Flying Monk Ep 14 - Meeting Paul Rogers and Bagua Boy

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Flying Monk Ep 14 - Meeting Paul Rogers and Bagua Boy

Postby lineofintent on Wed May 06, 2015 3:18 am

hi everyone

I recently visited again with Sifu Paul Rogers in Somerset, this time to document his story, teaching, lineage and the practice of his son Coltrane, the Bagua Boy.( Many will have seen his video clips on youtube, posted here under Ashapaul.)

It was a few years ago when I first contacted Paul, simply to say I appreciated his video clips and that I also practiced Zhang Zao Dong lineage Baguazhang, under my teacher Serge Augier.

I was still recovering from the effects of serious injury back then, and Paul was very helpful and generous in offering traditional medical assistance and friendship. We kept in touch until I was able to visit him, and that first meeting left me feeling very happy to meet someone with such a genuine love for the arts and such deep skill. After meeting Paul and having hands-on contact, I asked if he would be a subject of my ongoing attempt to document the masters and methods of the traditional arts of fighting, healing and cultivation.

His generous sharing of his lifestory, knowledge, skills and recollections of his teachers and the old masters has resulted in a series of DVDs which we have produced at Line of Intent Films. They weave technical information, forms, two man work, weapons, along with plenty of deep insights into martial practice and inspiring stories about how the older generation practice.

Like many of my subjects Paul is much more of a practitioner then a self-promoter, he doesn't talk or write about what he can do but enjoys showing it for real, he doesn't want big classes just serious guys who can commit to training and approach the teaching with respect. He is not someone you will go to just to 'pick up a few things' or 'check out what he's got'.....this is a practitioner who has trained full time for 30 years and knows how skill is slowly absorbed through oral transmission and 'tasting the bitter'.

Paul has deep ability, his sticking hands/push hands skills and ability to apply the fighting techniques from that range and to change instantaneously against any pressure is very refined, he can express the various types of jing or internal powers from Taijiquan, Bagua and Xingyi with clarity, and he can move from big circle to small circle to vanishing in a fraction of a second.

Its my passion to document people with real skill - men such as Serge Augier, Eiichi Tanaka and Steven Benitez - and here is another expert whose mind and art bears the imprint of a genuine lineage. As with the teachers I have studied with for many years this man clearly had teachers of the highest level. Hope you guys all enjoy the fruit of our time together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdyvvf1 ... e=youtu.be
lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Flying Monk Ep 14 - Meeting Paul Rogers and Bagua Boy

Postby middleway on Wed May 06, 2015 3:25 am

Video isn't public bro.

Look forward to seeing it.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Wed May 06, 2015 3:29 am

aha am trying to make it public now......
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Wed May 06, 2015 3:47 am

mobile at the moment, looks like will be online before 2pm...
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Wed May 06, 2015 4:43 am

Should be live now!
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed May 06, 2015 5:09 am

Good to finally hear and see some of Paul's personality. A really nice interview and look forward to more.

Thanks Alex, Paul and Coltrane.
Last edited by middleway on Wed May 06, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Wed May 06, 2015 5:53 am

Nice to see all 3 of you!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Aqui on Wed May 06, 2015 6:35 am

Wow, best of your flying monk talk shows so far!!! Thank you very much for making such great videos!

Is there a chance that you can make Paul's Dvds available as a download, like the Warrior Guards the mountain series (which is really amazing ). This way shipping & handling costs as well as import taxes could be safed!

Thanks,

Aqui
Aqui
Anjing

Postby Oliver 101 on Wed May 06, 2015 8:41 am

Just great, Alex.
Everyone who wants to see the real potential of high level chinese martial arts should get these DVDs.
You won't find something like this anywhere else.
Oliver 101
Anjing

Postby nicklinjm on Wed May 06, 2015 9:26 am

Really nice interview Alex, looking forward to seeing the material on the DVD!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Wed May 06, 2015 9:37 am

This is awesome, Alex. Glad to see your endeavor working out favorably. Paul is a great subject of study and as the father of an 11 year old young man, it's fun to see how others have gone about it.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby lineofintent on Wed May 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Thank you all very much for the positive feedback and to Yumi Matsumoto for filming.

I feel very greatful for Paul and our other film subjects sharing so deeply.

Probably will be offered as streaming video and DVD.

WGTM website will be up live in next day or two with new content and details of Paul's DVDs and many more new films and books.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby posidon on Sat May 09, 2015 11:20 am

Thank you Alex, for the continuing effort. All Flying Monk videos are great!! It doesn't stop to amaze me how humble are the really skilled people.
Congrats on the new WGTM website!!
My best regards
Evangelos
posidon
Mingjing

Postby lineofintent on Mon May 11, 2015 4:02 am

The first two DVDs (each about 1hr 50 mins) will start shipping end of this week. Not sure about Vimeo etc for now, maybe at some future time.

In each Paul Rogers gives a fascinating account of 30 years training intensively and living in Malaysia (Wu style Taijiquan), Hong Kong, and Tianjin , China (Yi Quan, Hebei Xingyiquan, Baguazhang) , with a lot of technical details of how to train, what to train, how the old masters practiced to develop explosive, penetrating power, stories of 'scary teachers', accounts of the old masters such as Zhang Zao Dong, Wang Xiang Zhai (founder of Yi Quan), Zhao Dao Xin (a fighter famous and feared throughout China, disciple of both Zhang and Wang), demonstrations of Xingyi five fists power and linking strategy, Taijiquan eight forces, Baguazhang theory and practice, big circle to small circle explanation, weapons, forms, circle walking, Bagua reason to practice bai kou bu steps, why Mind underlies all practice and how we can use it to change our martial skill....and much more.

Paul is very much someone who trained primarily to develop fighting skill, his teachers were clearly fighters, and he demos on these films on someone much bigger and heavier than himself (ie. me, almost going through the wall on several occasions ).

This is a personal story full of deep teachings, the fruit of 30 years practice.

Paul Rogers - the Legacy of the Chinese Fighting Masters. Part One and Two on DVD, each film £20 plus P/P.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Mon May 11, 2015 4:03 am

all enquiries please to Matt at

[email protected]

(no PMs here, it is full!)
lineofintent
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan