Review Research of Marital Arts?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Review Research of Marital Arts?

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:50 am

So, I got an email from this guy called Jonathan Bluestein who wants me to review something called 'Research of Martial Arts' on my blog... have you heard of him? ;D

Apparently I get a free book if I do it! Should I?
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Review Research of Marital Arts?

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:41 pm

Apparently I did not recognize it was you when I sent the email?... I cannot find any 'Graham B' on my lists. Given that you are not exactly my biggest fan, I would have avoided sending such an email had I known. Of course, you are happy to take the opportunity to try and mock me in public after I have made a friendly proposal in private. Mature as always. I should thank you though, for the opportunity to write more of my work.

I have sent emails to quite a few bloggers and teachers, offering free copies to those interested in my work. I politely ask these individuals to review my book, but leave them the option to write whatever they wish. So far, I have only received positive feedback and great reviews. People have even been so kind as to take pictures of themselves with the book (over 15 pictures, and I never asked anyone for it!). All of the reviews and most of the pictures can be read and seen here: http://www.researchofmartialarts.com/#!reviews/c8h4

Haters will hate, but the show will go on. Research of Martial Arts is more popular than ever. :) In fact, in 2 years time I shall be releasing a second edition of the book, which would see it evolved from 418 pages to over 650. I have already conducted highly entertaining interviews with three additional masters, and have collected lots of new material for the next edition.

Wherein you too are a martial arts teacher who is interested in reviewing my work in exchange for a free copy, I can be reached via: [email protected]
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:47 pm

I sense a disconnect here: Graham has received a book offer on marital arts, JB has written one on martial arts.

Graham:

I say go for it. Relationships are hell - and those of us in them need access to all the research we can get!
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:14 pm

GrahamB wrote:So, I got an email from this guy called Jonathan Bluestein who wants me to review something called 'Research of Martial Arts' on my blog... have you heard of him? ;D

Only a true Daoist would know (it is a secret ;D ) maybe a Buddhis,t that heaven and hell comes from the same source! If the Holy Animal craps on you, use it for the garden ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 am

jonathan.bluestein wrote:Apparently I did not recognize it was you when I sent the email?... I cannot find any 'Graham B' on my lists. Given that you are not exactly my biggest fan, I would have avoided sending such an email had I known. Of course, you are happy to take the opportunity to try and mock me in public after I have made a friendly proposal in private. Mature as always. I should thank you though, for the opportunity to write more of my work.

I have sent emails to quite a few bloggers and teachers, offering free copies to those interested in my work. I politely ask these individuals to review my book, but leave them the option to write whatever they wish. So far, I have only received positive feedback and great reviews. People have even been so kind as to take pictures of themselves with the book (over 15 pictures, and I never asked anyone for it!). All of the reviews and most of the pictures can be read and seen here: http://www.researchofmartialarts.com/#!reviews/c8h4

Haters will hate, but the show will go on. Research of Martial Arts is more popular than ever. :) In fact, in 2 years time I shall be releasing a second edition of the book, which would see it evolved from 418 pages to over 650. I have already conducted highly entertaining interviews with three additional masters, and have collected lots of new material for the next edition.

Wherein you too are a martial arts teacher who is interested in reviewing my work in exchange for a free copy, I can be reached via: [email protected]

Well good for you. I don't know what you're talking about in most of this post. I just thought it was funny to get an email from you when you know me on this forum. But, whatever... I also don't know why you think I don't like you.

I haven't read or own your book, but based on the sample chapters I'd say it just looks like a collection of the sort of basic info about internal martial arts that you can get anyway on the internet? Good for beginners. And I think you need a proper editor ;)

There you go, I've reviewed it and you didn't even need to send me a copy :o 8-)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27 am

Marital arts? The art of getting married or staying married?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:15 am

GrahamB wrote:I haven't read or own your book, but based on the sample chapters I'd say it just looks like a collection of the sort of basic info about internal martial arts that you can get anyway on the internet? Good for beginners.

Yeah, here's hanshi Patrick McCarthy - a 'beginner' who happened to really like the book. There are many additional veteran practitioners who enjoyed it (I can share more pictures if you insist).

jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:24 am

Sorry, am I only allowed to write a 100% positive review?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:58 am

I like the cover-art, where can I find that picture?
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 am

Patrick wrote:I like the cover-art, where can I find that picture?

Send me an email and I will forward it to you :-)

[email protected]
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:39 pm

I just found another show that plugged Jonathan's book, the China Uncensored youtube channel, which is a humorous news program about mainland China; they also have some good videos on Chinese culture: martial arts, music, etc. They aired a documentary about Traditional Chinese Martials Arts ("The Truth Behind Traditional Chinese Kung Fu") that I thought was excellent, and are promoting the teacher from that video with this clip. The plug for Jonathan's book comes about one minute into the video.

Learn Traditional Chinese Kung Fu Online
4:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzBGfl4WVA
Michael

Postby Ron Panunto on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:59 am

I purchased your book Jon but haven't had the chance to read it yet.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks Michael! :-)

Ron - Thank you! Once you get to it, feel free to correspond with me with any question concerning my work. [email protected] 8-)
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:58 am

I have a copy of Jonathan's book and would recommend it to anyone involved in IMA. Its a big book and I have dipped into it several times, it will take many more hours to complete it. Jonathan sometimes comes across as a brash young man, much as we old folk were in the 60's and 70's, but he has a passion for the IMA's and has done a lot of research into the why's and wherefores rather than recycling old historical materials. His ideas on power generation and the function of the fascia I found particularly interesting he has obviously done a lot of thinking on the subject. The subject matter could be valuable to those who feel there is more to the subject than merely repeating what they were told to do.
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:06 pm

GrahamB wrote:So, I got an email from this guy called Jonathan Bluestein who wants me to review something called 'Research of Martial Arts' on my blog... have you heard of him? ;D

Who? ..... lol just kidding
Ba-men
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan