战跤 Combat Shuai Chiao

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: 战跤 Combat Shuai Chiao

Postby willywrong on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:55 pm

So what do you think the difference between "yielding" and "dodging" should be?[/quote] Dodging is more a of straight line a to b, very reactive same as a hard block a to b . Yielding is removing the head in the direction of the incoming force and leading it. Bob, weave and counter of western boxing is of this nature. What do you think the difference is. :) No avalanche of words please John I have a short attention span. :D[/quote]
My definition are:

dodging - no contact.
yielding - contact.[/quote]

Seeing its the mind engaged in the fight. How about Dodging- broken contact/no mind.
Yielding- broken or unbroken contact/mind present.

Off to the gun range so won't get back to the RSF till tomorrow. Cheers :)
willywrong

Postby johnwang on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:32 pm

willywrong wrote:Seeing its the mind engaged in the fight. How about Dodging- broken contact/no mind.

Both should be "no mind". Old saying said, "Gong Fu is on the body. Gong Fu is not in your head." If you think (mind), it's too slow. If you react, it's faster. A simple example,

When someone punches at your head, you will only have 1/4 second to "react". You don't have time to think (mind) whether you should move your head to your

- right,
- left, or
- back.

IMO, mind can be applied in "offense" such as to knock a hole through your opponent's head. Before you throw that punch, you can already picture a hole through your opponent's head. When in "defense", no mind is faster. You don't have time to think, you just react to it and let your spine to order your body.
Last edited by johnwang on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:35 pm

Here lies the difference between combat sport and reality
In real life Ttack and defence do not draw a line
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:17 pm

wayne hansen wrote:In real life attack and defence do not draw a line

How can that be? In combat, you know when and how you are going to attack. When you attack, you can apply your mind. But you don't know when and where the attack may come to you. It may come from behind of you. How can you apply your mind if you can't even see the attack?
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 pm

johnwang wrote:
willywrong wrote:Seeing its the mind engaged in the fight. How about Dodging- broken contact/no mind.

Both should be "no mind". Old saying said, "Gong Fu is on the body. Gong Fu is not in your head." If you think (mind), it's too slow. If you react, it's faster. A simple example,

When someone punches at your head, you will only have 1/4 second to "react". You don't have time to think (mind) whether you should move your head to your

- right,
- left, or
- back.

IMO, mind can be applied in "offense" such as to knock a hole through your opponent's head. Before you throw that punch, you can already picture a hole through your opponent's head. When in "defense", no mind is faster. You don't have time to think, you just react to it and let your spine to order your body.

John I already have intuiting skill so I am always told how to respond by my antagonist. Action within Inaction. John there quite a few people on this site who a high degree of skill that you constantly try to teach how to suck eggs with your description of agonic combat. :)
willywrong

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:50 pm

John if you have time to predetermine when you are about to attack it is not real combat as I have known it
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:16 pm

wayne hansen wrote:John if you have time to predetermine when you are about to attack it is not real combat as I have known it

You may think in "real combat", someone always attacks you first. What if "you attack first"?
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:05 pm

If you don't kill him with your initial attack there will be a point where he attacks first
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:13 pm

willywrong wrote:John there quite a few people on this site who a high degree of skill ...

Who are they? :)
Ian

Postby willywrong on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Ian wrote:
willywrong wrote:John there quite a few people on this site who a high degree of skill ...

Who are they? :)

There like you Ian there's nothing on their profile. Are you One? ;)
Last edited by willywrong on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:45 pm

No way, dude ;D
Ian

Postby dspyrido on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:00 pm

This topic is an interesting one & I would like to offer that yielding can be done with eyes closed. I havent worked out how to dodge in the same way. If some grasshopper knows how to do this then I'm all ... ears. :-\

So not saying one is better than the other (they're both really useful) but the implications of training one versus the other to your own mind/body connection are potentially a topic for a doctorate thesis and far reaching changes will happen.

In the meantime I like to offer a 3rd area - instead of 4 ounces consider what it might be like training with a 400 pounds. Somewhere between yielding and dodging is the world of power/structure/placement that barely needs to yield or dodge. Probably too big a topic in this thread.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:09 am

dspyrido wrote:In the meantime I like to offer a 3rd area - instead of 4 ounces consider what it might be like training with a 400 pounds. Somewhere between yielding and dodging is the world of power/structure/placement that barely needs to yield or dodge. Probably too big a topic in this thread.

I have just the perfect clip for your 3rd area - by using your force to prevent your opponent's force generated.

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:10 am

U absolutely sure that is the third catogorie
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:06 am

wayne hansen wrote:U absolutely sure that is the third catogorie

They're talking about *a* third category not *the* third category.

I.e. not a universal, objective list.

If you don't kill him with your initial attack there will be a point where he attacks first

Have you killed many people? Just curious.
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan