "rooftiles together palm." Seems quite similar in a lot of ways.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Pennykid on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Fu Style bagua also uses that palm.
Pennykid
Anjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan