Sparring With Your Teacher..

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Does your teacher spar with his students?

Never
26%
Sometimes
26%
Frequently
34%
All the fucking time!
11%

Total votes : 26

Sparring With Your Teacher..

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:45 am

I'm interested in knowing how many teachers spar with their students and whether they are in the majority or in the minority. Mine spars with us almost every time we meet, depending on what we are working on. :)
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Re: Sparring With Your Teacher..

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 am

I can't vote on this.
At the MMA and Muay thai school- yes instructors spar with students all the time.
At the boxing gym- no the instructor is do damn old to spar.
At the Taiji school I work out at sometimes- hell no, the Taiji teacher wont even push hands unless he is showing a pattern.
At the Taiji class in the park- yes instructor and many folks will "push hands". handsies pansies.
At my own class- hell yeah we gear up for san shou sparring.
neijia_boxer

Postby MaguiBaguaNJ on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:40 am

My teacher always shows techniques with his students, but reserves most of the sparring for when we're doing private training. So he spars frequently withe me, but I can't say the same for all his students.
MaguiBaguaNJ
Santi

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:58 am

Some did, some didn't. Generally it was more frightening than instructive (except to inform me how low level my skills were in comparison).
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:33 pm

All of my teachers, regardless of their style, regularly sparred with students. Like Kenneth Fish said, it was most often as scary and intimidating as it was instructional, although nothing matches the value of personally feeling high level skills directly applied to your own body the way they were intended to be used. Standing or sitting off to the side and watching genuine fighting skills applied on someone else is never as effective for acquiring such skills yourself. Hands on contact is always a far superior method of learning how to really fight, imo, if not the only practical means of doing so! :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Like Kenneth and Doc said, too scary to really call it sparring. Just getting to feel what you are trying to obtain. This one time he came at me near full speed, a split second after he made it was clear that he was going to attack, so I had to go from drilling practice mode to full on fighting mode in that split second, and I did manage to get my arm up to defend my face, but the shock wave that passed through my head made me realize what the saying of "... and even their [the opponent's] Hun and Po will be scared.", actually meant.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Orpheus on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:59 pm

My shuai jiao coach would wrestle with us all the time.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm happy to see that alot of your training echoes my own. Yes, sparring with Shifu is scary! Especially if I make the mistake of trying to surprise him with an attack. His Qinna is 'by the way', meaning he never does it directly, but always during a combination of things. His Bagua is particullarly evil. He seems to get me with his Qinna from every angle and when I get out of one I am lead into the next.. :-P
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Perhaps it might help to make it more specific?

"Sparring with your IMA instructor"
Last edited by dspyrido on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:44 pm

I've never "sparred" with my teachers.
I've sparred with many many people with gloves on and had fun trying to pound each other.
None of my teachers would ever in a million years put on gloves and square off with me in a contest.
That would be a pitiful fruitless waste of training time that should be spent on painful, full contact instruction.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Hmmm... no. My teachers did not spar with me (not my boxing trainers, my Shaolin instructor, or my internal Kung Fu teachers). But they taught me to spar with the other students, and made corrections from there. They did, however, do training drills with me quite often directed toward developing fighting skills. As for me sparring with my students, yes. In fact, to insure they don't get injured, I make sure they develop some decent sparring abilities with me (while I go easy on them) before I let them spar with each other.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:32 pm

I never 'sparred' with my teachers per the common usage of the word. Chang Dungsheng was the only one who approached 'sparring' but it was mainly 'setting up' within an encounter and how to use basic training elements per the 13 training/physical conditions exercises. Another wing chun teacher who taught me taiji, had an uncle who came from Hong Kong to visit and he was ruthless with push hands training. The other teachers were "up in age' but as they worked in the security caravans of the old days, they were able to show the extent of their experience. Another teacher with whom I learnt baquazhang from told me that nobody wanted to 'spar' with me because one day after class, I was playing around with
the punching bad for about 10 minutes then i whippoed around in yangzhang executed a kick to the underbelly of the bag and the bag came crashing down. I was as shocked as everyone else ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:32 pm

Oh wait! Actually my 2nd boxing trainer sparred with me twice. The first time he dropped me with a body shot. The second time, a couple years later, we sparred and my defense was much better, he couldn't land any solid shots on me. Almost forgot about that. And one of my Karate senseis used to spar with me as well.
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:34 pm

But for tui shou and rou shou, yes. A number of my teachers did this...
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:02 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Some did, some didn't. Generally it was more frightening than instructive (except to inform me how low level my skills were in comparison).

+100
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan