Is Wing Chun completely useless in an MMA setting?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Is Wing Chun completely useless in an MMA setting?

Postby Josealb on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:12 pm

I think regardless of what system you train in, fighting and sparring is what completes it. Guy X does taiji, spars and grapples on the ground, finds himself in trouble and in new territory. All of a sudden, its not new territory anymore, because he finds it every time he spars, and takes the feedback back to his taiji training, if he has half a brain. Identifies what to train in to polish the motor skills needed for the territory he wants to be better at. The taiji training then becomes useful for this or that type of thing. This has been my experience. Its rather easy to do as well, i dont think theres anything special to it, and im also sure others do it this way. I would rather do this, that automatically think i need to study another art so i can learn how to handle it.

Bottom line is: You want your art to be complete and useful in all scenarios? Then use it in all scenarios, see what happens, and adjust the training accordingly. If you dont use it, all you will ever do is argue on the internet.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan