Tongbei book recommendations

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Tongbei book recommendations

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Is anybody aware of any good English language books solely on tongbei. I can only find the one on amazon by Peter Jaw (anybody read this?) and nothing elsewhere online.

northern_mantis
Huajing

Re: Tongbei book recommendations

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

There are only a couple of books on Tongbei in Chinese that are worth reading, and none that I know of in English.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby vagabond on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 am

Lu Shengli’s book “Combat Techniques Of Taiji, Xingyi, and Bagua” has a little on tongue, as well as baji. zhang yun and strider clark have produced an instructional dvd, and zhang has written a couple of articles, more about history than technique
vagabond
Huajing

Postby allen2saint on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:52 pm

The instructional DVD is pretty comprehensive. The "Combat Techniques" book has good basics gong fu stuff, but very little specific Tong Bei stuff
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks guys, DVD ordered. Does anybody know if Peter Law is a legit teacher. He's got some material online but there's no real third party comments on him.

Thanks very much
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby allen2saint on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:50 am

I can't find anything on him. Can you send a link?

I briefly studied with the NYC affiliate to Strider's school.At that time, they were the only school I could find who did this stuff openly in the US that I knew of. That was probably....yeesh, 10 years ago now.

Also, if you search youtube for "Strider Clark Tong Bei" you will find some clips of him demonstrating stuff on a pretty game student.
Last edited by allen2saint on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby Lu da on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 am

Sifu Strider Clark's gungfu is excellent. I highly recommend his dvd, he has a very good understanding of fighting.
Lu da
Anjing

Postby northern_mantis on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 am

allen2saint wrote:I can't find anything on him. Can you send a link?

I briefly studied with the NYC affiliate to Strider's school.At that time, they were the only school I could find who did this stuff openly in the US that I knew of. That was probably....yeesh, 10 years ago now.

Also, if you search youtube for "Strider Clark Tong Bei" you will find some clips of him demonstrating stuff on a pretty game student.

Cool, really looking forward to getting the dvd. Here is a link to the Peter Jaw book. Definitely not going to win any awards for the writing but was wondering whether the techniques are at least authentic as a starting point?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tong-Bei-32-Han ... ds=tongbei

Love that Strider Clark hotel beatdown youtube vid. One of my top ten things on the interwebs!
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby allen2saint on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:19 am

I don't know a thing about the community beyond Strider's family. I know some others here have practiced Tong Bei extensively, so they may be a better resource.
But hey, if you're out there on your own, just trying to pick up some info, what's a few bucks to learn something new?

My impression was a person needed a really solid base of gong fu first before doing this stuff. But have fun. If I had the means and someone was closer to me, I would have loved learning that art.
allen2saint
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan