Julian Dale's new LHBF DVD review

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Julian Dale's new LHBF DVD review

Postby lineofintent on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:58 am

I just had the pleasure of watching Julian Dale's new DVD on Liu He Ba Fa basic training exercises.

The methods shown are very sound and useful exercises for all martial artists, each one developing a different quality or line of force. Although I know little about LHBF as a style a lot of this was very familiar from Xingyiquan and Bagauquan neigong training. Julian's structure is very good, it is clear how many years of work he has put into the foundation exercises and stance work.

The section where Julian discusses his background and the material presented is done very well and he is obviously someone with a sincere and deep love for the Chinese martial arts.

Finally what was also very impressive was the excellent production quality of the film - looks like no expense was spared in lighting, sound, camerwork and editing.

In summary - a very good set for anyone wanting to develop whole body connected power, and a very well made film.

AK
lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Julian Dale's new LHBF DVD review

Postby Bao on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:40 am

Do you have any link to where there's more info or where you can buy the DVD?
Last edited by Bao on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 am

Alex,

You humble me with such kind words and compliments, the dvd will be available online with the next 3 days as I finalise setting up my webshop to make this and future instructional dvd's available.
The webshop address (not yet live) will be www.BuddhasBasement.co.uk
A lot of love and effort went into making this dvd, and I hope to improve upon quality of production and content on future releases
WongYing
Huajing

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:57 am

Yep, a link would be nice :-)
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby WongYing on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 pm

The Chi Gung/Nei Gung instructional DVD is now available via www.buddhasbasement.co.uk
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Mr_Wood on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:28 pm

These DIY websites sometimes don't come online for 24-48 hours
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Orders have already been placed by some customers, the website should be showing as live ??
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Josealb on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby WongYing on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Josealb, yes there is Alex Kozma's kind review as posted above, shown on the production description page for the DVD
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 am

Very well presented by Julian with all the necessary basics in place in a set of exercises that will get anyone onto the right path.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby WongYing on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:58 am

For those of you who have kindly ordered the DVD, they will be despatched on Tuesday as Monday is a national holiday in the UK, and I was unable to get to the post office before it closed today due to working.
Rgds
JD
WongYing
Huajing

Postby WongYing on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 am

A few people have asked if this DVD is multi region format, I have had confirmation from the production house that it is multi region.

Also my thanks to those here that have purchased the dvd, I hope that the material and content meets with approval. Any comments feedback etc I would appreciate or if you so choose write a review for the webshop that would be again most appreciated.

http://www.buddhasbasement.co.uk/produc ... tegoryId=1
WongYing
Huajing

Postby Mr_Wood on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:18 pm

I meant to write a review in the webshop but forgot my username and password so..

Julian demonstrates the exercises in a very clear and easy to follow manner. I imagine the continued practice over time would be highly beneficial to all students of all levels and can be easily incorporated into your existing routine. It's very evident that Julian has put in a great deal of time and effort into his practice.

Thanks again to Julian for sharing these exercises and taking the time and care to ensure people were satisfied with this production and hopefully there will be more to follow.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Jarek on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Just had a chance to watch Julian Dale's DVD on eight essential qigong exercises.

When I heard for the first time that an externalist had released an instructional video on an internal system, I was in doubt. I suspected secret methods on achieving at least iron head, if not iron crotch skills. Who knows what the famous Eagle Claw system teacher is willing to reveal.

I was not sold on it.

When the disc arrived it took me some time to get to it, but finally I decided to give it a try.
The introduction was a nice surprise. Brief, informative, honest. Julian has not only devoted his life to the external martial arts, he has also studied the internal ones. He admitted the set was his take on the basic exercises from Water Boxing, based on his own understanding and experience. Fair enough.

I was curious not only about the exercises, but more about the skill displayed through them. And here was another surprise. Julian shows very sound body skills. He is relaxed, but very well coordinated. His body works as a whole, all the joints turn and twist, with hips and waist connecting the lower and upper parts of the body, and working as one with all its parts. One can clearly see how Julian follows the gravity, how his weight is used to power the movements. His power comes from the soles of the feet, and is transferred through very good structure across the body.

While Julian provides explanations on how to perform the movements of each of the eight exercises, the way he shows them is already very clear. One should not only just follow the instructions. There is an experience of many years of hard and correct practice in what may seem as simple explanation. There are gems hidden there. It all depends on how advanced you are - either a beginner or a long-time practitioner will find something valuable there, both externalist and internalist. Julian's skill is not a mixture of internal or external methods, not a merge, a combination. He has achieved skill beyond the internal-external division.

Nothing is without flaw. I'd apreciate if the exercises where shown from more than one angle, this would be helpfull for those without prior experience, to get a better understanding of how to practice them. There was enough space on the disc for that - it has a running time of a bit more than half an hour. I would also be happy if the DVD had subtitles in several languages, including my favourite Polish. I'd also be more satisfied if there was Jimi Hendrix music in the background, that I prefer over that soothing kind he put.

But otherwise it is very good and I would recommend the DVD not only to those interested in developing fundamental skills requiried in all Chinese Martial Arts, but also people looking for a nice set of exercises for health and fitness.
Last edited by Jarek on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:12 am

Is it still too soon to expect Julian to post a promotional clip ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan