Current favourite Drill/practice

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Current favourite Drill/practice

Postby Ba-men on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:27 am

Lately
Harness the phoenix with hands (Jia luan shou )

It's multiple combination.
Done with machine precision.. with the focus on the striking as water (i.e target is the opening the opponent gives you not pre-selected... just as water flow through the cracks of a dam)

Left foot forward/clear with left hand : Pi Quan with right
Step with right foot/ clear with left hand: Bei Quan with right
Step with left foot/ clear with left hand: Guan Quan with right
Step with right foot/clear with left hand: Chao quan with right
Reverse

Then I usually will practice it backing up/turning left & right etc..
prefixing it with some form of kick(to bridge) completing it with a sweep/reap, throw etc...

just a drill I do
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Ba-men on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:28 am

kenneth fish wrote:Black and Decker. To the kneecaps.

Nice! +1
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:43 am

:)
sorry D_G, sadly, can`t contribute my 'contextualizing' to this thread
`cause recently, I practise alone, most of the time, (:

btw, solo training is the best thing which TCMA has to offer.
but,
I`ve been training with the partners all the time, until I started Chinese staff .
so ,
Considering polishing of the "throwing ability " -
I liked kinda of the "free sparring" w/o the hard counters.
You simply easy change the sides - , : from uke to -tori > and in reverse.
If you partner finds the opportunity to execute the throw - you allow him to do it , only with little resistance.
You need similar or higher level partner to go smoothly .
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:41 am

wiesiek wrote::)
sorry D_G, sadly, can`t contribute my 'contextualizing' to this thread
`cause recently, I practise alone, most of the time, (:

btw, solo training is the best thing which TCMA has to offer.
but,
I`ve been training with the partners all the time, until I started Chinese staff .
so ,
Considering polishing of the "throwing ability " -
I liked kinda of the "free sparring" w/o the hard counters.
You simply easy change the sides - , : from uke to -tori > and in reverse.
If you partner finds the opportunity to execute the throw - you allow him to do it , only with little resistance.
You need similar or higher level partner to go smoothly .

What you describe is a great way to practice. When I was a kid and training for my first shuai jiao tournament we did a lot of that kind of practice.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:48 am

Me and a friend are currently inventing BJJ moves and naming them after Sons of Anarchy catchphrases - so far we have Mr Mayhem, Charming Town and The Grim Sweeper.

Yes, we are 5 years old.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dave T on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Working a lot of Joint Locking lately. A few drills we have been doing -

Lock Flow, One Sided - I lock my partner, he neutralizes the lock by going with the energy or changing the angle, from his new position, I lock him again, etc etc

Lock Flow, Back and Forth - I lock my partner, he neutralizes in the same way as before and then, from our new position, he locks me, I neutralize and lock him, etc

Three Step Sparring Aggressive Lock Flow - I attack my partner with three hand techniques, after my third technique I lock him, he neutralizes the lock and attacks me with three hand techniques and then locks me.

Three Step Sparring Defensive Lock Flow - My partner attacks me with three hand techniques, I apply a joint lock to him off of his third hand technique. He neutralizes the lock, then I attack him with three hand techniques etc

The first two drills are a great way to learn to see the "gift" for joint locking - ie, what type of joint locks does your partner's position allow you to apply. The second two are a fun way to practice flowing between striking and locking.
Dave T
Santi

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:45 pm

In all seriousness, I concentrate with my students on speed drills, slipping, and hand substitution/strike drills. We build up to incorporate evasive body movement and stepping.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:01 am

I like Ken's response - evasive body movement and stepping. It's a major part of my own ethos.

I do different drills every time I take a class because the students there (admittedly I only have about 4 students :) ) all have different needs.

I usually work with a training partner who has 4 inches in height on me and about 15-20kg (30-40lbs) on me he's also a police officer and experienced martial artist and likes to fight so he's a handful to say the least, we've had a few hairy moments, broken noses etc. Recently we've been working on transitions from disengaged to engaged situations. We found that if we land a good shot the other guy is pretty much done, but if the shot is not so great or gets glanced off, blocked whatever then we find it difficult to continue to press the advantage (partly due to the fact we sense we are vulnerable to counter and don't want to end up with more broken noses!).

I came up with the idea of starting in a slightly disengaged position and one person begins at disadvantage, they allow the other person to take a position and land a strike (reduced power) they then have to respond to try to defend whilst the aggressor tries to continue to attack without just walking into a strike. The drill ends when the attacker cannot press the advantage further. The only rules are that the defender must allow the first hit to land and affect them and both persons should not look to disengage. The drill usually lasts about 5-10 seconds and you can repeat the same starting points or switch each time.

My solo practice is made up almost entirely of what we call Yan Yi and is basically free flowing movement with xing yi movements and structures embedded within the free movement model. I'm also getting back into stance holding training which I feel is secondary to combative work but does provide good foundation and body conditioning which does help combative work but is not necessarily essential to fighting.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Rabbit on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:06 am

GrahamB wrote:Come on people, let's keep it "intellectually honest", ah, I remember the days of the McKinley-isms.... ;D

Straw man .....

or is it the 'Bistro' error?

Can never remember
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby fuga on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:51 am

My favorite two-person drill is a stick fighting "crashing the guard" drill.

It basically begins with a strike that leads to a clinch, and from there, we cycle through a variety of take down options. I like it since it moves through a variety of ranges and because of the flow to find the most efficient take down.
fuga
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan