Xingyi and Bagua: means to an end. Sifu Patterson reviews

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Xingyi and Bagua: means to an end. Sifu Patterson reviews

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:40 pm

But language skill is like a special filter - if your brain is fitted with the right one, it will properly place sounds into different categories as required. If you have the wrong one - say, a Japanese language filter for the English language - then the normally differentiated sounds ("R" and "L") will be thrown into a same, undifferentiated bucket (the "RL" bucket).

Yes. Exactly right. There is an experiment where a Japanese speaker is asked to say something like "bunraku" fast and then say it slower and slower. To English speakers, the "r" starts to be heard as an "l". But, the Japanese speaker doesn't register the change at all.

Bruce Lee should NOT have been Kato, if only because a REAL Kato (i.e. Japanese-born) would have said "Blitto Leedo." We demand authenticity!

Lmao :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:57 pm

My tai-chi teacher used to call me 'Beer'.

So, of course, then all the other students started to copy him. And that was it, my school name was Beer. ;D
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:59 pm

For me, it's a lot easier to learn a new consonant, though, than a new vowel - since vowels are sort of just arbitrarily set ranges on an x-y axis of tongue positions... Of course, we are usually lucky in that most languages do not have that many vowels (anyway, less than English), so we get a free pass!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:17 pm

Bill wrote:My tai-chi teacher used to call me 'Beer'.

So, of course, then all the other students started to copy him. And that was it, my school name was Beer. ;D

My one spent 30 minutes trying to pronounce "leverage". I gave up before he did.

That said he laughed whenever I mentioned "toilet" in mandarin so the door swings both ways.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Wildfist on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 pm

I tried to find some mike patterson youtube vids but came up empty. Anybody know of any?
Wildfist
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Most I have seen are just teasers for mikes DVD,s
Try his web site
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby bruce on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Wildfist wrote:I tried to find some mike patterson youtube vids but came up empty. Anybody know of any?

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMikePatterson/videos
bruce
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan