Duration of Zhan Zhuang

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Duration of Zhan Zhuang

Postby C.J.Wang on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:30 pm

I wonder how long do you guys usually practice zhan zhuang in one session? How long do you hold each posture?

I have been experimenting with holding higher postures for 5 minutes each, and holding lower postures with maximum tendon stretch for about 6 to 7 breaths while consiously stretchin and relaxing in accordance with breathing.

[fixed your spelling--it was hurting my eyes -Fong]
Last edited by nianfong on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Re: Duration of Zhang Zhuang

Postby David Boxen on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:38 pm

I usually don't go more than 15 minutes anymore.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby klonk on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:44 pm

Good. My expert advisor tells me, once you get the idea, you go deeper in your stance, stay longer. Do it progressively, more time, less altitude, as your endurance grows.

It is an ongoing topic of discussion, and certainly many people disagree with me, but I think the point of diminishing returns shows up at about half or three quarters of an hour.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 pm

currently: about 35-45 minutes per day, starting with a higher posture, but sinking lower as i relax.
i have been known to do a 30 min session in the morning combined with 1-1.5 hours in the evening if i'm feeling brave, or only a 20 min session once per day if i'm feeling lazy
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Re: Duration of Zhan Zhuang

Postby nianfong on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:59 pm

it's spelled ZHAN ZHUANG
or call it jimmy jam
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Ian on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Didn't Tim Cartmell say 40 minutes of jam zhuang is enough?

zhan jong?

Anyway... personally I'd trust Tim on the matter.
Ian

Postby lü dongbin on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:38 am

1 h or longer
lü dongbin
Santi

Postby Harvey on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:40 am

What's better 10 mins of quality low stance correct breathing or 1 hr of just trying? but for me 5 breaths after the shakes kick in is when i stop.
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:08 am

I stopped practicing Zhang Zhuang aside from San ti and mill stone pushing posture a little over a year ago.
I just circle walk and hold the basic postures to build up the connections that ZZ works on.
My teacher said something very interesting concerning ZZ. something to the effect of "Yi Quan has very special small movements inside every ZZ posture, so you do them for a long time and its good for you. Otherwise it will just make your arms hurt", though I don't think he was talking about San ti when he said that (more about holding the tree and whatnot). :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:28 am

Important that is, thinking I!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:09 pm

It really depends on how much time is available.

We would find a quiet place preferablly with some fresh air if you live in the city, you know what I mean.

Pick a posture and stand and relax as much as you could and as long as you could.

Fatigue may sets in, but still relax.

after that, we would do some mild self hitting or "massage" the muscles.

and walk a bit.

end of practice.

:)
SPJ
Wuji

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:33 pm

mixjourneyman wrote:My teacher said something very interesting concerning ZZ. something to the effect of "Yi Quan has very special small movements inside every ZZ posture, so you do them for a long time and its good for you. Otherwise it will just make your arms hurt", though I don't think he was talking about San ti when he said that (more about holding the tree and whatnot). :D

Your teacher is darn right. ZZ may appear still on the outside, but inside there's A LOT of fine muscle movements governed by intent. Without them, ZZ just makes you as stiff as a bronze statue.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby David Boxen on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Motion in stillness and all that jazz. To me zhan zhuang as imaginary strength training. No need to go for very long at a time...it's about being able to turn on and off certain sensations.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby zenshiite on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:10 pm

Lately I've only been doing about 3 minutes on different postures, counting breaths during. My calculations seem to be correct in that a good, regular inhalation/exhalation takes approx 2 seconds. 90 breaths each, sometimes 120-150 on treehugger pose as I like to call it.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Unfortunately lots of people who hold forever are really only developing varicose veins in their legs... :-\
Chris Fleming

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan