A Note on Ben Lo

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

A Note on Ben Lo

Postby Bob on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:12 am

http://socaltaichi.com/?p=246

A Visit with Ben Lo

06. August 2014 · 1 comment · Categories: Uncategorized

Benjamin Pang-Jeng Lo began his studies with Cheng Man Ching in 1949 in Taiwan. Although many famous disciples like T.T, Liang, Robert W. Smith, and William C.C. Chen followed, Ben Lo was Professor Cheng’s first major disciple and one of his most prominent.

Master Lo was in school at the time and was very weak. He said he could hardly walk up stairs or cross a street without gasping for breath. So, he sought out Professor Cheng who was a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioner. While treating his condition, the professor suggested that Ben take up tai chi to make his system strong enough to absorb the herbal medicine he was taking.

After his condition improved, Ben continued his studies with Cheng Man Ching until the Professor moved to New York. Then in 1974, Ben got a call to join his teacher and help him promote tai chi among American students. Ben promptly gave up his position with the Taiwanese government and moved to the United States.

He eventually settled in San Francisco where he established his school and where he still resides today at the age of 87.

Hsien Yuan Chen, who leads a small Cheng Man Ching group at Smith Park in San Gabriel, and I drove up to San Francisco to have dinner with Master Lo. A steep stairway ascends from the garage at street-level to his two-story row home above, which is just a few blocks from Point Lobos and the Cliff House in the northwest corner of the city.

As one might expect, there was a black and white photograph of the Professor with a 25 year-old Ben Lo on the mantle along with calligraphy and Chinese paintings on all the walls. Stacks of notebooks and photo albums and video racks filled with DVDs were stuffed into the small living room.

Although at 87 his walk is a little wobbly, Master Lo’s spirit, nevertheless, is very much intact and quite infectious. His internal peng (ward off) energy has not diminished either. After looking at my form with some displeasure, he proceeded to let me feel his energy. No matter which way I pushed, I could not uproot him. Yet, when it was his turn to push, with hardly a touch, my toes were uprooted, and I found myself bounced away.

Ben reiterated Professor Cheng’s five principles or integrities which summarized the tai chi classics: relax, maintain your center, shift your balance (yin and yang), turn your waist (all movements are generated from the waist), and your hands should resemble “beautiful ladies’ hands.” Ben also added a sixth principle, which is to perform all five integrities together when we do our form.

That fifth principle “beautiful ladies hands” is perhaps the main point of contention among Yang tai chi practitioners. Most of the Yang stylists descended from Yang Chengfu hold their hands in the “tiger mouth” position with the thumb separated from the fingers. If the hand is relaxed, then the “tiger mouth” is not an issue. But Master Lo told a story of an ancient general to illustrate how the “tiger mouth” position can be detrimental if the hand is rigid.

The wayward thumb represents a loose nail on a horseshoe. The nail gets caught on a rock and is pulled off, the shoe is displaced, the horse stumbles and falls and the general is killed. The army is defeated, and the war is lost – all because of a loose nail. Or, in the case of some Yang practitioners, a rigid hand with an extend thumb.

Actually, the idea of “ladies hands” exists in Zhaobao, an early tai chi form which predates Yang style. Some have even named Zhaobao, the “Fair Lady” form. Professor Cheng, a scholar as well as an expert in internal energy flow, was simply using what the ancients had known centuries before. The forearm, wrist and hand held relaxed in a straight line like a lady reaching out actually increases the flow of energy to the fingertips.

Master Lo pointed out that the Professor insisted all beginners incorporate “beautiful ladies hands” into their form to increase the flow of qi and improve its circulation. Once a student has reached a higher level and increased the qi circulation, the hand can be held in any position as long as it is relaxed.

Ben Lo considers himself on a very low level when compared to Cheng Man Ching. This is not unusual considering Chinese culture. It is a matter of deep respect for one’s teachers. The Professor considered himself on a very low level when compared to his teacher, Yang Chengfu, even though he later reduced the Yang form from 108 postures to 37.

Some say the difference between the Yang and Cheng forms is much more than a reduction of postures but a change in basic fundamentals. In any case, that is a topic best left for another time.

All in all, the trip was well worth the drive up north to visit with Master Lo and hear him relate the details of his relationship with Cheng Man Ching. It reinforced my realization that taijiquan is not just an exercise but a way of life to be lived every day to the ultimate.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: A Note on Ben Lo

Postby allen2saint on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:29 am

Nice to remember that, no matter who we see them as in the MA world or think of their style, etc, they really are just people with( if they are lucky) a living room, normal lives, etc.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 am

Actually, the idea of “ladies hands” exists in Zhaobao, an early tai chi form which predates Yang style. Some have even named Zhaobao, the “Fair Lady” form. Professor Cheng, a scholar as well as an expert in internal energy flow, was simply using what the ancients had known centuries before. The forearm, wrist and hand held relaxed in a straight line like a lady reaching out actually increases the flow of energy to the fingertips.

Practiced with "Ben" back in the 80s, very nice guy and quite skilled.
Interesting to note the shape of the "ladies hands" was also emphasized by those I practiced with in China, who where not really aware of Zheng man ching, to my knowledge.

The reasoning was based on the inner energy flow, not blocking or braking it. I wouldn't call it straight, just a greater then 90 angle.
With the hand in this position the finger tips tend to touch first. The base of the palm is not used directly, the hollow that is from inside the palm is.

Some say the difference between the Yang and Cheng forms is much more than a reduction of postures but a change in basic fundamentals. In any case, that is a topic best left for another time.

All in all, the trip was well worth the drive up north to visit with Master Lo and hear him relate the details of his relationship with Cheng Man Ching. It reinforced my realization that taijiquan is not just an exercise but a way of life to be lived every day to the ultimate.

Good to hear your trip was good, "Ben" as I remember him was very kind, and quite sharing, his classes and style of teaching was very demanding.
regarding the differences this site http://www.taichiandqigong.com/yang_compare.php does a good job at comparing them, although I dont quite agree with the authors closing view points.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:26 am

Justin Meehan did an excellent comparison of the unique distinctions between the various Yang style. If only others would elucidate their distinction so others would be grounded in reality vs
'x way is the only way' etc. Visually, there is an observable distinction the "fair lady hands" of Zheng Manqing and Zhaobao practitioners since the lattler tend to show more of function and utility!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:56 am

Also visited and attended camps with Mr. Lo in the 80s. Really, really something to experience the "effortless" uproot described in the post. Probably the main reason I got interested in tjq and MA. Very different feeling from anything else. The leg exercise and zhan zhuang was very intense.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby bruce on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 am

Cool story. I like the analogy about the details of the horse shoe. Very informative.

The "ladies hand" I think is very important to generating speed and power.
Not sure if it is a similar idea or not but In one of cc chens videos he suggests to hold a banana in your hand as you practice striking with your fist, basically teaching to remain soft. The quality of the strike with "lady" hands was more subtle but also more powerful.

Is this the same idea as ladie hands?
bruce
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:27 pm

There are many hand styles in chinese martial arts and Taijiquan is no exception. While I agree the beuatiful ladies hand is one method of doing it, it is not the only way, nor "better", or more superior to others.

In Sun Lu Tang's book on Hsingyi there are two pictures of Sun standing in the San Ti stance.
1. with the wrist flat and fingers pointed straight (much like CMC "Beautiful lady'" hand)
2. the wrist is bent with fingers up.

Sun mentions that the first san ti is more for health and longevity while the second is for combat.

It is the same as I heard from Fu Zhong Wen about the "lotus leaf palm" (or 'tiger mouth' Ben Lo mentioned) in Yang tai chi chuan where the wrist is slightly bent, "the wrist bent allow blood and qi to go farther the same way when you squeeze a water hose the water sprays out a greater distance than if it was not."-FZW

read more about Lotus leaf palm in Yang TCC:
http://tedknecht.blogspot.com/2009/04/y ... -palm.html

Last edited by neijia_boxer on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi Matt, actually, you have them mixed up. If you look on the next page, Sun Jianyun mentions that the straight wrist is for combat.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:47 pm

thanks for the clarification, you are right Ian!

hand flat "like beautiful lady" is more combative according to Sun Jian Yun and the "bent" wrist is for Qi and blood circulation. Either or they both serve a function and purpose

The lotus leaf palm addresses the meridians in the hand and serve a martial purpose in the link I shared:
http://tedknecht.blogspot.com/2009/04/y ... -palm.html
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm

I would add that "older" Yang hand positioning in people like Wei Shuren and Wong Yongnan tend to show a 'fair lady hand' as opposed to the present hand positioning per Yang Chengfu.
Santi hand posture 1 was usually how Yang style positioning was until Yang chengfu 'standardized' the posture 2 endpoint!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:58 pm

windwalker wrote:

Practiced with "Ben" back in the 80s, very nice guy and quite skilled.
Interesting to note the shape of the "ladies hands" was also emphasized by those I practiced with in China, who where not really aware of Zheng man ching, to my knowledge.

The reasoning was based on the inner energy flow, not blocking or braking it. I wouldn't call it straight, just a greater then 90 angle.
With the hand in this position the finger tips tend to touch first. The base of the palm is not used directly, the hollow that is from inside the palm is.

Good to hear your trip was good, "Ben" as I remember him was very kind, and quite sharing, his classes and style of teaching was very demanding.
regarding the differences this site http://www.taichiandqigong.com/yang_compare.php does a good job at comparing them, although I dont quite agree with the authors closing view points.

In my experience I would actually have to agree that most CMC that you see out there does have the appearance of week and collapsed. Which I think is an over concentration on the yielding aspect of tai chi.
As for the Yang style that one sees out there I think its tendency is to be too Pengleading to hardness which to me is just as bad as being too yin. I think when they use language such as weak and collapsed it's being interpreted as slightly confrontational. I've included the quote below. :)

"To Yang Zhenduo, the Cheng Manching style would appear weak and collapsed. To the Cheng stylist, the Yang style might appear too overextended or external."
willywrong

Postby willywrong on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:11 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:There are many hand styles in chinese martial arts and Taijiquan is no exception. While I agree the beuatiful ladies hand is one method of doing it, it is not the only way, nor "better", or more superior to others.

I have to disagree with your above statement and tell you in all sincerity that it is actually superior and I will tell you why. It is a simple case of physics.
The hand held relaxed as in the beauteous hand is a template hand and can become any other shape without extra movement internally.
Try this hold your hand in a Tiger claw and then relax it which is what you have to do before it can become a yang hand or a Cheng man Ching hand(Although the Cheng man Ching hand is a relaxed hand).
Now hold your hand in the yang hand shape and then change it to a Tiger claw and you will see that you have to relax it before you can change it. This should make it quite clear that on a nervous system level it takes longer to change as you have to go from yang to yin to change to the next hand shape. With the Cheng man Ching beauteous hand your hand is already relaxed shifts to another shape and then returns to the template of the beauteous hand. Far superior. :)
willywrong

Postby Bao on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:11 pm

willywrong wrote:In my experience I would actually have to agree that most CMC that you see out there does have the appearance of week and collapsed. Which I think is an over concentration on the yielding aspect of tai chi."

IME, some of the greatest Tai Chi fighters looks a bit "too soft". IMHO, I think it's more that they are very secure of their skill and don't show off.
... And as they... "less is more"...
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Bao wrote:
willywrong wrote:In my experience I would actually have to agree that most CMC that you see out there does have the appearance of week and collapsed. Which I think is an over concentration on the yielding aspect of tai chi."

IME, some of the greatest Tai Chi fighters looks a bit "too soft". IMHO, I think it's more that they are very secure of their skill and don't show off.

I was referring to the limp unstructured appearance of their form. Their fighting ability well that's open to debate so tell me the names of these great tai chi fighters and I will be more than happy to give you my humble opinion.
willywrong

Postby Bao on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:22 pm

willywrong wrote:
Bao wrote:

I was referring to the limp unstructured appearance of their form. Their fighting ability well that's open to debate so tell me the names of these great tai chi fighters and I will be more than happy to give you my humble opinion.

One you know. William Chen. The other ones who I am referring to, you don't know. Sloppy appearance of form, great strength, real fighting experience....
...Oh, wait, that could describe me as well! Except for "great strength" then... :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan