Fa-jin w/foot stomping

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Fa-jin w/foot stomping

Postby Ba-men on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 am

Who here has been doing TCMA for about 25+ years and has a form where one stomps when fa-jin? (during certain movements.. applications)
I now tend to get plantar fasciitis rather easily... (I wonder if 25+ yrs of doing that has anything to do with it?)

Anyone having the same trouble in there late 40's early 50's with the same background??
Ba-men
Wuji

Re: Fa-jin w/foot stomping

Postby mrtoes on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:17 am

Not that old but when I started hsing i I was taught to drop the weight heavily (stomp) when doing beng chuan and it inflamed my achilles tendon and gave me stiff ankles. I now no longer use this method for generating power and the problem has gone away (and I hit harder which is a nice bonus)

Of course, we might be referring to different things.

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:01 pm

At the risk of sounding like captain bring-down, that is the result of dropping your weight into the stomp - which is wrong. The stomp should be sharp, percussive, but without a weight drop - properly done someone standing 5 to 10 feet away should feel the percussion through the ground in their feet.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:52 pm

I learned the rudiments of xingyi [five elements] from an expert who stamped and practising outside with him you could feel the vibrations in the ground when he did so. I spent some time trying to do the same thing inside on a concrete floor and eventually ended up with the kind of foot problems described above. Exercise therapy and "special" insoles though it was a trial for many months.

Twnety-five years later I still practise some xingyi linking sets and don't stamp anymore unless the move is meant to be a stamping action as in "crush the instep". I also tend to agree with experts I have met like Tim Cartmell who say that stamping when doing the elements is a mis-application of the forces generated by the five elements.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:29 pm

I dont recommend foot stomping where the entire mass is launched into the ground like someone is trying to stamp uncontrollably (like trying to kick the ground). It can lead to damage. The same also can happen from lunging like in a long jab or fencing. Over time the uncontrolled launch for speed or power damages the heel.

The proper form that has worked for me is - the toes pull back, the heel skims slightly above the groud, the foot is placed heel first and the mass transfers with a push pull from both legs. On pressing the toes grip (visualising talons). It might look the same but the name of the game is controlling the movement, removing big tension in the legs and coordination. I've repeated this tens of thousands of times and so far no injury. I also can do this dropping the center of gravity but that needs control as it can lead to knee pressure if you dont do it right.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:17 pm

40 years no problem
The source might lie elsewhere
Incorrect alignment tension further up
Or an unconnected problem like driving
Is it right or left foot or both
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 pm

What Ken said re not dropping the weight.

In Chen Taiji, the foot stomp is like breaking ice on the surface of a pond: You want to crack the ice without falling into the hole you make.

I recall meeting Chen Xiaowang in around 1997 at a seminar held in a huge gym in the UK that had a solid wooden floor. When he did his fajing, the room vibrated. Pretty remarkable.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby blank on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Began baji in 1980 at age 30, stomped like a mofo for twenty years . No lingering foot problems. Don't be stupid though, like I was, by practicing on cement or asphalt.
To stomp without weighting or sinking into the leg is a wasted action; it's required for a kind of compression. Otherwise, it's an ornamental sound effect.
blank
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:37 pm

SNIP
To stomp without weighting or sinking into the leg is a wasted action
SNIP

Interesting opinion, but (at least in terms of Chen Taiji) wrong. Note the heads of masters when they stamp: Their heads don't drop.

Apply this principle to punching. Sure you can throw a heavy" punch that goes through the target, but you can also throw a short, sharp, snap punch that retracts immediately.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 pm

The first time I met Zhong Fusheng, the Eagle Claw master, was on the rooftop training area of my teacher's school. Master Zhong, standing in a mid-height cat stance, struck the floor with his unweighted leg. You could feel it through your feet about 5 feet away - it was like striking a drum.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 am

How about the knees? That too seems to be bothering me. I'm thinking it might genetics, or my work. I work on concrete all day long. Seems the last year or so they have really flared up.

It's my opinion that the modern environment we live in is sometimes not conducive to the old practices we do.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:35 am

Or maybe we just haven't been training correctly. The distinction about not dropping the weight that Dr Fish and Andy highlighted (thanks I appreciate the feedback) was not clarified to me. I'm going to go back and revisit some of those movements with that in mind - it should fit with the way I'm training to use the kua/legs at the moment.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Bodywork on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:18 am

Who ever stated it, good call on noticing the head not dropping, BTW.

How would you stomp without dropping the weight?
Why would you stomp without dropping the weight?
How do you punch without hip rotation and transfering weight?
Why punch without hip rotation and throwing the weight?
How is foot stomping related to fajing? Related to punching? Related to kicking?
When you see a taiji teacher spring his leg out and shake his body-without dropping his head...what is he doing? How is that related to the discussion?
What...in your body could produce that unnatural power-without dropping the weight?

The answers are all to be found in the arts and actually stated -and many times shown- by teachers (just like I said in the kua thread and then the references suddenly appeared).
These are sound and defensible mechanics at play in an unusual way.
So, since these things are supposedly taught, the real question is; why don't more people know the answers?
Last edited by Bodywork on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby roger hao on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:53 am

Do it on the elevator - it should bounce - when you reach high level the cables will snap and there is no more to learn.
roger hao

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:41 am

I was taught long ago not to drop the full body weight into a stomp on the right side while it was ok on the left. Something to do with the way the force rebounded into the left side of the torso/heart area. Curious if anyone else has info on this.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan