GB 22 energy points

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

GB 22 energy points

Postby wingchun on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Can someone explain how to activate GB 22 energy points to energeticly connect the arms to the rest of the body for power generation and transmission of force?
wingchun
Mingjing

Re: GB 22 energy points

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:40 pm

I would like to know what you mean by activate
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wingchun on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:03 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I would like to know what you mean by activate

to engage or energeticly link one's arms to his torso.
wingchun
Mingjing

Postby wiesiek on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:58 pm

circling arm forward
and
backwards
keep principles in horse riding position
-breathing in when goin` up
-change directions
-change arms
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Such
wingchun wrote:Can someone explain how to activate GB 22 energy points to energeticly connect the arms to the rest of the body for power generation and transmission of force?

Such a thing is not feasible as the arms are part of the body i.e extension of the body. Regarding power generation /transmission of force, then weight lifting is one way top reach that goal.

If part of a condition (symptom presentation) "heat" "cold" "deficiency" etc and when used in conjunction with X location, then there may be a health related benefit as in better quality of life and less symptom severity, or extinction of adverse event.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby zrm on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:31 am

If you gently compress your chest as you inhale you can expand air into your back and sideways into your ribcage. You can use this type of expansion to generate power into your arms. To do so you need to train your latissimus dorsi to open up a bit.
zrm
Huajing

Postby wingchun on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:45 pm

zrm wrote:If you gently compress your chest as you inhale you can expand air into your back and sideways into your ribcage. You can use this type of expansion to generate power into your arms. To do so you need to train your latissimus dorsi to open up a bit.

thanks zrm,
this sounds like what i was referring to, are you referring to engaging your transverse abdominis (pull your belly button back towards your spine) while breathing so that your rib-cage expands? some more details of how to do this would be great.

Also please elaborate wheather this is something that's taught in the internal arts to improve qi flow and transmission of force to and from the arms? and which one of the internal arts teach this, and what the training method is to develop this?
Last edited by wingchun on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wingchun
Mingjing

Postby Bill on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Connecting your arms to your ribs takes exercises, not dreams.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Tien kan bill
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby zrm on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:36 am

wingchun wrote: this sounds like what i was referring to, are you referring to engaging your transverse abdominis (pull your belly button back towards your spine) while breathing so that your rib-cage expands?

That's a similar exercise for lower dan tien. The exercise I was talking of is a similar kind of thing but aimed at the middle dan tien. Once you can do middle and lower, you can do both at the same time activating the transverse abdominis and the latissimus dorsi muscles so your lower and upper back expands outwards and back in a curve.

In my line of ziranmen we start these exercises as a breath method. When done correctly the breath method alone will stretch your back muscles and open them up a bit. After the breath method we progress to a series of whole body stretches based on self-resistance which use the breath method as part of the stretch. To be honest I'd have to do a video to explain these properly.

From a martial aspect the training can be used facilitate a peng-jin like power (to use a taiji term) but if you expand your body in this way quickly enough you can also use it to develop a one-inch punch type power. In application you throw the punch and then add this type of expansion just on impact.

Use of this type of power is not restricted ziranmen. I've seen similar concepts in taiji and xing yi. Some people in taiji talk of holding zhan zhaung posture and imagining a feeling as if they are holding an ball that is inflating so their arms are expanding outwards in all directions but their fingers end up pushing towards each other in a pincher movement because it's as if their arms are becoming elongated. I'm not sure if you can makes sense of that description but its the same kind of concept. I don't know if these other systems have exercises to train this power in this specific manner though.
zrm
Huajing

Postby KEND on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:31 am

The method is physical rather than energetic. The static stance Santi connects hand to body [ribs]
KEND
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:04 pm

I agree but I would argue that it starts physical and moves into the energetic. San ti is a good example as it serves a similar purpose to zhan zhuang. It teaches you to relax but also expand outwards in a very subtle way. Eventually you start to feel various sensations, usually starting with a warm sensation in the palms of your hands, but extending to other things. Eventually you can learn to decouple the creation of these sensations from the posture and the breathing. Whether or not these sensations are purely imaginary is open to question but they certainly feel real to the practitioner and outside observers can often tell the difference between a santi or zhan zhuang posture that is expanding energetically and one that is not, although they may have trouble describing exactly what is different on a physical posture level.
Last edited by zrm on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrm
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan