"Not everyone is worth teaching . . . "

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "Not everyone is worth teaching . . . "

Postby KEND on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks Ken, I know from personal experience your commitment to teaching the real thing and the reluctance of the majority of students to get down and dirty to learn the real art. It is an age of too much information where often those who are the best self promoters seem to get the most students. I also know you have had disappointments in the past with promising students but still continued to soldier on. I encourage the younger generation not to give up teaching, it is part of the learning process
KEND
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 pm

+1
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:09 am

+2.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:52 am

People train in MA's for many different reasons and outcomes, from social gathering, to street fighter to Buddhist Priest, Teachers exist for those many different reasons and outcomes, I don't see a problem with that. When you think your way is the only way and it's the students and other Instructors fault that you can't teach properly..... like I said, that's a very high, lonely and bitter horse.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:17 am

+1 to Steve Rowe's recent post as well.

On the other hand, teaching taiji brings it's own set of issues as the potential audience for such classes runs the gamut from the elderly and New Age set to those who want to compete and at the other end those that are serious about martial training in a taiji context. For a teacher, it can be very frustrating to try and provide all those options, especially if you run a commercial space and don't just default to letting senior students teach most of the beginner-level classes.

The closest I ever came to giving up on teaching completely was at the end of a five year period in which I had been making some decent money [the only time in 25+ years of teaching taiji] by running a lot of introductory classes in slow form and qigong at my own facility as well as at fitness and community centers.

After endless basics and slow form with beginners at those "outside" venues who were often there only because "Yang style is easy, isn't it?"; I had a fuller wallet, a happier wife and a depleted interest in my own training or working with those in the classes where people who wanted and were able to work with some intensity and ability.

So after a lot of soul-searching, I chucked in the outside workshops and missed the extra money but never missed the traveling from group to group or the endless starting over with beginners who largely didn't have the motivation to work, even a little, at something as basic as a beginner's short form or Baduajin.

My apologies to those few who actually thrived in those environments and went on to study Yang style more properly with myself or other local teachers... but those people were a definite minority in the 600+ people that I taught in a variety of such ten-week programs all over my geographical area.

I much prefer what I am doing for the last few years since I closed my school which is training in my basement with a few local colleagues and former senior students. Then again, the training has always been more important to me than the teaching and being thought of as a "teacher".
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:47 am

Steve Rowe wrote:People train in MA's for many different reasons and outcomes, from social gathering, to street fighter to Buddhist Priest, Teachers exist for those many different reasons and outcomes, I don't see a problem with that.

Michael Babin wrote: I much prefer what I am doing for the last few years since I closed my school which is training in my basement with a few local colleagues and former senior students. Then again, the training has always been more important to me than the teaching and being thought of as a "teacher".

I whole heartedly agree with Steve, but I myself am very much like Michael this way. There's absolutely nothing wrong with people, and everyone is different. But I need to be true to myself and understand my own limitations. I hate teaching health stuff and I hate teaching those people who are there to practice their health only and those who are there socializing. I want productive classes that leads forward, teach people something of interest and something that they can use, but all on my own terms. The flaws are all within me. I am a completely terrible teacher for anyone who has different goals and different interests than me. My mind set is just all too narrow to become a good teacher. After I gave up my class (due to shifting work and no more time to teach) I am very happy for those who continued elewhere. I couldn't give them what they asked for and I am solely the one to blaim. :-[

8-)
Last edited by Bao on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Some teach for themselves; some teach for others. If a teacher is disappointed because his students aren't learning because what he's teaching would benefit them, that's one thing. If he's disgusted because they or not enough of them appreciate what he is teaching, that's something else.

I also agree with what Steve R. wrote about a teacher being on a high horse. Then again, we all have our faults.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:22 pm

I used to ignore some, if not all of my flaws, but then I got married and my wife is very good at keeping track of what is apparently a long list of flaws in my character. :)
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:39 pm

I only teach one kind of student. Those who are willing to

- compete in tournament (test his skill against people from other styles),
- teach in the future (pass knowledge down to the future generation).

It's better to grow "trees" than to grow "bean sprouts" if money is not the issue here.

Of course the "money issue" is a relative term. It's not an absolute term. I still remember my teacher had taught a construction company owner Taiji for "health only". If someone is willing to pay me big money for "health", will I turn him down? May be not. ;D

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:46 pm

I have similar complaints - people that come in and the only time they ever practise what you give them is while they are in class, outside of class martial arts is the last thing on their mind. granted, they help pay the bills but they're not someone you can be proud to say is your student, as their abilities (or lack of) are a direct reflection upon you as their teacher. Does that make me 'the wrong type of teacher"? Not at all - I don't welcome those types because I'm not trying to pay for a Hummer that I've leased for my school as a business expense. I care enough to want to see my students progress - if they're not putting an effort in I might draw attention to it and suggest they take up badminton or something less strenuous. Perhaps if I simply let a handful of intermediate students teach the beginners then wait to see who makes it through the first 2 years and is still around to learn something more indepth but I was never in a school like that which may have a direct influence on why I don't think that way. I take my students much more serious than that so I don't want to spend time on someone that simply wants to 'say' they practise a martial art rather than one that practises the hell out of it because they want to 'get it'.

*we reserve the right refuse service* is alright in my book. The group must have a good 'cultural fit' (everyone gets along)

If they're simply looking for exercise and not fighting skills that's fine, but define that with me from the get go and I will decide if I want you in the group as I will have to adjust YOUR training compared to the other guys.
Last edited by meeks on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:59 pm

meeks wrote:people that come in and the only time they ever practise what you give them is while they are in class, ...

I share the same experience as you do. One time I taught Taiji for the "Austin Chinese Professional Association" once a week on Sunday. Since I tried to teach them the 108 moves Taiji form. In the 1st class, I taught them the 1st 7 moves. In the 2nd class, I found out that most of them just didn't know how to do it. After asking them, I found out that most of them just didn't practice at home. I told them that there is no way that I would be able to teach them the 108 move Taiji form. I then asked one of my students to teach that class.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:45 pm

In the 1st class, I taught them the 1st 7 moves. In the 2nd class, I found out that most of them just didn't know how to do it.

:) In some of my first classes, we weren't even taught one entire move, not even the commencement. Some might say that it was a way to ensure that the student would take more classes. Otoh, it meant standing in the same stance for an hour or two. Yeah, some people would say, "f this" and leave. Some others would simply chat until the instructor came around again and said, "ok, show me." Of course, those who were diligent did that "one, two" at least 100 times.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Steve James wrote:
In the 1st class, I taught them the 1st 7 moves. In the 2nd class, I found out that most of them just didn't know how to do it.

:) In some of my first classes, we weren't even taught one entire move,

One of my friends took him 2 years to finish the same form. I used to teach in the university semester class that held about 4 months per session. I usually finished the

1st month - 1st part of 20 moves Taiji,
2nd month - 2nd part of 30 move Taiji (some duplicated moves),
3rd month - 3rd part of 58 move Taiji (more duplicated moves),
4th month - review the whole 108 moves.

I would just stop after the 4 months session and started a new class after that.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:09 am

Michael Babin wrote:+1 to Steve Rowe's recent post as well.

On the other hand, teaching taiji brings it's own set of issues as the potential audience for such classes runs the gamut from the elderly and New Age set to those who want to compete and at the other end those that are serious about martial training in a taiji context. For a teacher, it can be very frustrating to try and provide all those options, especially if you run a commercial space and don't just default to letting senior students teach most of the beginner-level classes.

The closest I ever came to giving up on teaching completely was at the end of a five year period in which I had been making some decent money [the only time in 25+ years of teaching taiji] by running a lot of introductory classes in slow form and qigong at my own facility as well as at fitness and community centers.

After endless basics and slow form with beginners at those "outside" venues who were often there only because "Yang style is easy, isn't it?"; I had a fuller wallet, a happier wife and a depleted interest in my own training or working with those in the classes where people who wanted and were able to work with some intensity and ability.

So after a lot of soul-searching, I chucked in the outside workshops and missed the extra money but never missed the traveling from group to group or the endless starting over with beginners who largely didn't have the motivation to work, even a little, at something as basic as a beginner's short form or Baduajin.

My apologies to those few who actually thrived in those environments and went on to study Yang style more properly with myself or other local teachers... but those people were a definite minority in the 600+ people that I taught in a variety of such ten-week programs all over my geographical area.

I much prefer what I am doing for the last few years since I closed my school which is training in my basement with a few local colleagues and former senior students. Then again, the training has always been more important to me than the teaching and being thought of as a "teacher".

I could totally see myself becoming a Basement/Backyard Master.. After putting in this many years of sweat and blood I can't imagine that many would pay money for this (THEY must be crazy, right??). When I taught Sanda in the U.S a year or two it was pathetic.. I had a class at a local YMCA and an ENTIRE blackbelt class of TKD (or was in Karate?) students stayed on for my class. After about forty five minutes one just walked over and started putting on his shoes and the rest just shuffled out. I was like "WTF, we aren't even done with the warm-ups.." The next week when I came early to train by myself before "class" no one of would even make eye contact. "Go ahead and return to your fucking mystical cavern," I thought..
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:14 am

meeks wrote:I have similar complaints - people that come in and the only time they ever practise what you give them is while they are in class, outside of class martial arts is the last thing on their mind. granted, they help pay the bills but they're not someone you can be proud to say is your student, as their abilities (or lack of) are a direct reflection upon you as their teacher. Does that make me 'the wrong type of teacher"? Not at all - I don't welcome those types because I'm not trying to pay for a Hummer that I've leased for my school as a business expense. I care enough to want to see my students progress - if they're not putting an effort in I might draw attention to it and suggest they take up badminton or something less strenuous. Perhaps if I simply let a handful of intermediate students teach the beginners then wait to see who makes it through the first 2 years and is still around to learn something more indepth but I was never in a school like that which may have a direct influence on why I don't think that way. I take my students much more serious than that so I don't want to spend time on someone that simply wants to 'say' they practise a martial art rather than one that practises the hell out of it because they want to 'get it'.

*we reserve the right refuse service* is alright in my book. The group must have a good 'cultural fit' (everyone gets along)

If they're simply looking for exercise and not fighting skills that's fine, but define that with me from the get go and I will decide if I want you in the group as I will have to adjust YOUR training compared to the other guys.

I'd like to think that, though direct (I am Dutch after all), I have a little bit of tact. I'll ask my current students:

Me: "So, do you have any questions about the stuff I told you to practise last time?"
*DEAFENING SILENCE*
Me: "You did practise over the week-long holiday period, right??"
*CRICKETS CHIRP - A FART IS HEARD FROM TWELVE KILOMETRES AWAY*
Me: "Sigh..."
MaartenSFS
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan