What are the most potent ways to create explosive power?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What are the most potent ways to create explosive power?

Postby Ian on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:09 pm

All biomechanical tips, and nothing on how to use your mind. Hm.
Ian

Postby yeniseri on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Since I am "old", have some illusory vision of my own inept skill and being a CMA adept of some kind, explosive power is for the younger guys with the physique to exhibit and project that power.
That being said, the best "mind essence" ??? is to stay away from guns and trouble while using the power of the other to create that explosive stuff. Other than habichuelas (the red kind of beans) it is often duplicated and rarely exhibited. In the same vein of tuishou, aikido and other conceptual stuff, use the others projection, move in or out, then allow emptiness to take place.

I am still working on that level of skill! Amen
Last edited by yeniseri on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby I am... on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:55 am

There is explosive power that one can get reasonably quickly if trained correctly as a younger person, but that type of power disappears leading into middle age.

There is explosive power that one can get through more difficult to grasp body training, and that power may still diminish but is much slower to go and can produce as much or more result as the other type mentioned above.

In the end it is up to the fighter/athlete what they choose to train and how far they take it. Both are forces to be reckoned with if done properly.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:35 pm

collecting not emitting for pleasure
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:01 am

Set aside internal vs. external, technique vs. IP, style, the fact that it's a sales promo, etc. -- I think this guy's videos are an excellent example of progressive practice clearly explained to develop a given skillset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6pehfH5FQ

Some things he shows are basic technique, some are real keys to what many would consider higher level internal skills, all of it is taught well and shown clearly and freely. I believe that if you want "the goods" it comes from a variety of methods practiced with educational rigor. To tie it back to the OP, power is work divided by time. The greatest power often comes not from the most force, but from a smaller force applied more efficiently that gets more work done. When someone answers "what's the best method for developing explosive power?" with "Practice", it's not as snarky as it may seem.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Aqui on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Just saw this Xing Yi video, the exercise looks like a nice way to create XY specific explosive power

https://www.facebook.com/hamid.hadjsaid.3/videos/10205868365096017/
Aqui
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Captain I notice you give your background as kyokashin
Hasn't that got methods as I see you don't list it as one of the ways
I am sure my friend Cameron Quinn would disagree
The best kyokashin fighters use takki ken to develop exploding power
I am sure that would be a good place to start
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:41 pm

You list in the OP various power generation techniques. To my mind, identifying what "engine" your art uses is critical and is a good question to ask on Day One. Karate boxing and some southern CMA use similar engines - torque and hip rotation. IMA use a different format (which we endlessly discuss here - look at some of D Glenn's posts for good detail on theory and practice). Hakka-based southern CMA use a different format again.

In terms of collateral exercise, as mentioned: Powerlifting develops explosive force. So too does sprinting. So too do certain calisthenics - notably plyometric versions.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan