What is Ox Tongue?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What is Ox Tongue?

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:05 pm

ParryPerson wrote:Ok now I'm really confused. Unless I'm just mishearing a different palm shape. The one I'm doing has the thumb stretched OUT and then it's "lifted" (if the palm is facing upwards) up about 90degrees and the thumb and pointer finger "stretch" away from each other making the palm hollow.

Zoinks.

Parry - don't learn from the Internet! Your Fu style is not the same as the Yin style (which uses the ox tongue palm) - so don't go and imitate this palm in class or your teacher might smack you! The palm you are doing is just fine, and probably correlates to the so-called "dragon palm" of Cheng style.

Not all baguazhang is the same.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:20 pm

edededed wrote:
ParryPerson wrote:Ok now I'm really confused. Unless I'm just mishearing a different palm shape. The one I'm doing has the thumb stretched OUT and then it's "lifted" (if the palm is facing upwards) up about 90degrees and the thumb and pointer finger "stretch" away from each other making the palm hollow.

Zoinks.

Parry - don't learn from the Internet! Your Fu style is not the same as the Yin style (which uses the ox tongue palm) - so don't go and imitate this palm in class or your teacher might smack you! The palm you are doing is just fine, and probably correlates to the so-called "dragon palm" of Cheng style.

Not all baguazhang is the same.

Why on earth would I try and learn from the internet when I have a real teacher? I was just interested in the differences I was seeing in what was called "ox tongue" and thought I'd ask. We do the palm I explained and one that is dragon palm.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Oh, okay, just checking :)

In fact, the two palms have many similarities, although the outward shape is quite different. I do think that the ox tongue palm is better for hitting, the dragon palm better for grabbing.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:09 am

edededed wrote:Oh, okay, just checking :)

In fact, the two palms have many similarities, although the outward shape is quite different. I do think that the ox tongue palm is better for hitting, the dragon palm better for grabbing.

A quick note: the dragon palm is actually held in such a way that it makes the palm of the hand very hard for striking.
Just fyi
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:36 pm

but easier for you to break your fingers.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:44 pm

nianfong wrote:but easier for you to break your fingers.

Its easy enough to break your fingers in the Ox tongue format too :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:

A quick note: the dragon palm is actually held in such a way that it makes the palm of the hand very hard for striking.
Just fyi

Yeah I agree with Mix. (wow did I just say that? ;D ) The dragon palm in particular hardens up the heel of the palm and ridge of the hand for (pi) 'chopping' and even develops the back of the palm, top of wrist and forearm for (ban) 'moving' strikes.

While the ox-toungue palm actually strengthens the grip by constantly squeezing the thumb into/across the palm.
Last edited by D_Glenn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:57 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:

when your fingers are apart it is by its very nature easier to catch your fingers on something and break them. when the fingers are held together, they protect each other.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:18 pm

nianfong wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:

when your fingers are apart it is by its very nature easier to catch your fingers on something and break them. when the fingers are held together, they protect each other.

Not only that, but when the fingers are together they condense the force into a smaller area and therefore strengthen the striking or piercing powah! Density 8-)
Last edited by Walk the Torque on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby ParryPerson on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:34 am

In what I've been learning, which is, extremely new, the dragon palm does strengthen the palm but so does ox tongue, and in what I've seen so far the dragon palm seems to lead to an ox tongue palm. I've (in my limited time) seen the dragon palm for the deflect/grasp and then the ox tongue for the end/strike.
Discuss internal martial arts on IRC! Channel: #internalarts Server: EFnet
Myspace Baguazhang Group! http://groups.myspace.com/pakua
ParryPerson
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 am

D_Glenn wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:

Just fyi

Yeah I agree with Mix. (wow did I just say that? ;D ) The dragon palm in particular hardens up the heel of the palm and ridge of the hand for (pi) 'chopping' and even develops the back of the palm, top of wrist and forearm for (ban) 'moving' strikes.

While the ox-toungue palm actually strengthens the grip by constantly squeezing the thumb into/across the palm.

Well, at least we can agree on something. :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 am

I personally see the dragon palm as being more changeable than the Ox tongue, but yes, those fingers can get caught on things.
Thats why you have to train force in your fingers too (via dynamic tension). :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:46 am

ParryPerson wrote:In what I've been learning, which is, extremely new, the dragon palm does strengthen the palm but so does ox tongue, and in what I've seen so far the dragon palm seems to lead to an ox tongue palm. I've (in my limited time) seen the dragon palm for the deflect/grasp and then the ox tongue for the end/strike.

Hmm - maybe Fu style is sort of like Liang style!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 am

I personally see the dragon palm as being more changeable than the Ox tongue

We just train it differently. It's a little harder to see. We do a lot of subtle, one finger at a time hooking sorts of action so that you are moving your "willow leaf" or "ox tongue" palm like a little tentacle tip.

If I ever get up to Canadia I'll show you.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 pm

shawnsegler wrote:
I personally see the dragon palm as being more changeable than the Ox tongue

We just train it differently. It's a little harder to see. We do a lot of subtle, one finger at a time hooking sorts of action so that you are moving your "willow leaf" or "ox tongue" palm like a little tentacle tip.

If I ever get up to Canadia I'll show you.

S

Could you explain this? I think we might do something similar in my line of bagua. We do some hand qigong where we move individual fingers from hand posture to hand posture. Thanks.

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan