Wu Style Tips, Please

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Wu Style Tips, Please

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Because I have always admired the Wu style, I have started trying to learn the slow form (based on Ma Yueliang's line). Since I've never learned Wu style, and have as a background only a bit of Yang, with lots of bagua and xingyi, I would appreciate any hints or tips that may help. For example:

- How soft is soft? In bagua, for example, you are actually more taut than soft.
- Any tips for intention, qi, whatever?
- Anything else :D

*Before anyone asks - the only taiji schools around me are modern wushu taiji...
edededed
Great Old One

Re: Wu Style Tips, Please

Postby windwalker on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:46 pm

what styles have you practiced before starting with wu?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby edededed on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:59 pm

12 years Liang bagua, a bit less of Guo Yunxing xingyi, and many shorter stints doing lots of other things (yiquan, praying mantis, etc.). In terms of taiji, I did Yang-ish styles for maybe 4 years total (24 step, first third of long form, taiji saber); I also did push hands later on. Never tried any of the other taiji styles, although I suspect that my first introduction to taiji as a little kid at camp somewhere was the Cheng style :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Alexatron on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:38 pm

I'm currently learning the Wu small circle form (not sure if it has another Chinese name but that's how I know it). Totally different foundations from Chen 19 and 38 forms that I've been doing previously. We're currently concentrating on finding the circularity in the form which is a real trip down the rabbit hole. Will be interested to hear what the experts have to say on the subject.
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:11 am

You are starting from the wrong place
If you really want to get the real strength of Wu
Start with the square form and spend some time in it before moving on
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby piccolo on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:37 pm

[quote="edededed"]Because I have always admired the Wu style, I have started trying to learn the slow form (based on Ma Yueliang's line). Since I've never learned Wu style, and have as a background only a bit of Yang, with lots of bagua and xingyi, I would appreciate any hints or tips that may help. For example:

- How soft is soft? In bagua, for example, you are actually more taut than soft.
- Any tips for intention, qi, whatever?
- Anything else :D

This is how I practice it. As soft as possible but need to be balanced equally with extension. (This is built on a foundation of maintaining sound body alignment principles.) Gradually if you can up the softness and relaxation, you also need to up the extension to balance that. The result is over time, there is an elasticity in the form.

Have fun! Conversely, I am doing the same with Baguazhang, trying to work these things out. =P
Last edited by piccolo on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piccolo
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Do you guys have teachers
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Niall Keane on Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:54 am

Cheng Tin-hung (one time Wu gatekeeper)and students in late 1950s:

Wudang Tai Chi - Cheng Tin Hung Classic Footage: http://youtu.be/Ng6nhhJh7sU

How soft??? As appropiate
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby XiaoXiong on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:50 pm

My best advice us to try to feel empty and relax in the direction you are moving. The mind goes first and the body follows. Try to be expansive in your mind and not add anything to the form. The more tension you take away the higher the quality of the practice.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby palmslam on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:35 am

I would just relax as stated earlier. Of course maintain a good structure and keep it slow. The 108 I Wu style from Li Jing Wu takes us 1Hr, 10 minutes to do. When I stopped sweating, I progressed to new level. Be patient. Don't over think the form. Time and Energy!

V/r
S. Manning
palmslam
Anjing

Postby HaraldH on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:00 am

With regards to softness in the sense of resposiveness and the ability to change while keeping good rooting I would say the softer the better. What that means in detail is of course complicated.
HaraldH
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Good style tips to keep in mind: Windsor knot and a proper pocket linen.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:05 am

Slap on some Hai Karate aftershave then some Murray's hair pomade.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:09 am

My advice as a Wu guy is to just do exactly the things your teacher tells you to do, the devil is in the details.

I doubt a forum can offer much more.

Also I don't think that learning the square form is necessary, then again I'm far from a forms collector but as I see it the Shanghai style has enough to work on as it is (even if one could train sixty hours a week) but if your teacher thinks you need the square form too then by all means, why wouldn't you?

What I can say is I fast form is nothing short of sublime. It's my favorite among the whole Shanghai Wu, not that I know everything there is to know (far from it) but I would be satisfied with just doing that form really well and knowing everything there is to know about it in this one life.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 am

Stay Calm and do the Wu style!
Don't sweat it cause it don''t sweat ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan