Five words of Liechtenauer

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Five words of Liechtenauer

Postby jaime_g on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 pm

jaime_g
Wuji

Re: Five words of Liechtenauer

Postby klonk on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:27 pm

My goodness! That is almost Asian in its tone.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm

The Liechtenauer system also features five master cuts, which seem to serve a similar purpose to the five elemental fists of Xing Yi:

"The Meisterhauwen are but five strikes, but their combination permits all cuts using either edge along the eight possible lines of attack. "
http://www.thearma.org/essays/mastercut ... PpM8PyUd8E
zrm
Huajing

Postby Teazer on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:38 am

Heh, zrm, that must be an old article. I looked at the pictures & recognized it was done by a guy I know - he left the ARMA group some time ago.

There is a similarity I can see between the master cuts and the Hsing-I strikes. They are specific techniques to use to regain the timing advantage by defending while threatening simultaneously. However they don't contain the same general application of power generation. They're also quite difficult to pull off dependably in free sparring unless the other person's a lot less competent (in which case lots of other things will also work!).

Leckuchner takes the 5 + 1 other strike for use in messers - one handed machete length blades, which is interesting to try, but again there are a lot of other important factors that control the outcome than whether or not you try to use these.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:24 pm

It's something I have noticed in several schools of historical fencing. There are things in some of the old systems that are more brilliant than practical--things that are fascinating examples of cleverness and, in my estimation, composed precisely because they show cleverness. I see this way back to I.33.

My own interest is historical military saber. If you watch the old manuals as they develop over time, they become more like each other than different, even across national boundaries, and emphasize directness and practicality. That is what happens when you are trying to train people mainly to survive.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:12 pm

then sabre duels not only for Klonk:
http://youtu.be/ngwpXdais4k
and
from the same "trilogy" story different casting.:
http://youtu.be/8Ujt1pb8Zjo
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby klonk on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:03 pm

There are enormous fencing mistakes in both videos. I suppose that is Hollywood for you, but in this case filmed, I would guess, in Łódź. The second video shows better fencing.

The most beautiful girl in the world lives in Łódź. She works in the film industry. She thinks I am an idiot.

It is generally a mistake to argue with an angry Polish woman, so I will concede the point. She owns a saber.
Last edited by klonk on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:38 am

:)
2nd was filmed 15 years after the 1st

Łódz is famous here from abundance of the attractive girls, it has very long history cloth-connected industry,
so
if you think : spinner -in Polisch - she has to be from the Ł., no another way... ;),
Movie school/industry is relativly new beast there.
Both are atract the woman , dough...
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Harvey on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:52 am

There is a similarity I can see between the master cuts and the Hsing-I strikes. They are specific techniques to use to regain the timing advantage by defending while threatening simultaneously. However they don't contain the same general application of power generation. They're also quite difficult to pull off dependably in free sparring unless the other person's a lot less competent (in which case lots of other things will also work!).

I would definitely agree there are great similarities and the power generation is subtly different but the planes of attack match up neatly. Zorn haw is clearly the final phase of Pi but with a push cut rather than a pull. Plough stance is almost Santo. I've recently been studying Joachim Meyer's spear/halberd plays and the similarities to Chinese spear is also frightening.

Most xingyi players with any weapon training but mostly in two handed sword could walk into a HEMA club, put on a jacket, helmet and gloves and equip themselves quite well in sparring. I took to it like a duck to water and the fencing masters would use me regularly as a sounding board for things like body mechanics or footwork that is all too likely missing from the codices and glosses.
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan