Jinji Duli- try it for 5 minutes. (one leg standing)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Jinji Duli- try it for 5 minutes. (one leg standing)

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:41 am

Bao wrote:
neijia_boxer wrote:jijin du Li- golden rooster on one leg: is pretty intense as standing in Santi for a long time, but harder.

Maybe different, not harder. A perfect santi and mabu is IME and IMHO much harder to keep than golden rooster which is mainly a balance act. This because in the first two stances, you apply pressure against the muscles from several different direction, but Golden Rooster is much more one dimensional. Though, if you want to make it harder, stand in rooster for a few minutes or at least twelve breath. Then switch to "kick with heel" on the same leg without touching the foot on the ground and stand in the outstretched kicking position for as long period of time. Switch again a few times on the same leg, about a total of five-six minutes and then switch to the other leg. Golden rooster should point straight forward, Nose and index finger of front hand aligned with the centerline, the kick with heel should be turned out 45 degrees. Because you keep pressure, but activate different muscles, the effect on the standing leg will be similar to standing in santi or mabu.

Can you (or someone else) come up for just as many combative applications for Santi and Mabu as I did for Jinjing Duli?
neijia_boxer

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:10 am

neijia_boxer wrote:Can you (or someone else) come up for just as many combative applications for Santi and Mabu as I did for Jinjing Duli?

What does application has to do with gong practice? :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Funnily enough a week ago I mostly (70-80% apparently) severed my left Achilles

So for the past week my left foot has been in a cast, pointing the foot ballerina style, with orders to not put any weight at all on it (which reminds me I was going to ask the medicos on the board for any advice re. rehab)

While I cover longer distances on crutches, getting around at home I do a lot of hopping and standing on one leg

Certainly I haven't been raising the left leg as in golden rooster, but just spending extended periods of time wholly on the one leg is challenging..and I'd wager does good things for balance and stability
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Ralteria on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Having recovered (recovering) from a long time foot injury, just be sure to realign your sense of center when you are allowed to put full weight on it again. After several months of no walking I developed a very heavy one sided dependency that I was oblivious to for years. Your brain and body adjust to the new sense of center when off of one foot for a extended(long term recovery) period of time. Its taken a bit of work to shift everything back, both muscle and brain mapping wise.

Good luck in your recovery, Finny!
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Finny wrote:Funnily enough a week ago I mostly (70-80% apparently) severed my left Achilles

So for the past week my left foot has been in a cast, pointing the foot ballerina style, with orders to not put any weight at all on it (which reminds me I was going to ask the medicos on the board for any advice re. rehab)

While I cover longer distances on crutches, getting around at home I do a lot of hopping and standing on one leg

Certainly I haven't been raising the left leg as in golden rooster, but just spending extended periods of time wholly on the one leg is challenging..and I'd wager does good things for balance and stability

Yikes. That is pretty effing bad. And yes, having one foot to work with does challenge your balance system.

As you recover, and always, always consulting your therapy rehab people (who actually know more about the body than you or I, simply because they deal with traumatic injuries every damned day), consider what all this means to the other foot.

When they tell you that you can actually use the limb again, use it more and more. Never push it, always coax it. Yes I am still talking about standing and qigong here, but with the infantile minds on this board I feel I should say I am talking about your foot.

Ideally, you will get the same sensitivity and balance on one foot as the other. One foot slips? No matter, I have the other to work with.
Last edited by klonk on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby malinois on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:30 am

Ref Achilles injury.

Take Solomons seal
Acupuncture particularly stimulate Yang Ling Quan GB34
Use mind to visualise muscle use .
Bear weight as soon as possible and start balance/ proprioception work.
Work flexibility as soon as out of plaster.
Be sure to stretch both the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles.
Regular deep massage to break down scar tissue.
Best exercise I found for strength/muscle regrowth was negative calf raises.
(Hakan Alfredson's eccentric heel drop programme)
Walking down stairs was strange for a while.
I ruptured mine 100%. Took about 2 years to get back where I was completely

Best of luck. :)
malinois
Santi

Postby Ciccio on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:11 am

Ciao

Standing with one leg, i think this is more difficult

http://www.ashtangayoga.info/practice/p ... shthasana/

http://www.ashtangayoga.info/practice/p ... thasana-b/

http://www.ashtangayoga.info/practice/p ... hvasahita/

The last is the most difficult

http://www.ashtangayoga.info/practice/a ... durvasana/

To do a lot of hard mapu no help to do this figure.

Ciccio
Ciccio
Santi

Postby gasmaster on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:38 am

Can you (or someone else) come up for just as many combative applications for Santi and Mabu as I did for Jinjing Duli?

Everything in xing yi is santi, so yes, it has more combat application.
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks a lot guys - esp malinois, i appreciate the voice of experience

Its only been a week, but feels like it's healing well.. I'll certainly be back on the other foot asap, but slowly progress in terms of flexibility/load

Thanks again!
Finny
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:22 pm

gasmaster wrote:

Everything in xing yi is santi, so yes, it has more combat application.

Then Doesn't Jinji Duli also contain the "3 essences" same as San ti Shi? Taiji's rooster and Hsingyi's rooster both share many commonalities and same trinity structurally.
neijia_boxer

Postby gasmaster on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:29 am

Well, I guess I shouldn't paint with such a wide brush and instead say in the xingyi, as I am being taught...
my teacher has us doing both, but in my understanding, santi allows you to train the spirals in the legs, and creates the mold of the body for fighting beyond simply leg strength. It's the interrelationship that allows the body to fall into that position after every movement which will allow for the harmonies, etc. Like the old saying off by an inch, off by a mile. my teacher advocates adding weight to the body, and standing on tires as well to build that stability.
That having been said, this is just where I am in my understanding. I'm sure there are people that would disagree depending on their experiences, and the art they study.
gasmaster
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan