战跤 Combat Shuai Chiao

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: 战跤 Combat Shuai Chiao

Postby dspyrido on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:29 pm

willywrong wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Watching them trying to teach what they know and similarly trying to pass on what I know is an interesting problem because frankly those who have not yet done the time & effort simply dont get it in the same way. There does not seem to be any short cuts. But that is my experience. You may be completely right and you may have a rich complete system in your SC that does a better job of teaching the fusion. I would love to get to see the combat sc system first hand.

Leant a response to a hand grab from my sifu which took me three months to learn. Went home every week with bruised ribs till I just stopped and watched how he was putting it on me. The solution was to do nothing. Call me slow (three months). Have shown it to numerous students but they just don't get it. Things take time to percolate and no amount of academic rambling will get you there. It took me three months to work out to just do nothing. He had my hand, I had his hand. Is this what your referring to.

I'm going to take a guess here that when you do nothing and achieve a defensive result you actually did something that was difficult to see. If so then that is exactly what I am talking about.

Another simple example - arm latch and pull down. When two diffrent skilled level people do it to the untrained eye the motion may look the same yet one is far far more powerful because it combines using the whole body strength & weight in the drop and sticks to principles like elbow down, shoulder down etc. The other guy might might be doing a similar move but only applying arm strength. But try explaining it so that someone gets it. It takes months and months to refine and coordinate and this is even after describing, showing and trying to correct them.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 pm

dspyrido wrote:
willywrong wrote:
dspyrido wrote:Watching them trying to teach what they know and similarly trying to pass on what I know is an interesting problem because frankly those who have not yet done the time & effort simply dont get it in the same way. There does not seem to be any short cuts. But that is my experience. You may be completely right and you may have a rich complete system in your SC that does a better job of teaching the fusion. I would love to get to see the combat sc system first hand.

Leant a response to a hand grab from my sifu which took me three months to learn. Went home every week with bruised ribs till I just stopped and watched how he was putting it on me. The solution was to do nothing. Call me slow (three months). Have shown it to numerous students but they just don't get it. Things take time to percolate and no amount of academic rambling will get you there. It took me three months to work out to just do nothing. He had my hand, I had his hand. Is this what your referring to.

I'm going to take a guess here that when you do nothing and achieve a defensive result you actually did something that was difficult to see. If so then that is exactly what I am talking about.

Another simple example - arm latch and pull down. When two diffrent skilled level people do it to the untrained eye the motion may look the same yet one is far far more powerful because it combines using the whole body strength & weight in the drop and sticks to principles like elbow down, shoulder down etc. The other guy might might be doing a similar move but only applying arm strength. But try explaining it so that someone gets it. It takes months and months to refine and coordinate and this is even after describing, showing and trying to correct them.

His move was to grab and get a response from me. Try and break his grab he would let go and hit me in the ribs. Because we were within close range I could not see only feel his grab. His choice was when I did nothing was to do nothing or to try something else. I think we are on the same page. My counter to was to give a small resistance to his force and then strike his rib area. You can see me do this on young Darren at 3:20 to 3:30 seconds in this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9JBJ3szVL0 Sorry about the lenth of the clip but tennytigers linked a few short ones into a long one. I find this sort of thing incredibly hard to teach to someone. Usually only on a one to one transmission. Darren was a very easy student to teach this to, the exception rather than the rule. Enjoyed your way of explaining it. :)
Last edited by willywrong on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:06 pm

This combat SC videos are very good,
"theatrical" a little, but in good meaning of the word - easy to grasp presented ideas ,
thank you John ,
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:07 pm

or better,
easy to " follow up" ,- patterns
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:58 am

So in Taiji we say if he wants your hand then give it to him, then give him something he wasn't expecting with the other hand.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 am

There are certain expressions that do not lend themselves to "translation' (I have extremely limited Chinese language experience ??? ) but yielding means more than when someone attacks, you 'cave' (whether turn waist/yao, step, etc) then abc, it also has the meaning of offering (yielding) and when the opponent grabs then you have him by the b*lls!, as it were. When you offer, you give up (appearances) ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:57 am

Ron Panunto wrote:So in Taiji we say if he wants your hand then give it to him, then give him something he wasn't expecting with the other hand.

In SC, you will apply that principle to another level. In SC, if your opponent wants your hand, you will give it to him "more than he can handle".

For example,

When your opponent uses his left arm to wrap your right arm (he wants your right arm), you can give him your right arm, extend your right arm as far as you can until your elbow pass under his shoulder (more than he wants - he wants your arm, but he doesn't want this much of your arm). You can then use your right arm to "under hook" his left shoulder. Just by using that "under hook" contact, you can throw him with your "hip throw". So the moment that he tries to wrap your arm is the moment that you throw him. His arm wrapping gives you a free "under hook".
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 pm

yeniseri wrote:There are certain expressions that do not lend themselves to "translation' (I have extremely limited Chinese language experience ??? ) but yielding means more than when someone attacks, you 'cave' (whether turn waist/yao, step, etc) then abc, it also has the meaning of offering (yielding) and when the opponent grabs then you have him by the b*lls!, as it were. When you offer, you give up (appearances) ;D

If we just talk about face punch. If someone punches at my face, I find it's very difficult to "yield/cave" with my face. Even if I can (may be cave in my skull a bit), the risk is still too high. I prefer to move my face to be outside of his striking path instead. But then I'm not following Taiji principle.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:28 pm

johnwang wrote:If we just talk about face punch. If someone punches at my face, I find it's very difficult to "yield/cave" with my face. Even if I can (may be cave in my skull a bit), the risk is still too high. I prefer to move my face to be outside of his striking path instead. But then I'm not following Taiji principle.

If you keep trying eventually you will succeed, and someday, after being repeatedly punched, your face will finally learn to cave in. Just keep practicing, please. :)
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:38 pm

daniel pfister wrote:If you keep trying eventually you will succeed, and someday, after being repeatedly punched, your face will finally learn to cave in. Just keep practicing, please. :)

How many times do I need to let my opponent to punch on my face with full power before I can learn how to "cave in with my face"? I would like to keep a little bit distance between my face and my opponent's fist. I think I will try your suggestion in my next life but not in this one. ;D

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Come on John, do it for RSF!!!
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 pm

daniel pfister wrote:
johnwang wrote:If we just talk about face punch. If someone punches at my face, I find it's very difficult to "yield/cave" with my face. Even if I can (may be cave in my skull a bit), the risk is still too high. I prefer to move my face to be outside of his striking path instead. But then I'm not following Taiji principle.

So you don't think moving your head out of the way is not yielding. Come, come John your not really silly enough to try and yield with by receiving the force. The only guys I've seen do that are all from external systems. I personally don't believe in the division internal/external. Sifu always said "The hard becomes soft and the soft becomes hard". :)
willywrong

Postby johnwang on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:04 am

willywrong wrote:So you don't think moving your head out of the way is not yielding.

So what do you think the difference between "yielding" and "dodging" should be?
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:44 am

johnwang wrote:
willywrong wrote:So you don't think moving your head out of the way is not yielding.

Dodging is more a of straight line a to b, very reactive same as a hard block a to b . Yielding is removing the head in the direction of the incoming force and leading it. Bob, weave and counter of western boxing is of this nature. What do you think the difference is. :) No avalanche of words please John I have a short attention span. :D
Last edited by willywrong on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Postby johnwang on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59 am

willywrong wrote:
johnwang wrote:

Dodging is more a of straight line a to b, very reactive same as a hard block a to b . Yielding is removing the head in the direction of the incoming force and leading it. Bob, weave and counter of western boxing is of this nature. What do you think the difference is. :) No avalanche of words please John I have a short attention span. :D

My definition are:

dodging - no contact.
yielding - contact.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan