Bradford Tyrey books- Lion Bagua, Old masters, Sun Lu Tang,

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Bradford Tyrey books- Lion Bagua, Old masters, Sun Lu Tang,

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:17 am

some books I recently downloaded and plan to read. some titles looks really good. Brad lived in Beijing from 1984 to 1997.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyW ... yrey&type=

neijia_boxer

Re: Bradford Tyrey books- Lion Bagua, Old masters, Sun Lu Tang,

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:38 pm

He and Brinkman used to have a school together, I think?

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Also curious if that Lion Shape Bagua is anything like the Xie Pei Qi lineage's.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:09 am

When in Taiwan, he also studied at my teacher's school (Yijian Taijiquan). We did like each other, but lost contact.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Taijiquan shi: Taiji power enhancement by Xu Yu-sheng

this is a very very interesting read so far. Xu Yu-Sheng got to train with Yang Jian Hou, Yang shao hou, and Yang Chengfu.

Xu says that there was a 115 form that was performed that was difficult, it was difficult with jumps, spins, and other difficult sections strung together to total 115. Li Yuan-xuan inherited this form.
There was a 85 "Old yang family" form and a 71 form that Yang Jian hao taught closer to Chen Taiji in number. The book is more about the 71 form.

Hope you can explore this translation. Bradford lived in Beijing for 1983 to 1997 apparently and has met many great masters help him translate including Fu Zhong Wen.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... u-yusheng/

I took some time this morning looking at Brennan's translation of the same book, and the two books/translations are very very different.
Brennan's has the Chinese and the direct translation and Bradford does not have all of those chapters and goes in a completely different direction with the book and translation. Just reading the research Bradford did with various masters was enough for me.

I suggest anyone very serious in the study of Taijiquan should buy the ebook, (only 10 dollars) and add it to your Taiji library, I think you will find it an interesting read and you can decide for yourself if you like the work or not.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Matt:

What is interesting about I? The title - "Taiji Power Enhancement" - is certainly promising, but you only mention some old forms...

Also, it is Yang-specific, or non-denominational?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:00 am

Hi Andy,

Since you are a Chen practitioner, the Yang Taiji book might not float your boat, however the Old boxing masters book might interest everyone here. Good info on old practice methods, especially "Dim mak" training secrets. His other translations are from Baguazhang so those books might interest Baguazhang practitioners.

Matt
neijia_boxer

Postby muttaqi on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Bradford was already long 'in country' by the time I showed up in China. And unlike many of us that came and went as semi annual visitors over the years , he was a permanent fixture in the region for over a decade (and steady visitor thereafter) - earning the respect of many old guard internal stylists in a way few others were able to at that time.

Most people know of him as Madam Sun Jian-Yun's disciple - but he was also a long term student of Liu Xing-Han and Liang Ke-Quan; and in my mind - still the most knowledgable western source regarding their teachings. Whenever I have something I need to clarify with regards to my own studies in China (from teachers we shared) Bradford is always my go to guy.

Whatever one's internal style, I think most would find Bradford's translations quite illuminating. He spends a lot of time Investigating and uncovering what the old Chinese characters meant when the texts were written, as opposed to what they may mean now - and also has at his disposal much commentary and explanation from his teachers ( who were from the same Beijing inner circle so to speak) which he often brings forth to further back up and or expound upon points made by one of his other teachers. All in all - great stuff. A lot of hidden gems.
muttaqi
Mingjing

Postby Taste of Death on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Just downloaded "Old Chinese Boxing Masters" and greatly looking forward to reading it.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 am

Thank you Muttaqi! reading his books was def a real treat.
neijia_boxer

Postby lazyboxer on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:38 pm

shawnsegler wrote:Also curious if that Lion Shape Bagua is anything like the Xie Pei Qi lineage's.

Best,

S

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hJgWO9nYuMA

Nothing like, Shawn. More a la Jiang Rongqiao (Sha's main Bagua teacher).
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby piccolo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 am

Thank you for the link! I bought the Lion Bagua book, and subsequently most of the others after I saw the quality of the information.

The Lion Bagua book gave valuable insights into fragments of Dong Hai Chuan's teaching methods. The good thing about this book is it records the insights of Bagua's second / third generation practitioner's and they are very close to the source (ie. Dong). Given, the era those practitioners lived in carries with it harder to understand explanations that are harder to understand if you don't have the contextual experience to relate to them.

I am having a hard look at my own practice routine after reading these books. =)

Hey, does anyone know whether Bradford Tyrey has a website or email? Would like to thank him for sharing this valuable information.
Last edited by piccolo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
piccolo
Santi

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:50 pm

piccolo wrote:
Hey, does anyone know whether Bradford Tyrey has a website or email? Would like to thank him for sharing this valuable information.

I def would like to thank him for sharing so much too. He was Very lucky guy to have trained with folks like he has and accepted into their circle.
neijia_boxer

Postby Justin on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Brad Tyrey is a skillful guy and his text are definitely worth reading. I trained with him and was very close friend at one time.
Justin
Santi

Postby Fretjock on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Bradford is currently in Oklahoma City. If you want to get in touch with him give me a name and contact information and I will give it to him.
Fretjock
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan