Jinji Duli- try it for 5 minutes. (one leg standing)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Jinji Duli- try it for 5 minutes. (one leg standing)

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:08 am

more from Bradford Tyrey on "Rooster stands on One Leg" interview with Sun Jian-Yu

http://polariswushu.net/blog/2015/03/13 ... ord-tyrey/
neijia_boxer

Re: Jinji Duli- try it for 5 minutes. (one leg standing)

Postby rojcewiczj on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:27 am

I think this is very interesting and leads me towards considering the depth of contemplation made possible by a sincere seeking out of the meaning within movements and postures. I think, as martial arts practitioners, its our responsibility to invest in the continuing search for meaning in the movements and postures we practice; not attempting to memorize the interpretations of the past, but discovering the depth of traditional understanding through on going searching. For instance, standing on one leg is by no means specific to a certain form of physical practice. It is a very natural sort of action which children often do just for fun. What is more rare, is to find adults who stand on one leg and apply there minds to contemplating the phenomenal reality of such an action.
rojcewiczj
Anjing

Postby charles on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 am

I think it's great to pursue these sorts of cultural, historical and philosophical meanings. But, they should not be confused with acquiring actual skills in the arts to which they are ascribed. The primary methods for acquiring those skills isn't via these sorts of pursuits. Academic knowledge doesn't necessarily translate into physical skills. It seems that too many these days believe one is the other.

One time, a student from another school was attending a seminar my teacher was giving on basic push hands. At the end of the seminar the student asked the teacher what the next steps are and if she should study the I Ching as the next step. My teacher replied that her time and effort would be better spent in studying human anatomy in preparation for joint locking and pressure point applications.
charles
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:55 am

thank you
I`m counting the breaths while in position, with little difference:
-thigh parallel to the ground ,calf vertical, palm on the centre- fingers nose high.,
next:
-liftin` the foot as high as I can /front and back /
total time is less than 5 m. for one leg, I think, have to measure the time, never did it before, only breaths counting.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:03 am

@charles
anatomy study has completely different purpose/meaning, than meditation in the position,
both
are the important !
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:17 am

"One leg standing" is a normal balance/proprioceptive tool in assessing degree of postural integrity and 'body sway' and it is generalized as opposed to being for one specific purpose only!
It is part of "standing posture taking" so no need to mystify beyond the usual ;D . I recall that Doc Fai Wong's major teacher had a set of postures utilizing standing on one leg for various purposes as part of jibengong, if I recall correctly.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:42 am

charles wrote:At the end of the seminar the student asked the teacher what the next steps are and if she should study the I Ching as the next step. My teacher replied that her time and effort would be better spent in studying human anatomy in preparation for joint locking and pressure point applications.

I have had at least two teachers who would recommend studying the Yijing (I Ching). In fact, it's my very strong opinion that most tai chi teachers would. So you are really up against the masses! :D

;D

:-\

:-[

........ 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:35 pm

I prefer to practice golden rooster while lying with my back on the ground. Much more health benefits.

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 pm

For benefits gained for time invested, one footed standing is the most profitable MA training I do.

The word study in the article was sorta interesting, but I would say that standing practice is self explanatory once you have some general frame of reference to understand what it is doing to you.
Last edited by klonk on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Looks like a flying kick to me...

Last edited by Bao on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:50 pm

jijin du Li- golden rooster on one leg: is pretty intense as standing in Santi for a long time, but harder.

In the Wu style tradition, Master Ma passed down a story that, when Quan Yu,( Wu Jian Quan's father) asked to study with Yang Lu Chan, he was told he would only begin teaching him when he could hold ' Rooster on one Leg ' for an hour on each side. Cheng man ching's school in NYC you had to hold it for at least 5 minutes to join push hands class.

It has a ton of applications/usage:
-downward elbow spike.
-upward elbow strike.
-Knee "kao" bump/strike.
-balance for maintaining your axis. (balance critical in executing throws properly).
-balance critical in the event your leg gets catched when kicking.
-as a kick check.
-upward parry
-upward palm strike with heel of hand or uppercut.
-forearm block/covering body/ribs and head.
-Pai jia or front slap kick.

Last edited by neijia_boxer on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby wiesiek on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Have to
remind You :
U forget add about health benefit! :)

Graham lying version reserved for practise with GF`s only -cheer-
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:17 am

neijia_boxer wrote:jijin du Li- golden rooster on one leg: is pretty intense as standing in Santi for a long time, but harder.

In the Wu style tradition, Master Ma passed down a story that, when Quan Yu,( Wu Jian Quan's father) asked to study with Yang Lu Chan, he was told he would only begin teaching him when he could hold ' Rooster on one Leg ' for an hour on each side.

You mixed something up here. It's a story amongst Wu people from Beijing, who say that Wang Maozhai, grandteacher of Wang Peisheng, had to perfect this posture for three years in order to be accepted as a student by Quanyou.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:52 am

cdobe wrote:
neijia_boxer wrote:jijin du Li- golden rooster on one leg: is pretty intense as standing in Santi for a long time, but harder.

In the Wu style tradition, Master Ma passed down a story that, when Quan Yu,( Wu Jian Quan's father) asked to study with Yang Lu Chan, he was told he would only begin teaching him when he could hold ' Rooster on one Leg ' for an hour on each side.

You mixed something up here. It's a story amongst Wu people from Beijing, who say that Wang Maozhai, grandteacher of Wang Peisheng, had to perfect this posture for three years in order to be accepted as a student by Quanyou.

Not confused. It comes from training in Shanghai. The Maozhai story is a great one, but different.
neijia_boxer

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 am

Maybe different, not harder. A perfect santi and mabu is IME and IMHO much harder to keep than golden rooster which is mainly a balance act. This because in the first two stances, you apply pressure against the muscles from several different direction, but Golden Rooster is much more one dimensional. Though, if you want to make it harder, stand in rooster for a few minutes or at least twelve breath. Then switch to "kick with heel" on the same leg without touching the foot on the ground and stand in the outstretched kicking position for as long period of time. Switch again a few times on the same leg, about a total of five-six minutes and then switch to the other leg. Golden rooster should point straight forward, Nose and index finger of front hand aligned with the centerline, the kick with heel should be turned out 45 degrees. Because you keep pressure, but activate different muscles, the effect on the standing leg will be similar to standing in santi or mabu.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan