Golden Bell - origin/purpose of the name?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Golden Bell - origin/purpose of the name?

Postby Ron Panunto on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 am

Tell that to the boxers (of the Boxer Rebellion).
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:43 am

there is the long line,
up front the heaven door, those, who try quality of their bulletproof vests :)
anyway
good level will protect vital points , but not against weapons dynamic cuts or stabs!
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Paul R on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi I'm a longtime lurker on here signed up just to post on this so here goes.
Golden bell is the name of the style/system and it would totally make sense if you understood the exercises and theory behind it. Studied in China and was introduced to a very high level master and a few of his disciples, trained on and off with them on extended visits. Most powerful qi gong I have studied by far. Very fast not 100 days training or many rules to it. It's just where you are up to with your training.
The golden part comes from the colour of the qi you will feel during the training. This is then used throughout the style.
The bell part comes from the exercises and hitting of the body you do. It's not small repetitive body conditioning. It's a lot of meditative focused breathing. Followed by an exercise such as "raising the bell" and " ringing the bell" amongst more. When the body is hit an exhalation of a noise corresponding to where you are upto in your training so far. The hardness and usage of the self hitting increases as you do in the system. See how a church bell would vibrate when you ring it that's a huge part of it.
then there is meditation after during which your encouraged to keep the qi you circulated and gathered.
hope this helps had to stop myself going into too much detail there.
Again this just what I learnt and more than happy to discuss.
Paul R
Santi

Postby wiesiek on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:25 am

Thank you Paul R,
it nicely explain the name,
would you be so kind, and add what reword you get after the "mastering " the practise?
I mean - is master able to take more, than just static pressure of the sharp objects ?
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby amor on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:29 am

Paul R wrote:Hi I'm a longtime lurker on here signed up just to post on this so here goes.
Golden bell is the name of the style/system and it would totally make sense if you understood the exercises and theory behind it. Studied in China and was introduced to a very high level master and a few of his disciples, trained on and off with them on extended visits. Most powerful qi gong I have studied by far. Very fast not 100 days training or many rules to it. It's just where you are up to with your training.
The golden part comes from the colour of the qi you will feel during the training. This is then used throughout the style.
The bell part comes from the exercises and hitting of the body you do. It's not small repetitive body conditioning. It's a lot of meditative focused breathing. Followed by an exercise such as "raising the bell" and " ringing the bell" amongst more. When the body is hit an exhalation of a noise corresponding to where you are upto in your training so far. The hardness and usage of the self hitting increases as you do in the system. See how a church bell would vibrate when you ring it that's a huge part of it.
then there is meditation after during which your encouraged to keep the qi you circulated and gathered.
hope this helps had to stop myself going into too much detail there.
Again this just what I learnt and more than happy to discuss.

Nice post, please do go into as much detail as you like and elaborate on the beginner, middle and advanced paths of this training if you are able - TIA.
amor
Wuji

Postby Paul R on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:26 pm

The beginning level consisted of learning the breathing that had to be used, standing meditation until qi is felt. Your taught how to move it with your breath, qi circulation etc. The exercises are quite strong intense and work very fast.
Then the iron shirt training commenced, the body is divided into specific areas (chest, stomach, Palm, throat, head etc) are conditioned by the practitioner during the breathing exercises. This isn't hard dynamic tension style conditioning either, it's totally soft relaxed and then sudden short explosive hitting or pressing of particular points.
Exercises are divided into sets. Exercises are performed 9 times per set and we would do 4 sets. This was 3 times per day morning noon and night. (9 x 4 x 3= 108). Meditation then follows. The methods learnt aren't anything like I've studied seen in any video book or article and very unique. For some of the exercises medicines were also used. Work was all 121 with sifu and lots of mental imagery and mind work is used. The main golden bell meditation exercise was always done at the end of every set of every body part and is the key part of the system.
Each body part would have levels and each level had a test. There was no extra exercises every time you passed one just however long you kept doing the exercises made it stronger and stronger. Learning body parts closer to previous ones made it even quicker and reinforces the other ones. This creates your golden bell cover.
Paul R
Santi

Postby edededed on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Sounds cool, Paul R! Was this taught as part of a fighting style (Shaolin, etc.)? And was the medicine externally applied, or did you take internally as well?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Paul R on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Medicine was externally and internally applied. some dit da jow was drunk in the mornings and also some of the exercises required apparatus. Iron Palm for example used 2 bags filled with different fillings depending on your advancement in training .dried beans and one medicine in the first. Iron shot and a different medicine on the second. The shot was soaked in a special dit da jow before medicine was applied. The same bags were also used when learning some of the head exercises.
The golden bell was not part of a style of kung fu that I seen it was taught stand alone however the sifu had a family style only taught to his disciples.
Paul R
Santi

Postby edededed on Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:20 pm

Sounds pretty cool, and the system sounds really comprehensive, thanks!

China is a weird place - you do get some rare "family styles" that are not found anywhere else, yet which seem to have interesting histories and characteristics nevertheless!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:16 am

Sounds like a combination of iron shirt and iron palm, i.e., defensive and offensive.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby palmslam on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:02 am

The video of the guys with no shirts are Brendan Tunks students from Australia . This is Body Conditioning exercises. It does toughen the body, but done easy at first, then increase striking with time. All this training requires Time and Energy. Then go onto the striking with bamboo, Bamboo with sand, etc. I trained with these folks in Qingdao, China and they train hard. You have to get a really good teacher that understands this. With most folks jobs , this training is hard to be dedicated to.

V/r
S. Manning
palmslam
Anjing

Postby Josealb on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 am

If i recall correctly, here is one practitioner of Golden Bell training, demonstrating his skill... ;D

Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:04 am

Josealb wrote:If i recall correctly, here is one practitioner of Golden Bell training, demonstrating his skill... ;D

Hahaha! Gary Clyman at his finest! Note the perverted pleasure of the bystanders in the background. ;) ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Don't get the point of the photo
Just looks like Chang doing a demo of water
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Clyman had said he could take a punch and Chang obliged. I remember the exchange of letters afterwards in Inside Kung fu magazine in [I think] the late 80s or early 90s. Supporters of Clyman claimed that it was a stirling example of Clyman going with the punch and not getting hurt; supporters of Chang said that Clyman was a fraud and couldn't take the punch.

I don't have a dog in that old fight, just reporting what I remember reading in the subsequent back-and-forth of letters on the editorial page of that magazine over several consecutive issues.

That's a nice looking uppercut/tzuan by Master Chang caught in a "Kodak Moment". I know who I would have wanted for a teacher in those days and his first name wasn't Gary.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan