Dan Hardens's August Intensive (recap)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Dan Hardens's August Intensive (recap)

Postby Andy_S on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh, FFS chaps, enough beating about the damned bush. Let's cut to the chase here.

Chen Fa-ke, the Yang boys, Uyeshiba, Takeda and Dan Harden are in a bar, talking shop, when calamity strikes.

While deftly explaining an internal technique, Dan accidentally knocks over the aforementioned gents' pints.

There is a second of shocked silence - then a whirlwind ruck ensues.

Who walks away?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:37 am

Chuck Norris, naturally
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby snafu on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:10 am

Andy_S wrote:Oh, FFS chaps, enough beating about the damned bush. Let's cut to the chase here.

Chen Fa-ke, the Yang boys, Uyeshiba, Takeda and Dan Harden are in a bar, talking shop, when calamity strikes.

While deftly explaining an internal technique, Dan accidentally knocks over the aforementioned gents' pints.

Who walks away?

The bartender, because he's seen shit go down like this before to predict when it is going to happen, and minimum wage isn't worth the risk...that and Ueshiba's got a rep for being a lousy tipper.
Last edited by snafu on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
snafu
Mingjing

Postby Bodywork on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 am

Andy_S wrote:Oh, FFS chaps, enough beating about the damned bush. Let's cut to the chase here.

Who walks away?

Everyone, because
a. I would never be teaching those guys anything.
b. I would have bought the pints in the first place
c. I would have bought the replacements, made friends, and maybe picked up some training advice and opinion.

And the ultimate response?
Advice from a guy who survived many bar fights and being stabbed and sliced and other various mayhem?
I don't go in them anymore!!
I would have taken them to a nicer pub!!!

Wait...er...there was this night at the Venus bar in Bristol...
No wait...I made friends there too with an Olympic Greco Roman wrestling family..who shut off the music, poured drinks for 22 of my friends, and then made the entire bar toast me as their new friend from America!!!
It just pays to be nice
Dan
Last edited by Bodywork on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Dmitri on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:01 am

Bodywork wrote:Wait...er...there was this night at the Venus bar in Bristol...
No wait...I made friends there too with an Olympic Greco Roman wrestling family..who shut off the music, poured drinks for 22 of my friends, and then made the entire bar toast me as their new friend from America!!!
It just pays to be nice
Dan

Good thing it wasn't a karaoke bar. ;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Dan Harden's August Intensive (recap)

Postby Bodywork on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Dmitri wrote:
Bodywork wrote:Good thing it wasn't a karaoke bar. ;D

True, then they would have had to pay...me!! 8-) 8-) ;D
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:38 pm

edededed wrote:Seems quite comprehensive!
So... is Dan ever planning to come to Japan, or what? :D

I have been invited to teach in Japan several times, one by a well known Shihan.
I'm not interested. They have refused to teach us, or in other cases cannot teach us. I have no interest in helping them do anything.
Bodywork

Postby Bodywork on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Bodywork

Postby edededed on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Bodywork wrote:
edededed wrote:Seems quite comprehensive!
So... is Dan ever planning to come to Japan, or what? :D

I have been invited to teach in Japan several times, one by a well known Shihan.
I'm not interested. They have refused to teach us, or in other cases cannot teach us. I have no interest in helping them do anything.

Hi Dan,

That is a shame! (Namely because I live in Japan... :D )

But what do you mean by "they have refused to teach us?" Are you referring to the fact that Japan tends to be conservative when teaching foreigners?

Thanks,
Ed
edededed
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 am

Bodywork wrote:
Wait...er...there was this night at the Venus bar in Bristol...
It just pays to be nice
Dan

Hey Dan,

Was it this guy (Saeed Esmaeli)? There can't be two Olympic Greco Roman wrestling families in Bristol....!

Very cool guy - his takedowns are off the charts good.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby junglist on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:03 am

Bodywork wrote:Another review
Dan

Dan,

You don't need to teach the Japanese. There are a bunch of gaijin here that want to train with you.
junglist
Anjing

Postby willywrong on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Who walks away?

While Dan seems to be the only one with a pint left, the real winner will be the publican when they need a refill after their blue. Which goes to prove that material advantage is more obvious than internal achievement. Or to put it another way, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. :D
willywrong

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan