Setting manageable training goals

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Setting manageable training goals

Postby Eric_H on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Hey y'all.

Lately I've been having some dialogue with my weightlifting coach about manageable goals, the nervous system and how people really progress in terms of physical skills in response to increased load. One of the things that I often struggle with is not backing off and doing things at a lower intensity with a higher degree of coordination and control to get a bigger gain overall when 1RM day comes around.

Naturally, I'm looking at my MA practice and running some evaluations as well - in part it seems where this issue stems from. In my Wing Chun training, I'd basically just train the sh!t out of something until it hopefully works. There are few checkpoints along the way (if any) because oftentimes structures/timing just don't work part-way, it's an all-or-nothing proposition.

So in facing that all-or-nothing ideal, how would you set a manageable lower-intensity goal when the end result isn't as measurable as something like the amount of weight you move? Really the only measurement I have is "did it work?"
http://www.hungfakwoon.com/ - Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Global HQ.
Eric_H
Anjing

Re: Setting manageable training goals

Postby middleway on Fri May 01, 2015 12:44 am

Funnily enough i posted a video on this topic not too long ago. Heres my basic ideas on training and goal setting :D

hope it makes sense and is perhaps useful. Of course each to their own and all that!
Last edited by middleway on Fri May 01, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan