What are the most potent ways to create explosive power?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Postby captainhindsight on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Here is an example answer for what I mean......

1) Basic Hip rotation like in muay thai

2) Using gravity to create momentum like in tai chi push hands or jack dempseys drop step punch

3) Using relaxation like in systema or tai chi

4) Using leg drive like in a boxing punch

5) Using proper skeletal alignment like tucking the tail bone in, in tai chi etc

Now obviously these arnt the top 5 most effective ways to create power in all the martial arts but its just an example answer that I want you to improve on if you can.

Good luck and kind regards to all!
Last edited by captainhindsight on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
captainhindsight

Re: What are the most potent ways to create explosive power?

Postby Dmitri on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 pm

So far nuclear fission/fusion combo holds the top spot, AFAIK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

On a more serious note -- the kind of work any good bodybuilder focusing on anaerobic exercises does would probably fit the bill. You don't need martial arts for "explosive power".

As a (more serious yet) side note -- I don't see much difference between 1 and 4; and I disagree that tai chi uses gravity or relaxation to create power (2 and 3). Item 5 is a good attribute, but only really needed at the beginning of training, and is only one of the several components that aide in "creation of explosive power".

The real answers would take a LOT of typing, and it's been done here so many times in so many different ways by so many people of varying abilities and approaches... It is basically BTDT.

Good luck

Thanks, I think this thread is gonna need a lot of it! ;D

P.S. Your background only mentions "karate/kyokushin", yet you mention Tai Chi, Systema, Muay Thai, etc. Any experience in actually practicing any of those arts? Just curious.
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:14 pm

I use fusion power, that's why I eat beans.

Body builders dont really develop explosive power. A power lifter would be a better example. Which would have good carry over to martial arts.

Explosive power really comes from a combination of things. Coordination is probably the most important. Regardless of the styles specific power mechanism if you can't coordinate the body you won't be able to deliver it. I think this is one area where internal arts give an advantage due to their focus on what your own body is doing. Increased awareness allows you to feel and correct your movements.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:19 pm

...6) Catch your opponent running towards you by merely lifting up your fist. ... i.e. "timing".

Well... maybe not explosive, depending on how explosive your opponent is moving or not, but still many good knock-outs in the ring have been achieved this way. Sometimes "good timing" or just "timing by accident" is just as good or even more effective as "explosive body movement".
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:30 pm

DeusTrismegistus wrote:Body builders dont really develop explosive power. A power lifter would be a better example.

I stand corrected!
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Most methods actually seem to work pretty well-- I think the trick is to pick one (presumably whichever fits the art you train) and practice the heck out of it.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby captainhindsight on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:43 pm

can any1 answer this, or is this forum just for trolls? any serious posters will be appreciated! You wont ruin their fun, they arnt very effective anyway! :)
Last edited by captainhindsight on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
captainhindsight

Postby Bhassler on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Hey there, Captain,

Read around for a bit and see what's already been said about power generation on the forum, then come back and in Hindsight decide who's trolling or not.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby captainhindsight on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Bao wrote:...6) Catch your opponent running towards you by merely lifting up your fist. ... i.e. "timing".

Well... maybe not explosive, depending on how explosive your opponent is moving or not, but still many good knock-outs in the ring have been achieved this way. Sometimes "good timing" or just "timing by accident" is just as good or even more effective as "explosive body movement".

thats a good answer thanks mate :)
captainhindsight

Postby dspyrido on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Start with what are the sources of power involved in motion. List them. Then ask how are they used. Then ask how do you develop them.

Most people start with limb oriented training (use you arm to do x) & ends up being the sign of the perpetual beginner.

For real power start with the foundation and build. The legs are inadvertently the strongest large movement structure so learning to punch, elbow, head butt etc. with the legs in an explosive way is vital. To do this you need the hips the spine, arms all to coordinate together with them.

Roll forward a few years and then it is about coordinating the greatest load bearing part if the body into the striking - the torso. At the root its the deeper muscles that underpin this.

Knowing the sources, the coordination what is left is developing them. This is the real secret - damn boring mind numbing repetition, tuning, tweaking in the effort to tune and boost the body's strength.

Then on top of it is how can it be applied. Timing, angles, leverage etc.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:17 pm

C4
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:06 pm

captainhindsight wrote:can any1 answer this, or is this forum just for trolls? any serious posters will be appreciated! You wont ruin their fun, they arnt very effective anyway! :)

I answered and you completely ignored it. I asked you a legitimate question, and you ignored that as well. A promising start! ::)

...and what Bhassler said.
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Last edited by klonk on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Dmitri wrote:
DeusTrismegistus wrote:Body builders dont really develop explosive power. A power lifter would be a better example.

I stand connected!

Fixed that. Glad to help. :D
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby JoeWood on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Stress testing with a semi-compliant (working your way up to a non-compliant partner) is one of the most potent ways to create explosive power.
Last edited by JoeWood on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeWood
Anjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan