The absurdity of Single Whip

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The absurdity of Single Whip

Postby bailewen on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:12 pm

GrahamB wrote:Andy, like Omar I had no idea what you were talking about - it's because that's not an underhook, it's an arm drag. In an arm drag you cross their body. An 'underhook' is where you go under their arm on the same side.

This.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks the Erik Paulson vid looks more like cloud hands? Especially around the 4:50 - 5:05 ...'ish. It works elsewhere in the vid but during that little section you don't really need to use your imagination to see it even.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Graham and Omar:

Whoops, wrong term. OK, "arm drag," not "tricep underhook."

And sure, Paulson's stuff also looks like/transfers to cloud hands too; indeed, this kind of application makes sense of the side step used in cloud hands which so many "applications" fail to take into account. In Chen Village, they use a lot of these upper arm and shoulder manipulations at the close range that can get you to your opponent's side or back; these kinds of techniques make sense out of a lot of the curved hand and arm movements in the form.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Dajenarit:

SNIP
"Me and wifey were playing around trying to make something of single whip... just leads to getting punched in the face in our little test."
SNIP

Kindly keep your discussions of domestic violence/spousal abuse to yourself, sir.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:05 am

Looks like Ken doesn't know the app.
roger hao

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:33 am

Single whip is the blooming of cloud hands
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Cloud hands is the antecedent of Single Whip in the form?
roger hao

Postby bailewen on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Now that you mention it...it is actually.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Depends on what style and how you interprete the movements. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Naw, Cloud Hands always follows SW. But, I think the question is what was meant by "blooming." Anyway, it's possible to start Cloud Hands from any position, no. SW functions as a transition.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Well... I don't know about anyone else here, but the single whip application that I practice actually DOES look the same as the form and is extremely practical/ effective. Basically, right wrist deflects incoming right hand punch (or push or grab or just preps for a counter-grab against a wrist grab), right hand turns over grabbing wrist of striking hand and pulling opponent off-balance to right rear corner while using left upper arm to lock opponent's extended elbow and nudge him further off-balance (or even violently spraining his elbow), then the left hand sweeps across opponent's face/ forehead and takes him down to the rear (where you have stepped with your left leg and broken his base by bumping his legs). The left hand could alternately be used to simply apply a whipping fingertip strike to the eyes or edge of hand chop to the throat or bridge of nose rather than doing the takedown.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Agreed. It works or it wouldn't be repeated some eight times throughout Yi and Erlu. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby bruce on Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:57 pm

cerebus wrote:Well... I don't know about anyone else here, but the single whip application that I practice actually DOES look the same as the form and is extremely practical/ effective. Basically, right wrist deflects incoming right hand punch (or push or grab or just preps for a counter-grab against a wrist grab), right hand turns over grabbing wrist of striking hand and pulling opponent off-balance to right rear corner while using left upper arm to lock opponent's extended elbow and nudge him further off-balance (or even violently spraining his elbow), then the left hand sweeps across opponent's face/ forehead and takes him down to the rear (where you have stepped with your left leg and broken his base by bumping his legs). The left hand could alternately be used to simply apply a whipping fingertip strike to the eyes or edge of hand chop to the throat or bridge of nose rather than doing the takedown.

do you think you should change your form to fit your applications for single whip?
bruce
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:12 am

Isn't that what everyone does?
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:58 am

bruce wrote:do you think you should change your form to fit your applications for single whip?

I don't have to. The form fits the application very well.
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby salcanzonieri on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:27 am

In the Shaolin Rou Quan sets, which is very close to tai ji quan functionally and in postural movements, what is known as Single Whip is actually a transition between postures (look around 24 seconds in, it starts before the turn around):

What is named single whip in Shaolin is always found in Xiao Hong Quan sets, which is just punching horizontally from outwards on both sides of the body (27 seconds in):
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan