Three Section Staff

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Three Section Staff

Postby Greg J on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi everyone,

A training brother of mine plays with the three section staff. He has used it to fight at a couple of Dog Brothers Gatherings. He is interested in picking up a DVD to better understand and train with this weapon.

Is there a particular DVD (or better yet, something on YouTube) that you would recommend?

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Best,

Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Re: Three Section Staff

Postby lenmccoy on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:26 pm

For an interesting look at three section staff go to you tube and type Matayoshi three section staff. The Matayoshi family are Okinawan martial artist's who have lot of weapons kata that are only one generation removed from China. It is very interesting to see some Okinawan flavor added to basically Chinese techniques. I believe Tsunami has some professional quality DVD of Matayoshi kobudo once you get tired of you tube. There are also a number of Matayoshi kobudo teachers around the world.
Ohara used to sell a three section staff book, maybe still does if not you could probably pick up a used copy on e-bay
Good Luck. Respectfully,
Len McCoy
lenmccoy
Mingjing

Postby lenmccoy on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Sorry just tried what I suggested. Try Matayoshi Sansetsukon. It will work better. Respectfully, Len McCoy
lenmccoy
Mingjing

Postby Greg J on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 am

Thank you, Len!

FWIW, I went ahead a purchased the three-sectional VCD & instructional manual from Plum Publications (http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd2/coll_ermei2.htm and (http://www.plumpub.com/sales/chinese/ch ... ad11PM.htm , respectively) for my training brother. My hope is that these can give him some ideas and direction for transitional movements/ motions he can use to get from long to medium to short range and back out again.

I will also suggest he check out the YT clips you suggested.

Thanks and take care,

Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan