going to the ground--the legal consequences

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: going to the ground--the legal consequences

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 pm

GrahamB wrote:Fighting is precarious full stop - no need to bring the ground into it.

That author also has zero understanding that you can also control somebody on the ground without stomping their face, or being stomped.

This:
http://youtu.be/GJX9QnrZtfc

Sorry G, but I don't think this is the type of scenario being discussed here. Ryan Hall's posse was probably as important as his jits. The question is if he was alone and other people also attacked him what would have happened?

Yes, it is impressive and the ground happens and perhaps it is propaganda but I still think the original article makes some valid points worth thinking about.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:05 am

grzegorz wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Fighting is precarious full stop - no need to bring the ground into it.

That author also has zero understanding that you can also control somebody on the ground without stomping their face, or being stomped.

This:

Sorry G, but I don't think this is the type of scenario being discussed here. Ryan Hall's posse was probably as important as his jits. The question is if he was alone and other people also attacked him what would have happened?

Yes, it is impressive and the ground happens and perhaps it is propaganda but I still think the original article makes some valid points worth thinking about.

Yes, I agree that's not the scenario being discussed... but that's exactly my point! He presents a view of going to the ground in one particular type of situation, before rounding it off with generic advice that sounds like it applies to all situations, which is along the lines of "going to the ground means bad things happen".

I'm not saying the article doesn't make valid points, but it kind of annoys me that it talks about a specific situation and transposes that to generic advice - it's sloppy thinking.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby allen2saint on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:47 am

Hopefully most of us have some facility at controlling our emotions, even if just for the sake of combat efficiency, so that stomping on the face of a downed opponent out of anger wouldn't be an acceptable option anyway, right?

If I stun or momentarily drop the attacker that'splenty for me.
Last edited by allen2saint on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:26 am

I'm trying to imagine an anger management class for face-stompers.

Michael

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:42 pm

GrahamB wrote:
grzegorz wrote:

This:

Yes, I agree that's not the scenario being discussed... but that's exactly my point! He presents a view of going to the ground in one particular type of situation, before rounding it off with generic advice that sounds like it applies to all situations, which is along the lines of "going to the ground means bad things happen".

I'm not saying the article doesn't make valid points, but it kind of annoys me that it talks about a specific situation and transposes that to generic advice - it's sloppy thinking.

I see where you are coming from now. Yes I agree, denial or not it is a part of fighting and like knife fighting or any other style of fighting certain risks and consequences are involved.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:35 pm

RAIDERS!
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:58 pm

GrahamB wrote:I'm not saying the article doesn't make valid points, but it kind of annoys me that it talks about a specific situation and transposes that to generic advice - it's sloppy thinking.

It is sloppy, and it's shameful, really. Kind of like reading one article about a specific aspect of groundfighting and transposing that to an assumption that the author has no understanding of ground fighting.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Oooooh you bitch. :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby aiasthewall on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Good article.

JessOBrien wrote:Image
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIDERS!
Fuck the Seahags!

Think the Raiders will get 3 wins next season?

Pretty sure we are playoffs bound, again. :D

Go Hawks!
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby JessOBrien on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:41 am

Hahah, yeah we'll see how it goes. Picked up a new coach off your roster and your MVP linebacker, so hopefully they can bring some of that home to Oakland. Raiders VS Seahawks Superbowl 2015.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:02 pm

GrahamB wrote:Oooooh you bitch. :)

--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:04 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... thing.html

Brutal beating in Brooklyn McDonald's of a female student. I think this is what the original writer had in mind.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:01 pm

grzegorz wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2990448/Cowards-Video-footage-shows-student-mercilessly-beaten-gang-girls-McDonald-s-restaurant-large-crowd-simply-stands-does-nothing.html

Brutal beating in Brooklyn McDonald's of a female student. I think this is what the original writer had in mind.

Not really-- that video would only become relevant if charges were filed against the stomper. There are better examples, like the other thread where the fight went to the ground and a third party came up and started stabbing one of the original fighters.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Charges have been filed against the stomper. I actually prefer this one because this one was probably a street fight that got out of hand whereas the other was likely a planned murder attempt, probably a drug deal gone wrong.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Imo, the "legal consequences" (to the stomper) have nothing to do with being on the ground or not. There have been more recent cases of people being punched, falling, and dying from impact than of a person deliberately going to the ground. The "physical consequences" that come from being exposed on the ground are a different concern. In general, it's illegal to beat someone to death with one's bare hands, especially if that person is helpless. And in general, it's also illegal to kill or harm someone when it is not a case of self defense. The exceptions being sports events and training.

I do think that the more people there are who practice mma (or grappling), the more likely those types of encounters will occur. So, if you get into fights, it's more likely today than it was 30 years ago that the opponent will know how to grapple. Someone mentioned in this thread, iinm, that there were students at schools who would go out into the "real world" to practice. Imo, that's just assault and battery, even if they provoke the opponent to attack first. f
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan