Early 20th Century Chinese Military Martial Arts

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Early 20th Century Chinese Military Martial Arts

Postby willie on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42 pm

This is a quite interesting and inspiring thread.
I have some questions as well.
I have built a pretty casual relationship with the owners of a very nice Chinese restaurant.
Before the owner came over to the states, He worked as a shore-man in the shipping lanes.
He and his friends would practice martial arts while on the docks.
He says that nearly no one in China believes in taiji as a fighting art. It's looked at as only an exercise.
He was taught taekwondo for fighting...The reason being is that taekwondo could be used immediately.
He also said that, "very little, if not none" of the internal martial arts were practiced in the military.
So although I've found this thread inspiring, I have to question the validity.
Last edited by willie on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:59 pm

willie wrote:This is a quite interesting and inspiring thread.
I have some questions as well.
I have built a pretty casual relationship with the owners of a very nice Chinese restaurant.
Before the owner came over to the states, He worked as a shore-man in the shipping lanes.
He and his friends would practice martial arts while on the docks.
He says that nearly no one in China believes in taiji as a fighting art. It's looked at as only an exercise.
He was taught taekwondo for fighting...The reason being is that taekwondo could be used immediately.
He also said that, "very little, if not none" of the internal martial arts were practiced in the military.
So although I've found this thread inspiring, I have to question the validity.

My XYQ teacher in China has studied that BGZ since childhood, he said he could continue his martial arts studies when he was in the army and there he was also introduced to 'western' boxing and sanda, he is 63yrs young now so it seem that during his army days there was some TCMA available in the Chinese army. Yes today in China it is TKD for kids and ThaiBoxing/Sanda/MMA that interest the young who want to learn hand to hand combat. Tongbeiquan is a TCMA (manly in north China)that quickly teach power generation and foster the fighter mindset , many old timers in Dalian "underworld" have skills in this CMA.
Trick
Wuji

Postby willie on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Trick wrote:My XYQ teacher in China has studied that BGZ since childhood, he said he could continue his martial arts studies when he was in the army and there he was also introduced to 'western' boxing and sanda, he is 63yrs young now so it seem that during his army days there was some TCMA available in the Chinese army. Yes today in China it is TKD for kids and ThaiBoxing/Sanda/MMA that interest the young who want to learn hand to hand combat. Tongbeiquan is a TCMA (manly in north China)that quickly teach power generation and foster the fighter mindset , many old timers in Dalian "underworld" have skills in this CMA.

Yes, He said that he was also taught western boxing. I'm sure that there are military men who enjoy internal arts, But I don't think that they
are part of the military system. I could very well be wrong, But that is what he said.
willie
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:43 am

Taiwan has done a great job in dismantling CMA to form a police/military practical CQB in the restraint domain
There is even a changquan type (don't recall the name) routine fist to capture elements of cheena (say cheese, nah)
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan