Dantian Power

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Dantian Power

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:31 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
littlepanda wrote:I've noticed that in many chen style taiji, knees moving out-of-line w.r.t. toes is quite common. Won't this lead to loss of stability if not power?
At the same time you don't see this in videos of li chugong and chen yu.

Forgive my ignorance but what does " w.r.t. toes" mean?

As for Chen Taiji and the knees, I don't practice it. And these days I can't stand to watch videos of any style of Taijiquan form. I just don't have the patience.

wrt = with respect to?
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
D_Glenn wrote:
littlepanda wrote:I've noticed that in many chen style taiji, knees moving out-of-line w.r.t. toes is quite common. Won't this lead to loss of stability if not power?
At the same time you don't see this in videos of li chugong and chen yu.

Forgive my ignorance but what does " w.r.t. toes" mean?

As for Chen Taiji and the knees, I don't practice it. And these days I can't stand to watch videos of any style of Taijiquan form. I just don't have the patience.

wrt = with respect to?

b.j.i.t.y.g.i

By Jove, I think you got it!

Thanks
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:54 am

Bodywork wrote:Dantien and Dantien rotation.
Place your hands on the front and back of any practitioner, anywhere. If you cannot feel tissue, real and whole, going up and down, left and right under your hands? Than that person has no dantien or Dantien rotation.
Place you hands on their upper back. Macro cosmic orbit is real.... riii....ight? So you should feel their tissue moving under your hands..... riii...ight?
The tendon meridians are real and whole and impart strength and support, riiiii...ight? So you should feel unusual power and stability... riii...ight?

On the first part, have you felt someone's Dantian, where you place the palm of your hand around CV4 to CV6 point below the navel, then they can bring a knot about the size of their thumb to slightly bulge against your palm and rotate their dantian on both axles whilst their outstretched arm is moving in circle, and the knot also draws small circles around your palm with the knot corresponding to the same movement of the arm?

If you have a dantian and can rotate it around you can feel like the beginnings of this moving around, but apparently it takes specific practice to get the knot to gather up.

On the second part, how do you define the Macro cosmic orbit (Da Zhou Tian)?

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:15 am

On page 18 of the DOUBLE ISSUE Summer/Fall 2014 of Deep Water Magazine, Kevin Wallbridge wrote an article about George Xu’s, “The Twelve Stages of Dantian.” Although IMO, the depth of the article was lacking.

A pdf is available FREE by clicking this link, http://www.deepwatermagazine.com/
marvin8
Wuji

Postby charles on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:59 pm

marvin8 wrote:On page 18 of the DOUBLE ISSUE Summer/Fall 2014 of Deep Water Magazine, Kevin Wallbridge wrote an article about George Xu’s, “The Twelve Stages of Dantian.” Although IMO, the depth of the article was lacking.

A pdf is available FREE by clicking this link, http://www.deepwatermagazine.com/

I'm not sure of what value it is to have mentioned this, given, as you say, "the depth of the article was lacking". I found it to be a waste of time, with no functional information. That sort of writing is everywhere and does not progress those who read it.

I was reluctant to provide the magazine my name and e-mail address, a requirement to access the free issue.
charles
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:19 pm

charles wrote:
marvin8 wrote:I'm not sure of what value it is to have mentioned this, given, as you say, "the depth of the article was lacking". I found it to be a waste of time, with no functional information. That sort of writing is everywhere and does not progress those who read it.

I was reluctant to provide the magazine my name and e-mail address, a requirement to access the free issue.

I see you share the same opinion.
Sorry, the same article can be found here, https://crankydaoist.wordpress.com/tag/george-xu/.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:02 pm

D_Glenn wrote:have you felt someone's Dantian, where you place the palm of your hand around CV4 to CV6 point below the navel, then they can bring a knot about the size of their thumb to slightly bulge against your palm and rotate their dantian on both axles whilst their outstretched arm is moving in circle, and the knot also draws small circles around your palm with the knot corresponding to the same movement of the arm?

I felt something like that on Liang Shouyu about 15 years ago, he did it without the arm -- felt like a stone the size/shape of half-a-tennis-ball had its flat side polished/lubricated and it was sliding with ease on a side of a concrete wall (no give there). Quite bizarre. I vaguely recall him saying that "wasn't dantien" though. IIRC...

FWIW, and sorry to interject.
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:22 am

This you can feel through layers of clothing but is or represents another level a Dantian rotation and control.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan