Fajin Training Methods

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Fajin Training Methods

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 am

I love how that's how you interpret my caution..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Ian on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:20 am

"The power generated is scary. Even when in a very passive state, the body will function the way it was trained and efficiently create the maximum damage. A month ago someone basically knocked themselves out on me as I was stepping forward and emitting a slight Anjin force. It was ridiculous, as my intent wasn't even there (OR was it subconsciously??)."

Maybe get better training partners? I don't know...
Ian

Postby RobP2 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30 am

MaartenSFS wrote:In my mind there is no way to safely hit your partners whilst learning these types of skills properly. Only after achieving it and learning timing and distance, Tingjin, can one begin to safely use Fajin with a partner. The power generated is scary. Even when in a very passive state, the body will function the way it was trained and efficiently create the maximum damage. A month ago someone basically knocked themselves out on me as I was stepping forward and emitting a slight Anjin force. It was ridiculous, as my intent wasn't even there (OR was it subconsciously??).

Therein lies a problem. I had a young guy once tell me he couldn't punch me as his teacher had told him "if you hit someone you may kill them". To be fair he took one of my punches, it seemed to come as a bit of a shock to him

With the right methods and training progression it is surprising how hard you can hit each other - and it quickly strips away any illusions you may have about being "deadly"
Last edited by RobP2 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:51 am

Exactly. As you say, with the right training PROGRESSION..
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:53 am

Ian wrote:"The power generated is scary. Even when in a very passive state, the body will function the way it was trained and efficiently create the maximum damage. A month ago someone basically knocked themselves out on me as I was stepping forward and emitting a slight Anjin force. It was ridiculous, as my intent wasn't even there (OR was it subconsciously??)."

Maybe get better training partners? I don't know...

That's a bit of an extreme example, but one should be able to spar with all sorts and not grievously injure them. A proper Fajin should penetrate right through their body and cause great damage therein.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:12 am

MaartenSFS wrote: A proper Fajin should penetrate right through their body and cause great damage therein.

Real penetrating strikes has IME very little to do with scary shaking internally qi-exploding fajin. And is, IME, best practiced on sturdy kicking protections held by a partner. Then you don't need to hold back and you can get some feedback as well.

Robs method otoh is excellent for a more realistic approach on sparring.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan