reactive centrifugal force peng/lu

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

reactive centrifugal force peng/lu

Postby everything on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:10 pm

The diagram describes a theoretical example of a ball tied to a string and in rotation around a post. Basically a circular motion creates an incoming force and a balancing centrifugal force. Similar to peng/lu, incoming force is borrowed (lu) circularly to create centripetal/centrifugal force (peng). Although the string is under tension and your arm (for example) needs some tension, there is net zero force on it (in lab/theory) since the in/out forces are balanced: "no force" with no qi concept required in the explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_centrifugal_force
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: reactive centrifugal force peng/lu

Postby Niall Keane on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Already an orthodox description of this Cai Lang method you describe in many styles of TCC:, no need to reinvent the wheel:

FAN TENG LANG –Churning/Turbulent Wave – centripetal force followed by centrifugal force.
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Cool yup. Physics is physics so nothing for the MA crowd to reinvent but I hadn't seen the "reactive" phrase.

The zero force part is perhaps more interesting. No b.s. explanation of this phenomenon.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:01 pm

Niall Keane wrote:Already an orthodox description of this Cai Lang method you describe in many styles of TCC:, no need to reinvent the wheel:

FAN TENG LANG –Churning/Turbulent Wave – centripetal force followed by centrifugal force.

Yeah that's real nice but how many people do you know that can actually utilise his principal naturally without thinking in their art? ;)
willywrong

Postby liokault on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:24 pm

willywrong wrote:
Niall Keane wrote:Already an orthodox description of this Cai Lang method you describe in many styles of TCC:, no need to reinvent the wheel:

Yeah that's real nice but how many people do you know that can actually utilise his principal naturally without thinking in their art? ;)

There is no applicability to this, it's irrelevant, it adds nothing, it clarifies nothing. It's a crutch for those not actually training.

Apart from that, there's no such thing as centrifugal force.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Huh?

I think most of us have felt it in ph or grappling sports many times. But not bothered with various words or physics study. :shrug:
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:12 pm

liokault wrote:There is no applicability to this, it's irrelevant, it adds nothing, it clarifies nothing. [snip]

This. I'm all about the physics (and mechanics, and anatomy), but it only works as a model if folks understand the meaning of the words they're using.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Niall Keane on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:25 am

liokault wrote:
willywrong wrote:

There is no applicability to this, it's irrelevant, it adds nothing, it clarifies nothing. It's a crutch for those not actually training.

That's a pretty retarded statement, I find it offensive too, as I'm sure it was designed to be taken.
Nine the less, my student Marc Crowe spent 6 months training cai lang methods with me for moving step tuishou. He had been getting nowhere for years as he will tell you himself. Nowbhe it the Irish national champ innopen weight and hot a silver in the British.

Like anything is not practiced it amounts to empty verbalage, if trained it is effective. You have trained practical tai chi and you should therefore know that the skill is held to be one of the highest atainable, with specific training methods and drills. That's a lot of good tcc people to contradict ! But be the genius!

As for using it without thinking, anyone I've trained seems capable.
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby liokault on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:03 am

Niall Keane wrote:

That's a pretty retarded statement, I find it offensive too, as I'm sure it was designed to be taken.
Nine the less, my student Marc Crowe spent 6 months training cai lang methods with me for moving step tuishou. He had been getting nowhere for years as he will tell you himself. Nowbhe it the Irish national champ innopen weight and hot a silver in the British.

Like anything is not practiced it amounts to empty verbalage, if trained it is effective. You have trained practical tai chi and you should therefore know that the skill is held to be one of the highest atainable, with specific training methods and drills. That's a lot of good tcc people to contradict ! But be the genius!

I was talking to willy, but I'm glad you gave your guy a shaky understanding of cod physics and now has a national champ in two countries.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby Niall Keane on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:26 am

liokault wrote:
Niall Keane wrote:

I was talking to willy, but I'm glad you gave your guy a shaky understanding of cod physics and now has a national champ in two countries.

Apologies, I misunderstood, and I guess you might have too, as I dont give physics classes. Just coaching in applying cai lang methods. That involves repeated application practice, free wrestling with focus and orthodox tuishou drills. All with progressive resistance, nothing that strange really.
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 am

"That's a pretty retarded statement..."

Not picking a fight here, but as long as we're registering offense, I work with the mentally disabled. It's not a kind term.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:16 pm

liokault wrote:
willywrong wrote:

What because it's the fictitious force and is only observable when there is motion. It is true in an absolute sense but not in a relative. I still train so I guess you must be referring to something else. :D
willywrong

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan