Fighter Physique

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Fighter Physique

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 pm

Body types, weight classes, body fat percentages will vary, but this is more or less what a fighter should look like.

In other words, the fighter physique is instantly recognisable.

If you don't have it or your teacher doesn't have it, that's a red flag, and could indicate that something's off in the training.

Thoughts?
Ian

Re: Fighter Physique

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Instantly recognizable? I dunno.

Firstly, wrestlers tend (I speak generally; there are, of course exceptions) to be thicker and more muscular than strikers.

Stepping outside sportive combat, there is the "pub brawler" (this bod type is also seen among some bouncers) who is very large and often very fat. This makes him immovable, able to absorb impact punishment to the torso and yet still be able to operate at high intensity for short periods.

And there are various fighting masters of past and present who were either skinny - Chen Fake, Mikko Uyehara, most Thai boxers who spring to mind, etc - or fat/obese - Wang Suchin, Hong Ihsiang, Mikhail Ryabko, etc.

So I don't think it is nearly as clear cut as you make out.

That having been said:
My personal training in the last few years has been much more focused on conditioning than tactics. And I think being in athletic shape is important for your health, your well being and the general vibe you give off, as well as being a key part of attracting members of the opposite se...er, gender.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:17 pm

Just too much TJQ?
Last edited by Michael on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:19 pm

Just about 2 weeks ago when pipefighter visited me in California. We worked out in the park with shorts and T-shirt everyday. One day, a woman walked by and said, "You guys are working out right?" She then pinched my butt, and left. I assumed she won't do that if I had silk pajamas on. With silk pajamas, you can hide almost anything.

IMO, if no woman wanted to pinch your TCMA teacher's butt, that should be a red flag right there.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 pm

You did like that women pinching your butt, Master Wang, didn't you?
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby snafu on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:36 am

snafu
Mingjing

Postby Peacedog on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:11 am

In general preponderance of activity dictates body type.

Genetic outliers shift this a bit, but considering the huge amount of commonality between competitive athletes in a given sport (weight classes, hours per week spent training, techniques employed in practice) it generally holds true.

This is why a marathon runner largely looks emaciated and weak, a sprinter looks fairly muscular, etc.

Simply put, a wrestler will look like a wrestler in a given weight class, because his activities are consistent with what a competitive athlete in his specific sport looks like.

The term "fighter" is hard to define as it is generally not specific enough.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Alexatron on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:15 am

johnwang wrote:Just about 2 weeks ago when pipefighter visited me in California. We worked out in the park with shorts and T-shirt everyday. One day, a woman walked by and said, "You guys are working out right?" She then pinched my butt, and left. I assumed she won't do that if I had silk pajamas on. With silk pajamas, you can hide almost anything.

IMO, if no woman wanted to pinch your TCMA teacher's butt, that should be a red flag right there.

She wanted some WANG! ;D
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby Alexatron on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:00 am

Ian wrote:Body types, weight classes, body fat percentages will vary, but this is more or less what a fighter should look like.

If you don't have it or your teacher doesn't have it, that's a red flag, and could indicate that something's off in the training.

Thoughts?

I think it's a body shape that fight training tends to develop whether you actually fight or not. Even my body has evolved towards that shape which I've had mixed feelings about over the years but I was always fairly lean to start with. A couple of teachers I've had who were high ranking in TMC who didn't have that sort of physique and turned out to be crap at sparring let alone fighting so maybe its something to consider when choosing a teacher.
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby Andy_S on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:33 am

SNIP
She then pinched my butt, and left.
SNIP

What do you mean "...and left?"

"An eye for an eye;
A tooth for a tooth;
An arse grope for an arse grope"

From "The Holy Bible"
By God
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 am

IMHO, there's an ideal body type, but in reality there's a lot of differencies. In IMA, compare He yinbao, William CC Chen, Su Dongchen and others. They are very different from each other. Also, IME, TCMA is not about trying to move closer to an ideal, but to create originality through personal limitations and possibilities.

Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:45 am

The term "fighter" is hard to define as it is generally not specific enough.

Audie Murphy: Height: 5' 5", 135lbs
and as much of a fighter as anyone pictured.

However, if we're talking about sports, then some people are sprinters and others are marathoners. So, some body types are better for certain sports. But, the fact is that the champions have come in all sizes ... and then there's "Big Country." Otoh, one could argue that Brock Lesnar would be an even better example of a fighter's ideal body; and, if he can kick your butt, it's hard to disagree :).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby ittokaos on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 am

Ian wrote:Body types, weight classes, body fat percentages will vary, but this is more or less what a fighter should look like.

Thoughts?

agreed. however, body shape doesn't dictate skill. or in the case on my sifu, he was once lean and mean but has since grown his "sifu belly". also, what does Dempsey have in the second pic? is that caestus?
ittokaos
Mingjing

Postby Pipefighter,PhD on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 am

johnwang wrote:Just about 2 weeks ago when pipefighter visited me in California. We worked out in the park with shorts and T-shirt everyday. One day, a woman walked by and said, "You guys are working out right?" She then pinched my butt, and left. I assumed she won't do that if I had silk pajamas on. With silk pajamas, you can hide almost anything.

Hahaha!!!
Yes, I can verify that is true!!! He's still got it!

Maybe i need to wear shorts more and a girl will pinch my but... ::)
-------------

About the wrestlers being more bulky than a boxer, in my experience, that photo of jack Dempsey shows more bulk than most of the guys i wrestled with. Wrestlers are very cut because they cut weight. I was asked all the way through to my mid 20's, "your a wrestler? Really? I thought wrestlers are really big bulky guys?" I think Nick Simmons used to hear that a lot too.

Maybe i should wear my old Team Michigan wrestling singlet and my butt would get more attention...
johnwang wrote:In order to make anything truly belong to you, you have to take it apart, understand it, put it back together any way that you want to.

"If you have an ugly wife you have to be good at hopping"
Pipefighter,PhD
Mingjing

Postby bartekb on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:26 am

bartekb
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan