"Not everyone is worth teaching . . . "

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "Not everyone is worth teaching . . . "

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:40 pm

I totally agree, but I do feel some moral obligation to spread what has been passed down to me to later generations so that this knowledge is not lost. Making a living off of it isn't easy, but another reason to teach is to have sparring partners. If your rates aren't too high this shouldn't be too hard to achieve. My master asks for 1200元 from prospective students. If he feels that they have trained hard he will return 200 every month until they are learning for free. If they don't work hard he gets to at least keep the money so that his time wasn't entirely wasted. In this way the students that really want it have the opportunity (and for free!) with little risk to Shifu if they don't. :)
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Personally I think martial art instructors are expecting too much if they expect a hundred percent dedication and loyalty.

Although I know where you're coming from and I don't think I would teach if I felt that way because I do feel that way which is why I don't teach. I got tired of people flaking but on the other hand I realize people have a lot of other important stuff in their lives and unless they're professional fighters, work security/law enforcement, or teach martial arts themselves I don't think you should expect more than a two year commitment from average dedicated student.

I'm currently not training (with a school). I wish I could but between my long hours at work and two kids it's just not practical for to pay for monthly training and show up two times.

The cool thing is that the place I did judo and I hope to do judo again someday realizes that the average person will probably only do two years of judo before life throws too many other commitments at them. Yet they welcome this and try to use that time to show those people the essence of judo.

I should add I didn't like teaching because the whole cult leader thing. When I train with someone (student or partner) I try to train so we both get something out of it so I sometimes let them win by going light, unfortunately that is not what people are looking for in a teacher, most want the BEST. Oh well, wasn't for me. Perhaps someday I'll teach taiji for health but martial arts aren't likely.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:24 am

Oh, what heavy cross to bear, being a martial arts instructor ;D
Ian

Postby Michael on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:35 am

It's like how all the pop music bands write songs about how terrible it is to travel across the world and get paid to get laid.

But very few people are worth teaching anything interesting, however you gotta put up with that to find the few who are. Or not.
Michael

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:56 am

There's no place like Utopia. If people want to make a living as a teacher, they need to be prepared to teach anyone who can pay the fee. The teacher need to teach the students on their own terms and give them what they want. The teacher is there for the students, it's not the other way around.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 am

"who are you to Judge". IMO The sooner this coach realizes he is just another guy the better a coach he will be.

Oh, what heavy cross to bear, being a martial arts instructor ;D

The burden gets heavier and heavier the more titles, style names, syllabus', disciples, outdoor students, indoor students, scrolls, etc you lay on your shoulders. The higher you place yourself ... the further you are from the people your trying to coach.

Rather than standing on the shoulders of Giants, you end up with Giants standing on yours.

Some things that could help those budding coaches out there ...

1) Define YOUR goals as a coach. If you want a fight team, then reject people who don't share that vision.
2)Get people to define THEIR goals straight away!!! then coach them towards those goals. Its not your job as a coach to tell people what they should want to achieve. If your thinking you want to create fighters and people are arriving wanting good health .. you need to identify that early and politely decline.
3) Call yourself a coach at best (there is a very practical teaching reason to not put yourself on a pedestal.)
4) judge peoples 'effort' by their own goal not by yours. (if someone makes it once a week and that's all the training they do, that may well be a giant step up for where they were previously when they were just sat around watching TV eating take away' ... be proud of their efforts ... like a good coach should be! Motivate them through positivity, not through being an asshole)
5) Don't have Hierarchy in your group. (This coach places himself 'above' all others and seems to infer then should earn the right to train with him. not the attitude of a good coach imo)
6) Coach to the individual and make your coaching fluid enough to cope with the strongest in the room as well as the newest.
7) Be honest.
8) Put the student first. show them what they need, not what they want and don't show off.When i teach i will tell someone what they need, not the entirety of what i know. You are in a trusted position ... dont make it all about you.

just some thoughts fwiw.

Chris.

There's no place like Utopia. If people want to make a living as a teacher, they need to be prepared to teach anyone who can pay the fee. The teacher need to teach the students on their own terms and give them what they want. The teacher is there for the students, it's not the other way around.

well that put it more succinctly than i did! haha ... +1
Last edited by middleway on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:06 am

Interventions can be benefical for anyone. You cannot expect the same results from everyone. Everybody can progress. Even if its just a little.
I would do the following

1. Examine the current level. What/Where are the weaknesses. Identify the strengths (work with them for improved motivation).
2. Training with a focus on the weaknesses (but always include something that he/she can do good!)
3. Check for improvement/progress
4. Adjust the training programm

I believe anyone can progress, but we cannot expect Ido Portal results from everybody. That would just be insane, and not fair.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:11 am

Those are some really good points that could only be learned through experience. :)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:32 am

Without a doubt he definitely shouldn't be teaching. That is a VERY high horse.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:40 am

Just wondering, do people who say this sort of thing ever consider THEMSELVES unworthy of instruction? ;D
Ian

Postby KEND on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:13 am

Have been teaching on and off for over 40 yrs. Had my own school taught full time for a while [good experience but fortunately I don't have to earn my living at it]Just finished teaching a group that was a five year commitment,. Am retiring from that type of commitment, hope they continue the art. I found certain criteria are necessary. [1] do not get attached to the end result-do your best if they get it- good, if they don't-good [2] I only teach people with at least 5 years experience in Shaolin or related MA's including full contact experience[3] Realize that you are not going to get the perfect student, you yourself were probably anything but that.[4] If they are dilettantes I dump them-ideally they have a passion for the arts
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:58 am

I love teaching, but I love training even more, and I'm sick to death of martial arts, time-wasters and the idly curious. If I do decide to teach again, the filter/vetting policy will be much more stringent.

Yes sir I second that... I was just asked to teach again, can't do it. Too many debutantes and time-wasters. (the big one for me is when all they want to do is pose and learn forms) Once in a while someone will come along worth teaching, but that's few and far in between. Besides I'm not to sure this stuff was meant to be taught in mass anyway, nor be commercially successful. Seems to loose integrity along with other things when it does.
Last edited by Ba-men on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:54 pm

That's why I quit going to classes taught by so-called teachers/sifus/gurus. Too many debutantes and time wasters.

I love these guys that start talking about how they dislike or don't need to teach ahead of all their seminars....
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby chud on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Steve Rowe wrote:Without a doubt he definitely shouldn't be teaching. That is a VERY high horse.

+1
chud
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:19 pm

I agree with the erudite and venerable Mr. Delves. You need to be clear in your own mind what it is that you want to teach, and find the students you think might be receptive. That is why I pretty much limit myself to strength lifters and people with good traditional Shaolin backgrounds.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan