Body Slam

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Body Slam

Postby johnwang on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:50 pm

Is it true that "body slam" is not allowed in some "sport"? The

- self K.O at 3.18,
- piggyback at 4.40,

are both very interested. It's hard to believe that MA has been evolved into something like this. Your thought?

Last edited by johnwang on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Body Slam

Postby yeniseri on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 pm

It is dangerous so there is agreement that it should be limited! It can be deadly. I recall a few tournaments when karate went up against BJJ, the defibite way to secure dominance was a 'body slam' as that was the true measure of an outcome.
Anything other was playing 'pat a cake'!

In my experience, there are some people who may not understand CMA and a body slam is the only way in the modern world we live in. As I thought I understood from some of my older teachers, old masters of yore had a code that relied on 'vague" notions of civility to all but when that fell apart, people just went their separate ways or kept to themselves when the new political repression showed its 'beautiful' head.
Last edited by yeniseri on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:25 pm

not a fan of mma, but an interesting question.

A Fallbrook High School wrestler has sued an opposing wrestler at Mission Hills High, claiming he was badly injured by body slams and other illegal moves during a wrestling match in January.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/apr ... ody-slams/

its seems like it depends on the rule set that one enters into.
dangerous for the people getting slammed.
lots of things seem to be illegal under the rule set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules

many that it would seem CMA use,,

olding or grabbing the fence
Holding opponent’s shorts or gloves
Butting with the head
Biting or spitting at an opponent
Hair pulling
Fish-hooking
Intentionally placing a finger into any orifice, or into any cut or laceration of an opponent
Eye gouging of any kind
Groin attacks of any kind
Downward pointing of elbow strikes (see Elbow strike)
Small joint manipulation
Strikes to the spine or back of the head (see Rabbit punch)
Heel kicks to the kidney
Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
Clawing, pinching, twisting the flesh or grabbing the clavicle
Kicking the head of a grounded opponent (see Soccer kick)
Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
Stomping on a grounded fighter
The use of abusive language in fighting area
Any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to opponent
Attacking an opponent during a break
Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
Timidity (avoiding contact, consistent dropping of mouthpiece, or faking an injury)
Interference from a mixed martial artist's cornerman
Throwing an opponent out of the ring or caged area
Flagrant disregard of the referee’s instructions
Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his or her head or neck (see Piledriver)
Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat
When a foul is charged, the referee in their discretion may deduct one or more points as a penalty. If a foul incapacitates a fighter, then the match may end in a disqualification if the foul was intentional, or a "no contest" if unintentional. If a foul causes a fighter to be unable to continue later in the bout, it ends with a technical decision win to the injured fighter if the injured fighter is ahead on points, otherwise it is a technical draw.

Medical Requirements[edit]
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Seems a few in the vid don't know when it's time to pull guard and when it's time to bail out of it. I bet they do now :o
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:31 am

Slamming isn't allowed in some organizations for BJJ. However others do allow it and what you see is less guys jumping guard.

in MMA ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cO0tdGxjqk

:D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby bartekb on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 am

Slam is the "last resort" kind of technique, it does not require a lot of technique and it does not always work as proved in MMA
in bjj tournaments people compete to test their grappling skills - so it makes no sense to allow for a technique that's not reliable, could be fatal and its based on sheer strength
Its up to bjj player to choose how to train their bjj, I generally try to use close guard as little as possible, so I either work towards a finishing technique, sweep or let go. I let go instinctively when I feel my back being lifted up.
On the other hand - properly applied triangle or armbar does not leave too much space for an slam.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:25 am

And I can't believe these are not allowed in a sports competition. It's hard to believe MA has evolved into something like this.

Contestants may not use the following techniques: strike the opponent with the head, digits, palm, fist, forearm, elbow, knee, shin or foot; bite, spit or gouge the opponent; attempt to dislocate the opponent’s joints; attempt to break the opponent’s bones; pull the opponent’s hair; pull the opponent’s trousers; pull the opponent down once thrown; continue to grapple on the area once the opponent has been thrown; stamp or stand on the opponent’s foot; use the hand or forearm to cover the opponents face; and block continuously (to a count of 5 seconds) without attempting any techniques.

http://shuaijiao.us/Rules/#4

;)
fuga
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Seems like the right response for the situation
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Orpheus on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:07 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Seems like the right response for the situation

No, it's not. They were not on the streets fighting for life and health. None of the people who were in these matches were in a life or death situation, they weren't even in a panic situation where they were about to have their arm broken off. They agreed to participate in a tournament where the rules state that these are illegal (most of them at least). This was not full contact mma. These were matches between amateurs, whose livelihoods could be affected.

Why not extend your idea to other combat sports. Punching would seem to be the right response in shuai jiao match where your opponent won't let go of you and they're stronger than you. Kicking would seem the appropriate response in a boxing match where your opponent won't let you close.

Boxing, San da, Muay thai, Sambo, Shuai Jiao, etc. These all have agreed upon rules. They have limitations to real life applications as a result. They do all fighters to go after each other in a way that they can continue to train and get better. if every combat sport was no holds barred, you would have far more cripples than practitioners.

I do think that bjj should revisit the rules of how to deal with situations where a guy picks someone else up for a slam or when somebody jumps guard and fails. It is extremely risky outside of a ring, and doesn't take a skilled practitioner to pull of the slams.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:28 pm

No where were the rules stated
If you don't want to fall out of a tree don't climb up it
If they are worried about their health they should not go into contests where they are chocked out
Micro concussion is a problem that is on the rise
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby fuga on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:55 pm

wayne hansen wrote:If they are worried about their health they should not go into contests where they are chocked out

You can tap before you are choked unconscious. You cannot tap before you are slammed.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:41 pm

fuga wrote:And I can't believe these are not allowed in a sports competition. It's hard to believe MA has evolved into something like this.

Contestants may not use the following techniques: strike the opponent with the head, digits, palm, fist, forearm, elbow, knee, shin or foot; bite, spit or gouge the opponent; attempt to dislocate the opponent’s joints; attempt to break the opponent’s bones; pull the opponent’s hair; pull the opponent’s trousers; pull the opponent down once thrown; continue to grapple on the area once the opponent has been thrown; stamp or stand on the opponent’s foot; use the hand or forearm to cover the opponents face; and block continuously (to a count of 5 seconds) without attempting any techniques.

http://shuaijiao.us/Rules/#4

;)

In SC, before the match, both parties would ask the other person to hold him up (not to slam). In one match, my teacher's opponent digged fingers into my teacher's upper inside leg and pinched very hard. My teacher got really mad and "body slam" his opponent. It turned into a group fist fight after that match.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:43 pm

bartekb wrote: I let go instinctively when I feel my back being lifted up.

Is that what the "break fall" is for?

I believe this is the right attitude. Old saying said, "When you feel that your balance is gone, it's time not to worry about winning or losing but to protect yourself from serious injury".

It's very difficult to judge whether a "body slam" is an accident or on purpose. If a 300 lb guy jumps guaid on a 150 lb guy, there is no way that his 150 lb opponent can hold him up and put him down slow and gently.

I think BJJ should treat the body lifting as arm bar, leg bar, or choke, and give winning to those who can lift the other guy's body complete off the ground.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 am

johnwang wrote:I think BJJ should treat the body lifting as arm bar, leg bar, or choke, and give winning to those who can lift the other guy's body complete off the ground.

+1

I wish I had thought of that. Instead of removing the technique from sports clearly lifting a person off the ground and placing them should be awarded as many points as a clean throw. Otherwise it breeds complacency to it.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:33 am

bartekb wrote:Slam is the "last resort" kind of technique, it does not require a lot of technique ...

Want to tell that to these guys? :D

Last edited by Ian on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan