a few chapters of yuzi for you guys

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

a few chapters of yuzi for you guys

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:05 pm

hey all, i am just in the middle of translating yuzi, so I thought I would share a bit for anyone interested.
I'm including the first few chapters complete with Chinese text. This stuff has a lot of cross over with Daoism, military, and nation. Enjoy

政曰:君子不與人謀之則已矣,若與人謀之則非道無由也。故君子之謀能必用道,而不能必見受;能必忠,而不能必入;能必信,而能必見信。君子非人者不出之於辭而施之於行,故非非者行是,惡惡者行善,而道諭矣。
generals shouldn't use people as their strategy (for success). If people are used as a strategy, it (the stratefgy) can not follow the true principle of the Dao.
The general's strategy must follow the Dao, it also can't seem to be for personal profit (而不能必見受, this part is a bit clunky in English. It roughly means "it can't require to take/receive sth.). It must be loyal and must not look for an entrance (不能必入: lit can not require entrance). It can require honesty (I read that as on the part of others), but must be seen as honest. If the general doesn't risk his own life in walking forward to say goodbye and says it is for the good, it will just be a fake advance (I read: if the general is not willing to sacrifice himself before other people, all while proclaiming himself to be good, this is not a real way to make progress). This great advance is evil and sick, and has already lost the way.

政曰:昔者文王問於鬻子,敢問人有大忘乎?對曰:「有。」文王曰:「敢問大忘奈何。」鬻子曰:「知其身之惡而不改也,以賊其身乃喪其軀。其行如此,是謂之大忘。」
the ancient king of wen asked yuzi bravely if there is anything that he may have greatly overlooked, Simply stated- yes/
The king couragesly asked what it was that he had overlooked,
Yuzi said: if people know their bodies are sick and don't change, they steal their life and send their body to the grave. this is the greatest thing that people overlook.

Thats all for now,
maybe a bit more later.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Re: a few chapters of yuzi for you guys

Postby I-mon on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Well well Mr. Fancy classical Chinese translator, (I can only assume that) that's some mighty fine translatin'!
I-mon
Great Old One

Re: a few chapters of yuzi for you guys

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:59 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:政曰:君子不與人謀之則已矣,若與人謀之則非道無由也。故君子之謀能必用道,而不能必見受;能必忠,而不能必入;能必信,而能必見信。君子非人者不出之於辭而施之於行,故非非者行是,惡惡者行善,而道諭矣。
generals shouldn't use people as their strategy (for success). If people are used as a strategy, it (the stratefgy) can not follow the true principle of the Dao.
The general's strategy must follow the Dao, it also can't seem to be for personal profit (而不能必見受, this part is a bit clunky in English. It roughly means "it can't require to take/receive sth.). It must be loyal and must not look for an entrance (不能必入: lit can not require entrance). It can require honesty (I read that as on the part of others), but must be seen as honest. If the general doesn't risk his own life in walking forward to say goodbye and says it is for the good, it will just be a fake advance (I read: if the general is not willing to sacrifice himself before other people, all while proclaiming himself to be good, this is not a real way to make progress). This great advance is evil and sick, and has already lost the way.

I am sure that the chinese goverment doesn't know about the Yuzi. :-\

But of course, they didn't have to read any kind of books with knowledge, as their fathers paid for all of their diplomas. Just as they pay for their children's diplomas today. Sometimes I doubt that the leaders are literate. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan