Western fencing manuals

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Western fencing manuals

Postby klonk on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Big collection of online copies of historical swordsmanship manuals.

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=25

Last edited by klonk on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Western fencing manuals

Postby KEND on Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:27 am

Interesting stuff. I particularly liked the Bayeux Tapestry account of the events leading up to 1066
KEND
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 am

KEND wrote:Interesting stuff. I particularly liked the Bayeux Tapestry account of the events leading up to 1066

You can also glean a little about weapons and fighting of the era from the Bayeux Tapestry, but bearing in mind that it is an artist's impression. Same benefits and problems as manuscript illuminations, in that way.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby HunYuan on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Thank you Klonk...Great resources there
HunYuan
Santi

Postby Harvey on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:49 am

One real problem with any illumination is they were occasionally drawn from a stencil set which were hugely anatomically incorrect. Another issue is they rarely discuss body mechanics outside of 'Roll the hips forward'. It was a assumed you could stand and fight from Ringen or unfedered combat, plus since most knights or squires would ride horses on a regular basis, it was the middle ages after all, and would learn how to use the legs from riding. There are some in the HEMA community who advocate the hollow back stance from the illuminations but it is falling from favour as competitive results show otherwise.
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 am

Great find! Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby klonk on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:30 pm

Western fencing informs my thinking about martial arts in general: particularly the Western categorization of moves and the analysis. It seems (to my Western mind untutored in subtleties) a more informative approach than calling things by four words or one in Chinese.

For example: a complete analysis of "prise de fer" (take hold of the other fellow's blade) with a whole chapter about it seems more informative than some Chinaman's one word advice that I "stick."

As a result I think of an outward ward off as tierce and roll back as quarte. Wrong? Right?
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:11 pm

klonk wrote:Western fencing informs my thinking about martial arts in general: particularly the Western categorization of moves and the analysis. It seems (to my Western mind untutored in subtleties) a more informative approach than calling things by four words or one in Chinese.

For example: a complete analysis of "prise de fer" (take hold of the other fellow's blade) with a whole chapter about it seems more informative than some Chinaman's one word advice that I "stick."

As a result I think of an outward ward off as tierce and roll back as quarte. Wrong? Right?

Right!

IMO Chinese text, the "scholarly interpretation" often goes wide of the mark due to the Chinese language itself. AND the fact that many of them were written for very advanced practitioners. To me.... whenever I "have" looked into a Chinese text, it looks transcribed or rewritten by a literate scholar totally not familiar with any martial culture. This is especially true with Chinese martial texts that were/are translated into English..

In the west... (I'm much more in the know with western fencing arts) a lot of the knowledge gained from authentic manuals is taken out of the context that it was written in.

Take the picture/text above. At no time in that era was buckler and sword the staple of the day. (as far as sword play goes...) was the manual written in a sporting context? Or was buckler depicted to better show technique (shield placement, body positioning, various cuts, various parries etc...) what context the author doesn't say...... (I have an actual copy with a full English translation)

Same goes for later period manuals that show a lot of grappling... were they written in a sporting context? Were they written for the duelist to better gain one on one skills... Eye witness accounts show warfare being very small on grappling. Armies in those day lined up in opposing ranks, maintained those ranks and used formalized group tactics.. void of one on one grappling... We know from eye witness accounts that the sword in late periods wasn't used much on the field of battle... yet a lot of later period manuals are written to instruct someone in the sword. Were these manuals designed to instruct nobles in a similar way Ivy league collage kids learn to fence?

What is the context?
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 am

It's a funny thing about I.33, the manual from which the picture was taken. I have suggested (and few have agreed) that some of the material, at least, is clever for cleverness' own sake. It shows intricacies and timing niceties that would be difficult to pull off in a real clang-and-bang. In any case there are simpler ways of doing business.

An example of what I mean is I.33's trick of switching off to use the buckler to control the opposing sword, freeing your own sword to use as you will. While this is an excellent idea its application can be challenging in some circumstances. Simpler: Use your shield to protect your target and cut in counter-time.

One may form a guess that the author's idea is to offer up some showy points of swordsmanship, to delight people who like such things, rather than to offer a street survival manual.

Of course a perfect counter-argument to any conjecture that I may offer is that I wasn't there, but then that rather begs the question, doesn't it?

Late era saber manuals intended to train soldiers are my favorites because there is no question about the intent. Even so there were some eccentric books:

http://shootery.blogspot.com/2013/07/si ... s-new.html

So maybe what I should say is that I like manuals intended for training soldiers that were used effectively to do so.
Last edited by klonk on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue May 05, 2015 4:27 am

in case if you miss it , Klonk
~there is more of this guy on the line

https://youtu.be/vwuQPfvSSlo
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue May 05, 2015 6:34 am

wiesiek wrote:in case if you miss it , Klonk
~there is more of this guy on the line

https://youtu.be/vwuQPfvSSlo

I enjoy that guy's YouTube videos. I do not agree with him on every point, but apparently no one interested in historical fencing is in full agreement with anyone else. :D
klonk
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan