training with Shen Tiegen

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

training with Shen Tiegen

Postby chenyaolong on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:50 am

I believe a few others on this forum have trained with Master Shen too. I've been lucky to be able to start training with him since I'v been back in Shanghai. Here's a short blog post:

http://www.monkeystealspeach.co.uk/travelogue/training-with-master-shen-tiegen
chenyaolong
Wuji

Re: training with Shen Tiegen

Postby hodmeist on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:58 am

Good luck with Master Shen. It sounds a great opportunity.
hodmeist
Anjing

Postby chenyaolong on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks. He is a unique teacher.

Does anybody know the Wu Taiji 13 palms? From what I've seen so far, it kind of feels like how I imagine Mantis started off... a set of simple techniques that through slight variations open up myriad possibilities for application. It's encouraged me to go back to my Mantis and dissect Luan Jie (the "mother" form) more.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:04 am

The link just send me directly to stupid app store. :-\
Last edited by Bao on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:15 pm

strange it seems ok when i click on it. try just manually typing in monkeystealspeach.co.uk and going to the travelogue page
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri May 01, 2015 12:20 am

Good for you!

Your timing couldn't have been better.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri May 01, 2015 1:24 am

No, I get to the site and then there's a banner to a crappy game and it takes me to the app store. I checked other devices and they are ok. Only iPad seems to be affected.

So I read it and thanks for the short briefing. Hope that you will write more about it. I know about similar sets but never heard about that set of exercises. Anyway, I've never heard anyone who had had anything bad or even slightly negative to say about Mr Shen. Seems to be a really solid guy and an awesome teacher. 8-)

Last edited by Bao on Fri May 01, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby chenyaolong on Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks Bao, I'll look into that....

Yea, Shen is a really great teacher, and super nice guy too. He seems to get promoted for his Wu style mostly, but his Xinyi is solid too. I will try to write more as I progress with him anyway.... perhaps I could see if he's up for an interview too
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri May 01, 2015 8:05 am

Master Shen sees all martial arts as having the same goal but was most impressed with taiji's ability to generate power in close distances which is something he didn't see other styles developing.

For martial taiji you can't go wrong there!

For anyone else in Shanghai he just moved back and is accepting students.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri May 01, 2015 8:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri May 01, 2015 5:19 pm

So Shen's Hamburg project is over?
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Fri May 01, 2015 7:28 pm

chenyaolong wrote:Yea, Shen is a really great teacher, and super nice guy too. He seems to get promoted for his Wu style mostly, but his Xinyi is solid too. I will try to write more as I progress with him anyway.... perhaps I could see if he's up for an interview too

I had many options when it came to learning taichi, some choices with hsing-i & bagua and only one xinyi (who also taught hsingi, tai chi, chinna and baji). I tried out several and stuck to hsingi as an intro and then xinyi because my sifu exhibited far more power which he could use that it was an easy choice.

With hindsight it was the right decision for me as it took everything I learnt before and everything I do now and charged it right up. If I was in your position I'd insist on xinyi and then when you get exhausted in the class ask him to show you the tc form and applications and learn bit by bit. I would not push for sanda as the main lesson but you should spar with students as often as you can.

Also I dont know shen but the little snippet I saw if his 10 animal looked solid.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri May 01, 2015 11:09 pm

taiwandeutscher wrote:So Shen's Hamburg project is over?

The family lives in Shanghai so he's back for now to be with them.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri May 01, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Shanghaijay on Sat May 02, 2015 5:02 am

grzegorz wrote:
taiwandeutscher wrote:So Shen's Hamburg project is over?

The family lives in Shanghai so he's back for now to be with them.

Shen currently plans to be based out of Shanghai so anyone that is serious about studying should contact PM me and I am happy to introduce you to him.

He is also planning a Taiji throwing seminar in shanghai this month if he can nail down the venue.

Also considering seminars in the states and Belgium this summer but as of now there are no set dates.

Best!

Jay
Shanghaijay
Anjing

Postby nicklinjm on Sat May 02, 2015 8:26 pm

I for one would be very interested in the taiji throwing seminar Jay - could you PM me with details?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Sun May 03, 2015 2:20 am

dspyrido wrote:
chenyaolong wrote:Yea, Shen is a really great teacher, and super nice guy too. He seems to get promoted for his Wu style mostly, but his Xinyi is solid too. I will try to write more as I progress with him anyway.... perhaps I could see if he's up for an interview too

I had many options when it came to learning taichi, some choices with hsing-i & bagua and only one xinyi (who also taught hsingi, tai chi, chinna and baji). I tried out several and stuck to hsingi as an intro and then xinyi because my sifu exhibited far more power which he could use that it was an easy choice.

With hindsight it was the right decision for me as it took everything I learnt before and everything I do now and charged it right up. If I was in your position I'd insist on xinyi and then when you get exhausted in the class ask him to show you the tc form and applications and learn bit by bit. I would not push for sanda as the main lesson but you should spar with students as often as you can.

Also I dont know shen but the little snippet I saw if his 10 animal looked solid.

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I was thinking actually, also I feel Xinyi is gonna be closer to my previous Mantis training, so I'm not gonna have to unlearn too much.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan