Spheric Peng Jing Diagram

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Spheric Peng Jing Diagram

Postby wingchun on Wed May 06, 2015 5:59 pm

I remember seeing a link to a diagram on this forum that shows a sphere and the vectors emanating from the center of the dan tien to a person's hand to demonstrate peng jin. can someone please re-post the link
Last edited by wingchun on Wed May 06, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wingchun
Mingjing

Re: Spheric Peng Jing Diagram

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 am

I drew this a while back, but not sure it is what you are looking for. (yes a one-dimension diagram, but think 3 dimension. block, Wedge, sphere)

Last edited by neijia_boxer on Thu May 07, 2015 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby wingchun on Thu May 07, 2015 12:54 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:I drew this a while back, but not sure it is what you are looking for. (yes a one-dimension diagram, but think 3 dimension. block, Wedge, sphere)

thank you for the reply neijia_boxer!
the diagram I am looking for was in 3D with a person in the center of the sphere with his dan tien as the center of the sphere and a line drawn out from his dan tien to his hand which was on the surface of the sphere. any help locating the link to this image would be great. the sphere was drawn something like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... eframe.png
wingchun
Mingjing

Postby LaoDan on Wed May 13, 2015 8:39 am

I do not know if this picture is similar to what you were looking for since it is relating a point on the back to the spherical energy of Taijiquan (as well as the sphere from the hands) rather than the dantien to the hands, but since nobody else seems to have found the picture that you wanted I thought that it would not hurt the thread to post it here.

LaoDan
Wuji

Postby wingchun on Wed May 13, 2015 3:00 pm

LaoDan wrote:I do not know if this picture is similar to what you were looking for since it is relating a point on the back to the spherical energy of Taijiquan (as well as the sphere from the hands) rather than the dantien to the hands, but since nobody else seems to have found the picture that you wanted I thought that it would not hurt the thread to post it here.

Thank you for the reply LaoDan!
No that's not the picture that I was looking for, I believe the picture i was looking for was in the book warriors of stillness on page 98
wingchun
Mingjing

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed May 13, 2015 5:06 pm

made these updates a few days ago.

Dao of Attack and Defense. Incoming attacking force is represented by the arrows going toward the person in the "shapes" and how the shape counters great force. Counter attacks are the arrows going toward attacker from inside the various shapes. Neutralization is at the Point of contact and more circular shape using spine as the axis.

The shapes represent certain types of postures in the Yang form. Push, Brush knee, Press, Fair maiden, Body punch are examples of "square family" of postures. Fan through back and single whip are examples the "wedge family". Pung jin, cloud hands, and many of the transitional postures (like two fishes, turn and chop with fist, turn 180, turn and sweep) are examples in the "circular family". The each shape has a lot to do with hip/kua placement: open and closed along with shoulder with hips angles and leverage. None is absolute, just relative. This diagram was created for my guys who are trying it out Taijiquan skills vs. competitors of Jujitsu, Judo, and wrestling. It is taught as a drill within live stand-up grappling and how to unbalance your opponent using the shapes interchangeably.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Wed May 13, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Activeghost on Fri May 22, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm not sure I agree. It feels like in your explanation the shapes act to give mental form to your pushing so you can recruit more intent in them and "counter great force". If so, why do you need a shape at the point of attraction based on some expected effect or response to the opponent? I find that things fall completely apart when I "try" and wind up reaching outside of myself to cause or counter some reaction.
Activeghost
Santi

Postby windwalker on Fri May 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Your use of "yang family taijiquan" title

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/association/

would the the "yang family" agree with your presentation
windwalker
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri May 22, 2015 7:15 pm

windwalker wrote:Your use of "yang family taijiquan" title

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/association/

I am a member of the Yang family association since 2003. The diagram I showed was taught to me by a student of Yang Zhenjie, who used to conduct seminars for Yang Zhenjie, Yang Zhendou, and Yang Jun in the mid-90's before the establishment of the Yang family association in Seattle. I keep it that name because he says it is from Yang Zhenjie.
neijia_boxer

Postby willywrong on Sat May 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Snip
"windwalker" said Your use of "yang family taijiquan" title

Snip

Snip
I
am a member of the Yang family association since 2003. The diagram I showed was taught to me by a student of Yang Zhenjie, who used to conduct seminars for Yang Zhenjie, Yang Zhendou, and Yang Jun in the mid-90's before the establishment of the Yang family association in Seattle. I keep it that name because he says it is from Yang Zhenjie
Snip

"Don't throw rocks at every dog that barks at you" George Silver ;)
willywrong

Postby windwalker on Sat May 23, 2015 9:56 pm

willywrong wrote:Snip
"windwalker" said Your use of "yang family taijiquan" title

Snip

Snip
I
am a member of the Yang family association since 2003. The diagram I showed was taught to me by a student of Yang Zhenjie, who used to conduct seminars for Yang Zhenjie, Yang Zhendou, and Yang Jun in the mid-90's before the establishment of the Yang family association in Seattle. I keep it that name because he says it is from Yang Zhenjie
Snip

"Don't throw rocks at every dog that barks at you" George Silver ;)

I think there maybe some misunderstanding.
My understanding was the "yang family" specifically chose the name "yang family taiji quan" to insure that it was recognized as their ancestors teachings, not one of the many variants of what are called"yang style" taiji. Found it interesting that someone would use this name if they had no association with the family style.

Which is not the case.

As to the diagram shown, I dont really agree with it, it would take to long to explain.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon May 25, 2015 12:50 pm

I know the yang family have claimed the branding
Many linages would claim a stronger bond to yang family linage than their prodigy
Such as Fu tung etc
What I have practiced since 1973 has always been called yang family tai chi
I will still call it that regardless of commercial imperatives
As I see the yang family seem to omit many parts that were passed on to others
Last edited by wayne hansen on Mon May 25, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon May 25, 2015 1:12 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I know the yang family have claimed the branding
Many linages would claim a stronger bond to yang family linage than their prodigy
Such as Fu tung etc
What I have practiced since 1973 has always been called yang family tai chi
I will still call it that regardless of commercial imperatives
As I see the yang family seem to omit many parts that were passed on to others

just wondered about the use of the name "branding"

what ones practice is,
is ones practice. ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Mon May 25, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon May 25, 2015 4:00 pm

There has been some talk on here previously on people not having the right to use that name
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 pm

"windwalker"

Snip
I think there maybe some misunderstanding.
My understanding was the "yang family" specifically chose the name "yang family taiji quan" to insure that it was recognized as their ancestors teachings, not one of the many variants of what are called"yang style" taiji. Found it interesting that someone would use this name if they had no association with the family style.

Which is not the case.
Snip

I think talking about the name or who might own it distracts from the thread.

"windwalker"
Snip
As to the diagram shown, I dont really agree with it, it would take to long to explain.
Snip

I don't find the diagram particularly easy to read and I much prefer diagrams of not too linear nature as I have no problem seeing the geometry inside a circle.
Last edited by willywrong on Mon May 25, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan