Golden Bell - origin/purpose of the name?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Golden Bell - origin/purpose of the name?

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:24 am

Just randomly occurred to me I do not know why some Qi Gong methods have that name. Can someone please provide an explanation?

Also, are these the characters 金铃 ?

Thanks! :)
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: Golden Bell - origin/purpose of the name?

Postby Ron Panunto on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:05 am

Iron shirt.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 am

I know this is another name for Iron Shirt... Though some traditions hold the two as different (yet related) practices. But the Chinese tend to choose names for a reason. Why 'Golden' and 'Bell' in this context?
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:00 am

Having done some more research, the characters are ' 钟罩 ' which does not mean 'bell' but 'bell canopy'. This makes more sense.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:23 am

Hmm, what's the bell and what's the canopy?

Fwiw, I thought the bell idea contained the idea of something covering something (a gong, for ex), and that golden signified its quality and ability to do so. Afa the difference between it and "iron shirt," both carried the idea of protection, but iron shirt was considered "external" training (as in hardening the outside) as opposed to golden bell "internal" training. Someone with more experience can probably tell you more.
Last edited by Steve James on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:31 am

Steve James wrote:Hmm, what's the bell and what's the canopy?

金 - Gold.
铃 - (small) Bell.
钟 - apparently, also 'Bell'? Usually means cup/goblet. Perhaps does not carry the meaning of bell without the second character?
钟罩 - Bell Canopy. Perhaps not related to actual ringing bells but to the shape of a bell.

金钟罩氣功 - Golden Bell-Canopy Qi Gong.

If indeed that name should be 金钟罩氣功, which I believe it is in the Jook Lum mantis that I practice, then there is a big misunderstanding in English wherein the word 'bell' is used, since bells give the connotation of ringing, while it seems the original intent was to refer to a bell-like-shape and/or it's covering properties.
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 am

What is a bell canopy?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:16 am

wherein the word 'bell' is used, since bells give the connotation of ringing

Well, yeah, but golden bell doesn't seem to imply golden ringing in any way.

Anyway, got a picture of a canopy and learned something new. I never knew that the bell (part that rung) was called a canopy. So, if the bell shape is the canopy, the idea of protecting something inside remains the same. Taking out the word "bell" and replacing it with "canopy" could work. Then we'd have golden canopy. That wouldn't' explain "why" it was gold, or change its function in practice. I'm not sure there's a big western misunderstanding afa the function of golden bell training --because of the name.

Here's a brass bell canopy
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:28 am

jonathan.bluestein wrote:
Steve James wrote:Hmm, what's the bell and what's the canopy?

金 - Gold.
铃 - (small) Bell.
钟 - apparently, also 'Bell'? Usually means cup/goblet. Perhaps does not carry the meaning of bell without the second character?
钟罩 - Bell Canopy. Perhaps not related to actual ringing bells but to the shape of a bell.

金钟罩氣功 - Golden Bell-Canopy Qi Gong.

If indeed that name should be 金钟罩氣功, which I believe it is in the Jook Lum mantis that I practice, then there is a big misunderstanding in English wherein the word 'bell' is used, since bells give the connotation of ringing, while it seems the original intent was to refer to a bell-like-shape and/or it's covering properties.

There's a few ideas behind the meaning but the only one I can remember now is that it refers to the shape of the Chinese Bronze (or other copper alloy) Bells, that were of a gold color from the copper, which oxidized to a green color.

The shape is different and they need to be hit from the outside with some type of mallet. The shape kind of looks like the armor that covers a soldiers torso, and I believe the idea kind of comes from that and the striking of the mallet.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:53 am

The shape kind of looks like the armor that covers a soldiers torso, and I believe the idea kind of comes from that and the striking of the mallet.

Yeah, I think the idea is the same, a covering.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:50 am

Gold does not rot. And a bell has the basic shape of the torso of a human.

Remember the characters evolved from pictures.

Iron Body
Iron Vest
Copper Jacket

All names for training to take blows.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks folks. There are good answers 8-)
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Gold Bell cover/Shape (金钟罩 Zhongzhao) also has a connection to 罩门 Zhaomen (achilles heel/ chink in one's armor) which in fighting is the softer parts of body. Or making the weak vulnerable spots of your body stronger. Which could be 金钟 Gold Bell [to cover/ protect] 罩门 Vulnerable areas.

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:36 pm

I thought the term iron body was a colourful name that conjured up images of internal strength and a reflection of strengthening the bones. That was until I was instructed to build a training tool made from several metal plates.

So when I hear golden bell I have no idea what it means but I am tending to think there may possibly be a related training method that the name was derived from and that has gotten lost over time. Moreso because I think I have heard mention that the terms iron body and golden bell are more than a few hundred years old.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby sinkpoint on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 am

金 literally means metal in classic Chinese. So there's a double meaning there.
i.e the scripture found on bronze vessels is named 金文

钟 - tend to be large bells in temple court yards, they are generally cast bronze/iron, and are massive. Some are so big you can easily fit a person or two underneath them.

金钟罩 means as if a giant gold/metal bell covers the body. Because these massive bells are generally found in Buddhist temples, Chinese people intuitively understand the term with Buddhist connotations. A giant bell made of gold is also super impressive, and Buddhism loves gold.
sinkpoint
Anjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan